Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question International H@H Wifi

Please Login to Remove!

So I've read tons of posts and still can't quite figure out if my understanding here is correct. If I have the Hotspot@Home with T-Mobile and I'm overseas, I can call the US for free as long as I have a WiFi connection? Being in the Navy, if I could call my family for FREE while overseas, that would be a huge benefit and cost savings. Plus I could use it here in the states for free as well.

If I'm not understanding this right please let me know how this works. I'm contemplating canceling my Verizon contract 6 months early and getting the 8320 through Amazon.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVY View Post
So I've read tons of posts and still can't quite figure out if my understanding here is correct. If I have the Hotspot@Home with T-Mobile and I'm overseas, I can call the US for free as long as I have a WiFi connection? Being in the Navy, if I could call my family for FREE while overseas, that would be a huge benefit and cost savings. Plus I could use it here in the states for free as well.

If I'm not understanding this right please let me know how this works. I'm contemplating canceling my Verizon contract 6 months early and getting the 8320 through Amazon.

Thanks!
You are correct, Calls to Domestic US numbers are free when connected to WiFi with HotSpot at Home.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Outstanding, thanks for the clarification. Mods can go ahead and delete this
Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
don.new
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780

T-Mobile told me that the free calling works only when you are in the USA. But I'm still hoping it aint true!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
T-Mobile told me that the free calling works only when you are in the USA. But I'm still hoping it aint true!
A WiFi connection is a WiFi connection regardless of your location. Cost = Free.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
From T-Mobile Support Site FAQ

Can I make or receive calls from outside of the United States?

T-Mobile cannot guarantee Wi-Fi service outside your home or US HotSpot locations.

Calling from international locations with your T-Mobile HotSpot Phone and Wireless Router works the same as if calling from the US. The normal domestic rates apply when making a call to a location within the US, and international long distance applies when making a call to a location outside the US.

NOTE: There are no call hand offs to or from networks other than T-Mobile USA’s network, and Wi-Fi calls cannot be made or received at T-Mobile HotSpot locations outside of the US.

T-Mobile HotSpot @Home – Technical Information
Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

That all being said, and being true, they realize, for international travellers, H@H are competing with other VoIP carriers (Skype, Vonage, etc..) .. IF T-Mobile wanted, they COULD, in theory, in the future, start isolating IP address by country, and start charging from where the WiFi IP emanates from.

Let's hope this is not part of the internet calling evolution .....

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
That all being said, and being true, they realize, for international travellers, H@H are competing with other VoIP carriers (Skype, Vonage, etc..) .. IF T-Mobile wanted, they COULD, in theory, in the future, start isolating IP address by country, and start charging from where the WiFi IP emanates from.

Let's hope this is not part of the internet calling evolution .....
Anything is a possibility. I really don't see that ever becoming a reality.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

That's awesome!! I too am in the military and a frequent international traveler, so this would make life so much easier (and cheaper!).
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

If you're signed up for H@H prior to any change in billing policy, T-Mobile has always honored existing subscriptions and they grandfather all applicable rates and conditions of your plan... There is always that possibility as suggested above, but then again you may have the privilege of being grandfathered into a partiular rate plan...

..my 2cents
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default Clarifications

Gentlemen,
I am travelling overseas for the first time with my new BB 8320:
1.I havent specifically activated global roaming unless its active out of the box. So when i turn it on in Dubai im not sure it will connect.
2. I will be staying at a hotel with wifi.
3. Can i call US domestic numbers and my faves using wifi at a hotel?
4.DO i have to carry my tmo router with me?
5. Lastly can one send and receive SMS and email at no cost via wifi while overseas?

If i need to activate global roaming for this to happen or will it happen without the cell service being on?

Answers from real world users who have used it overseas would be gratefully welcomed.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
Kurt M
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I was able to call the US on my BB8320 from the JW Marriott hotel in Hong Kong using their public WiFi connection. I clicked on 'setup WiFi connection', followed the steps and was done. I was able to use UMA for my voice calls as well as email and the browser. I don't have an international data plan, so I know the WiFi worked.

I didn't try SMS, so I have no idea if it will work.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
bdraco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt M View Post
I was able to call the US on my BB8320 from the JW Marriott hotel in Hong Kong using their public WiFi connection. I clicked on 'setup WiFi connection', followed the steps and was done. I was able to use UMA for my voice calls as well as email and the browser. I don't have an international data plan, so I know the WiFi worked.

Everything works perfectly for me in Barcelona.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt M View Post

thanks Kurt..very helpful...u mention u dont have an international data plan but did u have international voice activated? i.e. was your tmo world service global roaming activated on your device or was the cell service COMPLETELY shut off?
Closed Thread