Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
mediaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Physical Security when carrying the Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

On a daily basis, I carry the BB in the holster case on my belt and love it. Works for me.

I will be going on vacation next month - a baltic cruise - and was planning to simply leave the BB at home as I don’t need it re business ( I'm on vacation!)......however I do enjoy the convenience of having all my personal emergency/contact/travel info with me, the ability to call/text whenever I want etc. But like a wallet, I need to be cautious re pickpockets etc.

What do others do in this situation? I'm going thru a few options in my head, ie

1 - keep the holster, just use an elastic band around it so it can't be easily taken out
2 - forget the holster and keep the unit in a buttoned front pants pocket
3 - put the unit with my waist money belt ( though it might get a tad uncomfortable there!!)
4 - keep the unit is the cabin safe while on board/touring.

I am leaning with Option 1 while travelling and Option 4 once I am on board/touring ( and simply keep a paper copy of important numbers with me).

I am laughing at myself now with regard to being guilty of a liitle too much over-thinking here!! - I guess I need a vacation! ! But I do love the blackberry!! And don’t want to lose it!! And who better to offer me advice than fellow users!

Tx
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I would agree with you on Options 1 and 4. If I were in a crowded area, I might take and drop it in my front pants pocket for a while.
And, it is worth over-thinking.

Before you go, make a complete backup of your BB, as well sync your data to Outlook if you do.

And don't stand at the side rail of the cruise ship texting or writing emails!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Default Re

If he is on a cruise, he will not be writing or texting e-mails because he will not have any coverage.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
If he is on a cruise, he will not be writing or texting e-mails because he will not have any coverage.
According to his location, he might, at times (but that is not point of his questions, is it?).
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
IanR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: vodafone

Being from Scotland I would suggest you try the Kilt. You can then put your BB in the Sporran which is worn at the front of the kilt. My only other suggestion would be as you are cruising in the Baltics I would not follow the traditional scottish custom of wearing nothing under it. (Very drafty)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The best place to put it would be ur womans' bust
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
That may be true on his service, however Verizon now offers coverage on certain cruise ships (for a fee).

I personally wear my BB holster on my belt or on the outside of the front pocket. When I'm going to a bad area, I still wear it on the outside pocket, but I reverse it so the BB is inside the pocker and the clip is showing rather then the other way around.

Erik
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
mediaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
When I'm going to a bad area, I still wear it on the outside pocket, but I reverse it so the BB is inside the pocker and the clip is showing rather then the other way around.

Erik
Erik - Reversng is a great tip. I prefer a belt over a pocket ; not sure how that might work with a belt...I guess it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I would agree with you on Options 1 and 4. If I were in a crowded area, I might take and drop it in my front pants pocket for a while.
JSanders, many thanks for a serious reply, and some appropriate cautions!

Curious - are there other holsters (or other cases) out there that are more secure than the basic one??

Last edited by mediaman; 06-26-2007 at 12:11 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Agree with the advice to back up the BB beforehand. Also, set the password and put it on a short time out. If it were me and I was in street clothes, I'd be wearing a jacket or windbreaker, and I'd put the BB in an inside pocket, preferrably buttoned or zipped, if I were worried. If out in the open without people close and bumping into me, I'd wear it on my belt. If on the ship and in classic comfortable attire, I'd leave the BB in my cabin out of site. That's me.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
mediaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

About backing up the BB......I am on BES, so everything important to me , ie email, contacts, calendar, notes and tasks is on the company Outlook Exchange server.....which I auto sync to. As well, I am not allowed to download any software. Finally I dont store any media files on the BB....so am I not always backed up already??

I assumme what I am missing is personal preferences etc.

To 'fully' backup, does one simply use the Backup icon in the desktop manager??
Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
europamo

Model: 8830

All good advice above, but my advice is, your on holiday, leave it home. The point is to rest your mind, body and soul!
Alexandre Dumas
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman View Post
4 - keep the unit is the cabin safe while on board/touring.
That's what I did on my last cruise.

Quote:
Depends on the ship he's on. Some ships do have coverage.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Spencer_CDS

PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
Being from Scotland I would suggest you try the Kilt. You can then put your BB in the Sporran which is worn at the front of the kilt. My only other suggestion would be as you are cruising in the Baltics I would not follow the traditional scottish custom of wearing nothing under it. (Very drafty)
^_^ Best. Suggestion. Ever.

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Closed Thread