Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
elsie

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Angry Why won't it...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having a few probs with my admittedly, very pretty, 8330.

The mac sync thing that was on the disc, and I downloaded latest version of, doesn't synch anything.

I can't download blackberry maps as that requires internet explorer, which is no longer available for mac. I can't do it from blackberry either - it tells me I'm out of area. Huh? I have a gprs signal?

I can't open the downloaded e word file, so can't do what I bought the blackberry to do - edit word docs.

I can't find ringtone options. Aargh. I'm usually pretty good with gadgets, but this is getting frustrating.. It's curently doing no more than my Sony erricson phone did...
Old 08-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Without knowing anything about your Mac OS, I can't really comment on your synch problem. There are other programs available that work with Macs and Blackberry devices, most notably PocketMac - The Original Mac-to-Pocket PC Sync Solution(TM).

I don't believe the BB is now, or ever was, capable of editing MS Word docs...only viewing them.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
bthooper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post
I'm having a few probs with my admittedly, very pretty, 8330.

The mac sync thing that was on the disc, and I downloaded latest version of, doesn't synch anything.

I can't download blackberry maps as that requires internet explorer, which is no longer available for mac. I can't do it from blackberry either - it tells me I'm out of area. Huh? I have a gprs signal?

I can't open the downloaded e word file, so can't do what I bought the blackberry to do - edit word docs.

I can't find ringtone options. Aargh. I'm usually pretty good with gadgets, but this is getting frustrating.. It's curently doing no more than my Sony erricson phone did...
I am a mac user and a new BB user as well. I hope I can help you some.

First of all, I recommend Missing Sync:

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry - Synchronize Mac OS X and BlackBerry

It works flawlessly. It isn't free, but worth the money in my opinion. I used PocketMac, and it worked OK, but Missing Sync seems more reliable and versatile.

For maps, I use Google Maps, which is free. Point your BB browser to:

Google Maps

I don't edit documents on my BB - use a laptop or desktop for that. There are ways to do it, but you have to buy 3rd party software and I have no experience with them.

Ringtones are handled through the "Profiles" system. It's actually much more useful than most phones, because you can set up tones for almost every application on your BB. Open the Profiles application and use the Advanced option to mess with the various settings until you get it the way you want.

The BB is not the most user-friendly device, but I have found it to be quite stable, reliable, and, once you learn your way around it, very fast and responsive.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
Without knowing anything about your Mac OS, I can't really comment on your synch problem. There are other programs available that work with Macs and Blackberry devices, most notably PocketMac - The Original Mac-to-Pocket PC Sync Solution(TM).

I don't believe the BB is now, or ever was, capable of editing MS Word docs...only viewing them.
HI,
Actually DynoPlex eWords allows you to do so.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

Also, on the mac, you might try using firefox. I have used that instead of safari when it looks for an alternative browser.