Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Gh0ztt

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Maybe switching to Curve/8300 from Blackjack... a few questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't seem to find exact answers for a few questions that I have.

First off, I have never had a Blackberry before. After reading about the new Curve I'm considering one though. I recently purchased a Samsung Blackjack, but after reading alot of negative stuff regarding battery life and overall functionality compared to Blackberry I am thinking of returning it and picking up the Curve.

Basically there a few things that I really like on the Blackjack, and I wanted to see how those same things functioned on the Curve:

- Google Maps with satellite view - This seems to be pretty peppy on the Blackjack with the 3G speeds. Will Google maps work well on the Curve?

- The screen on the Blackjack seems to be very high resolution. How does that compare on the Curve?

- How does web browsing on the Curve do speed wise and layout wise? I'm thinking I'll be happy with EDGE because it seems like most sites I read are mainly text based.

- Durability - To me the Blackjack seems kind of fragile. How is the Curve? Specifically I'm wondering if the Curve can be "pocketed" without having to worry about the screen getting scratched/broken.... or is it even small enough to fit in a pocket easily?

- Data plan - With the Blackjack I have the $39.99 unlimited plan that gives me unlimited internet access but no text messaging. Is the equivilent plan for the Blackberry the $29.99 plan?

- E-mail retrieval - On the Blackjack I just set my POP account up and the Blackjack essentially functions just like a PC, connecting to the POP server and downloading the mail. My understanding is that with the BIS plan the actual BIS server connects to my POP account and then it is the BIS server that pushes the e-mail out to the Curve, is that correct?

- How is the voice quality on the phone? I use my phone as a phone more than anything else so call clarity and volume is very important to me.

I will be using this strictly as a personal device, no BES. I will use it as Phone, E-mail, Internet, MP3, Camera... in that order of importance.

Thanks in advance for any answers! Love the forum.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
michaelp07

Model: 8300

Quote:
- Google Maps with satellite view - This seems to be pretty peppy on the Blackjack with the 3G speeds. Will Google maps work well on the Curve?
I haven't used Google Maps, but the standard Telenav is very similar to Google Maps (but with no satellite view). I am pleased with the reload time.

Quote:
- The screen on the Blackjack seems to be very high resolution. How does that compare on the Curve?
It has the same resolution as the Blackjack (320x240), but the screen on the Curve is larger (2.4" as opposed to 2.0"). It is very clear and vibrant.

Quote:
- How does web browsing on the Curve do speed wise and layout wise? I'm thinking I'll be happy with EDGE because it seems like most sites I read are mainly text based.
It renders noticeably faster than Pocket Internet Explorer. I came from the T-Mobile SDA, surfing via WiFi. And surfing over EDGE seems faster on the same sites. If you're just doing text, you will be just fine. You also may want to check out the Opera 4 beta browser. I like it very much.

Quote:
- Durability - To me the Blackjack seems kind of fragile. How is the Curve? Specifically I'm wondering if the Curve can be "pocketed" without having to worry about the screen getting scratched/broken.... or is it even small enough to fit in a pocket easily?
I can pocket my Curve and hardly notice it. Just to be safe, I keep the screen side to my leg, in case I scratch it against something. The buttons on the Blackjack felt kind of cheap to me. The Curve feels solid yet light and small.

Quote:
- Data plan - With the Blackjack I have the $39.99 unlimited plan that gives me unlimited internet access but no text messaging. Is the equivilent plan for the Blackberry the $29.99 plan?
The $29.99 gives you unlimited internet plus 1500 text messages/IMs

Quote:
- E-mail retrieval - On the Blackjack I just set my POP account up and the Blackjack essentially functions just like a PC, connecting to the POP server and downloading the mail. My understanding is that with the BIS plan the actual BIS server connects to my POP account and then it is the BIS server that pushes the e-mail out to the Curve, is that correct?
I LOVE the email on the Curve. It is much easier to setup than Windows Mobile. I just put in my email address, password, and email type, and it autoconfiged everything. It was very handy, because my work email has SSL and all sorts of security that it figured out on its own. I do not know about the BIS coming straight from the Blackberry server, but I do know that I usually get emails within a minute of them being sent. It's not the "instant push email," but less than a minute is fast enough for me.

Quote:
- How is the voice quality on the phone? I use my phone as a phone more than anything else so call clarity and volume is very important to me.
People say I am noticeably clearer on the Curve than my old SDA. It is probably the phone, but it could also be the switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. I can hear people just fine. I haven't done extensive testing with Bluetooth, but I am pleased with voice quality on less than maximum levels.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Backlash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

When i got my Curve, I went to the AT&T store with the intention of looking at the blackjack and the pearl. (i didn't know the Curve was even out, never followed the BB scene much)

Since i have had multiple PocketPC's over the last 9 years, i wanted a Smartphone instead of any other type. BB or Palm.

I choose the Curve after being able to compare the Blackjack and Curve side by side in the store. you'll like the Curve. i figured i had 30 days to return the Curve and get the blackjack if i didn't like the BB. didn't take me long to forget that idea.

just a side note, the battery life with the blackjack can be fixed. it's the 3G turned on that burns the battery life. (i did some research with the blackjack since i almost got it) there are ways to very easily turn 3G off when you dont need it, and back on when you do. Basicly create two "contacts". I forgot how to do it, but it's basicly the key codes set into a contact that when you "call" it turns the 3G on or off.
read that it almost triples the battery life... you can search for the fix if you decide on the blackjack. just remember it's the 3G that burns the life, not anything else on the phone, not sure if it's a samsung thing or 3G itself.

Go with the curve you will find it meets every one of your needs quite well.

as for the voice quality, i think it does have more to do with the carrier where you live. here where i am, AT&T and T-Mobile are the clearest. it don't matter what phone you have, Verizon call quality sucks... then again they only have CDMA.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have used both extensively. I stick with the Blackjack because of the ability to stream internet radio flawlessly, stream video (i.e. Slingbox), and because of the better internet page rendering, and better multimedia viewing with the Blackjack (with TCPMP media is handled effortlessly- i.e. A2DP with video, which the Curve does not have).

I have wanted to switch back to a Blackberry because battery life is terrible with the Blackjack. Even with turning off 3G and only using it when necessary, it's still pretty bad. Typing on the Curve is easier too because of the autotext.

So choose your battle. They both have positives and negatives. I am waiting for the Blackberry application suite to come out- that way I can have a Blackberry on my Blackjack and have the best of both worlds at once!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
sagobro

Prior to getting the curve, I too was a blackjack user. Let me tell you something..you won't regret getting the curve. the functionality is far superior than the blackjack. I was frequently getting frustrated with windows mobile and I felt like I wasn't fully using the phone.

Here's why I like the 8300 more than the blackjack;

1) screen size seems a lot bigger
2) qwerty keyboard spaced out perfectly for bigger hands. my hands would ache if I texted a lot with the blackajck
3) e-mail setup is very easy.
4) call volume is a lot louder on the curve

Please switch. I threw my blackjack on the ground once because I was so frustrated with it. Surpisingly, the dang thing didn't break. I guess that's one advantage.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have had both the Samsung BlackJack...and the BlackBerry 8300 Curve. Chose the Curve...and have never looked back or regretted the decision.

Neither will you.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Gh0ztt

Model: N/A

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up trading in the Blackjack and picked up the 8300. I already can tell that I liked it WAY better than the Blackjack!

The EDGE speed seems to be fast enough for most tasks. Even Google Maps in satellite view doesn't seem too far off the 3G speed of the Blackjack.
Closed Thread