BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default More than 2 "work number" fields for 8830?

Please Login to Remove!

I tired a search but didn't find what I was looking for, but of course appologize if this has already been discussed...

Is there a way to add another "work phone number" field to a contact for the 8830 for Verizon? I know that one can add another e-mail address field for a contact, any way to do this for the phone number fields? Thanks. (by the way, if you aren't able to do this, I think this should be a feature added to future devices/os)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

My Sprint 8830 from has 'Work' and 'Work 2', and 'Home' and 'Home 2'..... by default, I didn't have to add them.

Must be Verizon disabled that feature, too.....
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry for being unclear...I have "work" and "work 2" (and "home" and "home 2" and "fax" and "other" and whatever else), but what I want is to add is "work 3" or "work 4," for example.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Ohhhhh.... wow, I'd run screaming if I had multiple work phone number for myself. The one I have is bad enough since it never stops ringing.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
AuroraProject
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Change one of the "User" headers to "Work 3".
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Nice tip, AuroraProject.

I wonder if the Voice Dialing recognizes that as a phone number field...?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for the "user field" tip, but it doesn't recognize that field as a phone number, so dial from home doesn't bring that up as an option...the reason I am asking about this is that what I actually want to do is list a few phone numbers I have for different people at the same business so that I can have one entry for the buisness in address book, but have all the contacts at the company listed in one place. I know that I can put 2 of the numbers in the work field, and then put some in home and other, etc. and that it would be fine, but I am kind of compulsive (to a fault, like now) and wanted to list all the numbers as "work" numbers, and not some as "work" and some as "home numbers"
Old 07-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

surf... do this, so you can see all the employees of the one company.
Enter each as a separate contact, with the company name in the proper field "Company". Your BB will search on the company name if you go to address book and start typing "X E R O", all the contacts with Xerox in their name (first, last or company) will pull up in one list on the screen. Just like if you want to look at all your Smith entries...

Besides, your method, how will enter all those name for all those people, in the one contact?

That way, you can have each in their proper place and use your BB as intended.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
AuroraProject
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Hmm, you're right, the user fields don't appear when dialing from the home screen. I hadn't noticed this before. Looks like I'm going to have to redo a few contacts!

That means I'm going to have to separate all my couples into individual contacts, as they all have their own mobile number.

Edit: I hate how changes made to the user fields are global, why would they do that? For example, if I change the user1 field to "Dans Cell" for one contact, all contacts have a field that says "Dans Cell". How dumb is that?

Last edited by AuroraProject; 07-13-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure how I missed the "company" field, but that of course is the best solution. I also now realized that I am incorrectly using the "title" field for where i should be using the "company" field in some other contacts...What I was going to do was fill in all the fields, then in the notes section note that "home" was "smith" and "home 2" was "Jane," or "work 3" (as I wanted) was "bill," for example. Then when dialing from home just try and remember who was listed under whatever field, and check the notes section of the contact if I forgot. But thanks for the tip!
Closed Thread