Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
MJ-bos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default AudioBay Podcast Player (OTA)

Please Login to Remove!

Well, looks like I'm the guinea pig for this software on my 8830... even though there wasn't a trial verson on handango, I bought it on faith.

So far, it's not working at all - I'm working on it via email with the developer, and will report back if/when it does work.

Are there any other Juice-like podcatchers? I've come up with only AudioBay in my quest.

Cheers,
mj
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Next time post on here for comments on the app before you purchase it. Someone might know something about it.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
MJ-bos

I only did it 1/2 way - I searched here and on PinStack, which is where I learned about the app. People didn't like the $ and no trial, but nobody shared that they bought it and tried it.

Hopefully will get somewhere with the dev. - the joys of being the first kid on the block with a new toy :/
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
MJ-bos

Update: developer made some changes and it works like a charm. Very cool, now I can directly grab podcasts w/o hooking up to my laptop when traveling. Next challenge, getting Audible up and running.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
MJ-bos

Ok, Audible downloaded, activated, and my library shows up... all in about 7 minutes. Now I'm off to Ebay to sell my Sansa E250 player. At this rate, my Dell Axim is next to go on Ebay !

-mj
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
johnsheih

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SPRINT
Default Audible on 8830 Sprint

MJ-BOS,

Could you share with me how you downloaded and activated your audible player?

I followed their beta test instruction, received a SMS message, and installed the player OTA. However, I couldn't get it to login to my account (double checked the user name and password to be correct).

I followed further instructions to change my TCP setting and completely ruined the 1XEV connection. After 6 hours phone calls with Sprint's tech support, I ended up with completely wiping out my BlackBerry's content and the tech helped me to restore the 1XEV service.

Based on this unsuccessful experience, I am looking for a step by step guidance to try it again.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
MJ-bos

John - sorry for the delay in responding - forgot to turn on email notification :(

Audible is definitely more "familiar" with GSM phones - Tmo and ATT - for Sprint, you can't follow their instructions for entering an APN.

My set-up is:

TCP - apn fileds all blank
Browser - both default and MDS browsers set to internet

I got overly excited because my .aa files played flawlessly ... OTA downloads are not working for me. While I can connect and see my library files, even update the lists, I've not been successful downloading files (even in small chunks).

I'll have to work with Audible tech support on this one.

This has been a bit of a "quest" for me lately ... here's what else I've learned:

1. Audiobay is very problematic for me on my 8830 despite a dozen+ emails with the developer. I'll be returning it to Handingo (slow and spotty downloads, doesn't allow authentication for protected casts)

2. NewsGator GO - great for text RSS feeds, podcasts show up but aren't downloadable (unsupported application type)

3. VoiceIndigo - using the java version from the web page - this has the most potential so far. They do a great job compressing files (i.e. some of my casts that are normally 16Mb+ are scrunched to under 5Mb). They also can chunk them into "chapters" to get under the 5Mb limit (not sure if that's a BB limit or my BES imposing a limit). And they also support authentication. On the down side, it's a lot of work to hunt down the right episode and specify the location (each time).

I just finished setting up my other half's new Mogul and am GREEN with envy - HubDog, SmartRSS, AudioBay (works well on PPC)- all work flawlessly and can be set to run automatically on a schedule.

BLACKBERRY DEVELOPERS - ANYONE UP TO THE CHALLENGE???
Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
suniljm

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Any luck with the AudioBay Podcast Player on the 8800? I am seriously interested in this product -- but would only pay if it works as advertised. I would love to download OTA podcasts for my commute to work every morning.

Please let me know.

TIA
Old 09-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
MJ-bos

I can't recoomend Audiobay.

I just set-up my husband with a Mogul (WM6) and have been going through a similarly PAINFUL experience of trying to make this work on that platform.

Actually, it's more painful on the Windows Mobile side - there are 5-6 possible applications and each one works to some extent - I'm just not finding one that does "it all" - automation, authentication, retention. BUT... at least on the WM side, there are lots of fall-back options - NewsGator, direct download from the site, etc. Things we can't do on the BB platform :( At least until 4.3 (maybe)?

I put out a challenge to WM developers and will reiterate it here to any BB developers who are looking at this ... I WANT JUICE (formerly iPodder) FUNCTIONALITY ON MY HANDHELD.

That means...

- Input a series of RSS podcast feed
- Be able to enter authentication information (user/pass)
- Set retention information (# podcasts, days)
- Have the ability to automatically check for & then download new podcasts (that means it needs to keep track of what's already been downloaded)
- Perform the check & download on a defined schedule (as well as clean-up)

I can't be the only person who wants (and will pay for) the ability to pick up my handheld and have it "fresh" with podcasts. I mean, this is why we have BlackBerries in the first place - email push. I guess this would be podcast push!

I've also made a pitch to the Juice team about creating a plug-in for Juice to also act as a server that could accept requests from a Berry and do something similar to what VoiceIndigo does with the ultra-compression. That seems more difficult (to me, at least) than making a podcatcher.

-mj
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
vronp

Carrier: Verizon

MJ,

You're not alone.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
vronp

Carrier: Verizon

Adding to my spartan remark.

I have the 8820 on Cingular and it has Wi-Fi capability. This obviously is a great setup for downloading the podcasts. I'm looking forward to podcast capability in Newgator Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post
MJ,

You're not alone.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
sross222

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Voice Indigo on BB Curve?

I'm trying to get the Voice Indigo app on my Curve, but Voice Indigo is pushing me to their portal instead...aparently the app isn't supported on the Curve?

Does anyone have it working?
Closed Thread