Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BES and Redirector on same handheld

Please Login to Remove!

Here's the scenario:

We have a principal who is working for two seperate companies. My company runs BES 4.1.4 for exchange and we issued him a bberry on our BES and he is doing full PIM wireless sync with a mailbox on our side.

Here's the tricky part,

I spoke with the other companies IT dept (not a blackberry shop) and asked if they could setup the users email on the device by using Verizon's BIS. The BIS won't work because of some security setup they have and they said they would setup a redirector on a machine for the users email.

Will this work? Will it create another mail icon like a BIS account? Do I need to change the Message service display name from the default of Desktop?

I will have them turn off all cabled PIM sync to avoid any errors.

Thanks for any help. I've only used redirector once or twice for personal email accounts and prefer BIS.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhanMan View Post
Here's the scenario:

We have a principal who is working for two seperate companies. My company runs BES 4.1.4 for exchange and we issued him a bberry on our BES and he is doing full PIM wireless sync with a mailbox on our side.

Here's the tricky part,

I spoke with the other companies IT dept (not a blackberry shop) and asked if they could setup the users email on the device by using Verizon's BIS. The BIS won't work because of some security setup they have and they said they would setup a redirector on a machine for the users email.

Will this work? Will it create another mail icon like a BIS account? Do I need to change the Message service display name from the default of Desktop?

I will have them turn off all cabled PIM sync to avoid any errors.

Thanks for any help. I've only used redirector once or twice for personal email accounts and prefer BIS.

You can’t use redirector alongside BES, as they run different service books and you get all sorts of message errors. That and you could have IT policies preventing this?
I don’t think you can run redirector with any other mail setup.
Only way i see it happening is running BES and BIS unless some other bright spark can think of something.

Although I could be totally wrong and high on caffeine again?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

just thought you could just set Outlook (or what ever client) to auto forward?
only problem you have then is the Signiture/disclaimer?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Even if you were to get the BES and the BIS to work, all of his email would show in his "messages" folder. The mail would not be seperate. I have a few users that need 2 accounts and need them separated. We use a NotifyLink server. This allows them to access multiple email accounts. This also creates a second icon which keeps each account separate. This method will be way more costly than the BIS/BES method. It is just a suggestion I am throwing out there.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

here in the UK if you have BES data you automatically get the BIS feature all in all unlimited email for £10 (around 20 bucks) jsconyers is right in that it will go into messages BUT! if you have 8800 you could hide the messages feature and just have two mailboxes THEN have a text inbox !!! tadaa!

dam... diet coke machine has run out, i can feel the wave of panic in the office!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveit View Post
You can’t use redirector alongside BES, as they run different service books and you get all sorts of message errors. That and you could have IT policies preventing this?
I don’t think you can run redirector with any other mail setup.
Only way i see it happening is running BES and BIS unless some other bright spark can think of something.

Although I could be totally wrong and high on caffeine again?
Hmmm... I'm probably going to have to do my own internal testing...

I was thinking by changing the Message service display name from DESKTOP that the CMIME service books possibly wouldn't conflict.

The user has the default IT policy (blank)

Forwarding his email to a BIS account then masking the reply to would work but this user works for a bank and they have certain compliances.

Quote:
Even if you were to get the BES and the BIS to work, all of his email would show in his "messages" folder. The mail would not be seperate. I have a few users that need 2 accounts and need them separated.
I understand this, I use BIS and BES myself and for some of our other users. This would work fine still because the messages from the BIS account won't end up on our exchange and are still technically seperate.

Thanks for those who have replied.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
smess

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Default vodophone overseas

Im new to this.......

I have a BES my CEO is going to Ireland/rented a Vodophone from Verizon His old BB account was disabled..I enabled the acct all configs look good w/ the exception of the Wireless (disabled) he has had trouble in the past. he can send and receive here in the states but seems to get no data abroad. he is on the GPRS network!

help
mess
Old 08-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smess View Post
Im new to this.......

I have a BES my CEO is going to Ireland/rented a Vodophone from Verizon His old BB account was disabled..I enabled the acct all configs look good w/ the exception of the Wireless (disabled) he has had trouble in the past. he can send and receive here in the states but seems to get no data abroad. he is on the GPRS network!

help
mess
If the blackberry works here in the states and not over seas then I would definately check and make sure he has the international data for blackberry provisioned on his mobile number with vodafone/verizon.

Is the blackberry he is using an 8830 by any chance?

If so you can have him run the diagnostic test under options>mobile networks > diagnostics test

It'll tell you if the handheld can do PIN to PIN and if it's registered on the blackberry network. Great help in troubleshooting.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
goodwireless

Model: 8800T
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Rename the Desktop Redirector service book to something else using Desktop Manger and it will work. Don't really know if it will break anything, but I got it done in error once before and i had both Redirector and BES working onthe same BB
Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwireless View Post
Rename the Desktop Redirector service book to something else using Desktop Manger and it will work. Don't really know if it will break anything, but I got it done in error once before and i had both Redirector and BES working onthe same BB
That's what I thought (posted in previous posts)

Just tested it on my hh and all is good. It doesn't create a new icon but filters right into messages.

Mystery solved.
Closed Thread