manpreet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mo
Default Using a USB cable from another device with 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

I have a new, week old, 8700g that came equipped with standard accessories out of the box (including the thick USB cable). I also happen to have a VZ Wireless XV6700 Pocket PC device that has a closely identical (but thinner) mini-USB to USB cable that can be used for data and recharging.

Since I'd like to leave one cable plugged in the pc at home AND a pc at work (same laptop, just using a dock), without having to buy another cable, do you think (from what you know) that the mini-USB/USB cable from the VZ Wireless XV6700 should be ok? I will be honest ...I have used it to charge and sync my 8700g without issues, but only tried a few times...I don't know what the long term implications are, if any. I don't know if these cables are made to regulate the actual current transferred to charge the device, especially a device OTHER than the one it came with.

If anyone knows anything of this or has prior experience of this nature, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

Manpreet
Old 06-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

I believe the USB spec is such that you can't fry a device by plugging it in to a hub/master with power. Underwriter's Lab (UL) would never approve a power connection that could have mismatched voltages. The current draw is up to the device.

Just give it a try. No long term implications.

The 8700 may require the Desktop Manager software on the PC before accepting the charge though.

Last edited by theBorg; 06-21-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
manpreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
I believe the USB spec is such that you can't fry a device by plugging it in to a hub/master with power. Underwriter's Lab (UL) would never approve a power connection that could have mismatched voltages. The current draw is up to the device.

Just give it a try. No long term implications.

The 8700 may require the Desktop Manager software on the PC before accepting the charge though.
Thanks Borgmeister...that's sort of what I thought (but not so eloquently stated as YOU put it).
Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreet View Post
Hi guys,

I have a new, week old, 8700g that came equipped with standard accessories out of the box (including the thick USB cable). I also happen to have a VZ Wireless XV6700 Pocket PC device that has a closely identical (but thinner) mini-USB to USB cable that can be used for data and recharging.

Since I'd like to leave one cable plugged in the pc at home AND a pc at work (same laptop, just using a dock), without having to buy another cable, do you think (from what you know) that the mini-USB/USB cable from the VZ Wireless XV6700 should be ok? I will be honest ...I have used it to charge and sync my 8700g without issues, but only tried a few times...I don't know what the long term implications are, if any. I don't know if these cables are made to regulate the actual current transferred to charge the device, especially a device OTHER than the one it came with.

If anyone knows anything of this or has prior experience of this nature, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

Manpreet

you can use whatever USB cable with the 8700g, along with any other device....hence the name... Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
manpreet

Thanks for the replies, guys. The reason I ask is because RIM repeatedly mentions in the documentation and on their site to ONLY USE THE SUPPLIED/ APPROVED batteries, and I never heard any mention about the data cable...so I can't exactly afford to fry my unit and go out and get another one. I know the whole USB concept makes sense, but I just couldn't afford taking a chance.

So...why the big deal with ONLY using RIM's batteries? I have had other devices in the past and I know you can get a replacement non-OEM for just about any phone...what's the deal with only using RIM's batteries? Has anyone used a no-name replacement or know of anyone who did? Did it vaporize the unit? Don't worry, I'm too chicken-$hit to do it, I'm just curious. Even if I COULD afford to replace the unit, I love it too much to see it go bye-bye.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Very generally non-OEM batteries will be fine. Look out for weak batteries though. You want to get one with a similar power rating (mAh), which basically tells you how long the battery will hold a charge.

For ultra-cheap replacements, there can be an issue with the power being unclean or noisy. It shouldn't fry anything, but deviations from nominal voltage can cause unpredictable behavior.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I use the cable that came with my iPod when I am at home. Works great. Transfers data and charges as well.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I use the thin cable that came with my Mio Digiwalker GPS with no problems.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

i use a splitter i got online to charge the bb and hs-655
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Manpreet
i'll say it again...you can use any USB cable. it's not like an electrical socket which requires a transformed for your device if it can't handle the current (aka, the big bulky part that plugs into the wall or that sits midway on a cord like a laptop power cord)

for the blackberry, you can use any usb cable that fits. you won't short circuit anything, the USB provides very low power anyway...it should be fine.

i wouldn't worry

***PLEASE DELETE, THANK YOU ***
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Manpreet
i'll say it again...you can use any USB cable. it's not like an electrical socket which requires a transformer for your device if it can't handle the current (aka, the big bulky part that plugs into the wall or that sits midway on a cord like a laptop power cord)

for the blackberry, you can use any usb cable that fits. you won't short circuit anything, the USB provides very low power anyway...it should be fine.

i wouldn't worry
Closed Thread