BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
ksrph

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Unhappy Cannot display photos or access help. Also, Desktop Manager issues.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

My kids got me a BB Pearl for Mother's Day this year. I feel obligated to keep it since it was a gift but I am having so many problems with it.

1) My camera was working fine for a week until I installed the Desktop manager. Now, I cannot display any pictures. Ones I took before with the phone, ones I transferred from my computer (via USB) nor ones I take now.

I CAN see the thumbnail preview, but when I click on a photo, I get a "Unable to display file/Device Memory/home/user/pictures/filename.jpg" This happens when I try to open preloaded pictures as well.

I also have the same problem with opening a mp3 (that I had transferred via USB)

2) When I click on the "?" (Help) in Applications, I get this: "error starting net_rim_bb_help: Module'net_rim_ecmascript' not found"

3) I tried turning off the phone and removing the battery. When I replaced it and turned the phone back on, I got this: "Uncaught exception: application registry wait for 0xac3Ae76427d17f19 timeout"

4)
I went to RIM's Blackberry site and saw this on their support site:
To connect your BlackBerry device to your computer using Bluetooth technology, complete the following steps:

1. On the Advanced Settings tab in BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager, click View information.
2. Select the Enable Bluetooth Support check box.
3. Click Configure Bluetooth.
4. Click Add.
5. In the Bluetooth devices list, click your BlackBerry device.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Detect to connect your BlackBerry device to your computer using Bluetooth technology.

When I connect my BB to my laptop via USB, and run the BB Desktop Manager, there is no "Advanced Options" choice. All I have are: "Application Loader", "Backup and Restore", "Media Manager", "Switch Device Wizard" and "Synchronize"

On the menu bar, under "Options" there is a choice for "Connection Settings" When I select this, there is a field that says "Bluetooth Settings" but it doesn't let me select it; it is not highlighted. If it were, it would show me "Enable Bluetooth Support", "Automatically switch from Bluetooth to USB when USB is connected" and a button that says "Configure Bluetooth" Again, none of these are highlighted so I cannot select them.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
ksrph

Question Please help!

I contacted RIM. They told me to contact my wireless provider. I contacted Cingular.

Cingular said I'd need to purchase a 3G SIM card in order for my phone to work. The rep said my original SIM card wasn't designed for the Blackberry and that's why I am having problems with the phone.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this? The phone was working fine until I installed the Desktop Manager.

Please help!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

ksrph, where are you physically located, what country. There are no 3G BlackBerrys in the US (as of this date). I believe only Europe and Australia have 3G models.

2) Read here to fix:
BlackBerry Search Results

3) Could be related to above.

I am not sure about the Bluetooth issues, I have not used BT to connect to desktop, just the USB.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-24-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
stevielive
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: The Toilet
Carrier: AT&T

The same thing happened to me. You have to install Desktop Manager onto your computer (do not install with your BB connected to your computer), then USB connect your BB after the Desktop Manager is installed on your computer desktop. I had to reset my BB, taking out the battery, etc., and basically rebooting the smartphone. My Pearl is operating flawlessly now...
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
ksrph

I am in the US. I had a Motorola V550 before (and a V330 before that) and always used the same SIM card. This was the original SIM card I had gotten from Cingular.

I just don't understand how updating a SIM card would help me with displaying my photos.

But thanks for the link. I have downloaded the Blackberry Device software and once my husband brings back the phone, I will try to update it. (He is going to a Cingular store to ask about a 3G SIM card.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
ksrph, where are you physically located, what country. There are no 3G BlackBerrys in the US (as of this date). I believe only Europe and Australia have 3G models.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
ksrph

What's the "etc." part? What else did you do besides take out the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielive View Post
I had to reset my BB, taking out the battery, etc., and basically rebooting the smartphone. My Pearl is operating flawlessly now...
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think some of your problems will be cleared up by performing the update as I suggested. Your picture viewing issue could be as simple as that also, or a memory issue, which pulling the battery and rebooting might solve.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-24-2007 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
ksrph

OK I downloaded and installed the BlackBerry Device software. I connected the BlackBerry to my computer via USB and ran the Desktop Manager.

I then clicked on Application Loader and got this:

Application Loader Wizard

Device Application Version Check - Do you wish to downgrade your device's system software?

The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

- Leave the applications on the device unchanged (Recommended)
select this option if you want to continue using the applications that are currently installed on the device

- Replace the device's applications with the older version provided by the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
select this option if you want to install the older applications

I tried doing the first one (leave unchanged) but I still couldn't see the pictures on my phone. Am I supposed to disconnect the phone or do something for the changes to take effect? Or should I replace the applications with the older software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I think some of your problems will be cleared up by performing the update as I suggested. Your picture viewing issue could be as simple as that also, or a memory issue, which pulling the battery and rebooting might solve.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
heavychevy

after you installed the OS and opened DM, in the list of apps were there any boxes unchecked? You need to make sure everything is checked. This is the exact problem i had after i connected my phone to DM for the 1st time, apparently its a common problem.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrph View Post

Application Loader Wizard

Device Application Version Check - Do you wish to downgrade your device's system software?

The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

- Leave the applications on the device unchanged (Recommended)
select this option if you want to continue using the applications that are currently installed on the device

- Replace the device's applications with the older version provided by the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
select this option if you want to install the older applications

Did you download the same software you have on your blackberry or a different verison? You can see what verison you have if you go to options>about
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
ksrph

I have BlackBerry 8100 v 4.2.0.73 (Platform 2.2.0.41)
Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.28

I downloaded this from Cingular's website: Software For BlackBerry Pearl (Maine Slate 8100c)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.88 (Multilang)

Package Version: 4.2.0.88
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.0.71
* Software Platform: 2.2.0.41
* File name: 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel88_PL2.2.0.41_A4.2.0.71_Cingular .exe
* File size: 68.01MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
Did you download the same software you have on your blackberry or a different verison? You can see what verison you have if you go to options>about
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
heavychevy

yea it looks like you downloaded previous version. You will need to find the .73 not the .71. It should be there, i have the same version as you...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
ksrph

Thumbs up

Thanks to JSanders and HeavyChevy! The link JSanders provided helped a lot. I was able to download the device support from Cingular (the right version, as suggested by HeavyChevey)

I can again view my photos and hear my mp3's

I wonder why the Cingular rep told me I had to use a 3G SIM card??? Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
yea it looks like you downloaded previous version. You will need to find the .73 not the .71. It should be there, i have the same version as you...
Closed Thread