Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
BBFan11

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default UMA w/o BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie here. Glad to finally join the BB community .
I've been using my Pearl for while a while and just switched to the T-Mobile Curve today. When I set up my phone, I was able to connect to my home network, browse the internet through WiFi Browser and got uma (lowercase) signal. Everything worked!
Then I just loaded some application and uma is gone(only edge left). I was still I haven't add BIS to my Curve yet since I still to see if uma work without BIS. I called T-Mobile and the rep told me that I need to have BIS add-on to utilize UMA and Internet. He also told me that it was probably a coincidence that I was able to pickup WiFi and UMA before. However I'm still able to connect to my network and browser internet but still no UMA? Does anyone experience something like that? I'm going to try and see if I can get UMA at other WiFi network tomorrow.
BTW, the 8320 so far has been a joy to use (aside from UMA issue). I don't think I can go back to the 8100 after using this awesome full QWERTY keyboard.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the Forums, BBFan11.

After your UMA worked well, what were the applications you loaded? It would be helpful to detail what you did leading up to the UMA-out condition.

Good luck, welcome to the Forums.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
ninja95
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
Default Manage Connection Options

If you go to your Manage Connections you should see Mobile Network, and Wi-Fi as selections. If both have a green check mark it means your getting a good signal from both and Edge is winning out on providing your phone service. You can get your UMA back in a few different ways. One is to uncheck Mobil Network while you are in a place you want to make sure you are using UMA; like home. This is what I have to do most of the time. Another way is to go to the "Mobile Network Options" in the same screen and set the "Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Only. I don't do this because is takes a lot more steps to go back to Edge when I leave the house.

On some days I can leave all checked and the phone will pick up UMA upper case just fine and some days all I get is EDGE upper case. So this was my fix and it works for me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
BBFan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Welcome to the Forums, BBFan11.

After your UMA worked well, what were the applications you loaded? It would be helpful to detail what you did leading up to the UMA-out condition.

Good luck, welcome to the Forums.
I loaded the Berry Glass Theme for 8300 . I'm not sure if that was the cause for my loss of uma.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
BBFan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja95 View Post
If you go to your Manage Connections you should see Mobile Network, and Wi-Fi as selections. If both have a green check mark it means your getting a good signal from both and Edge is winning out on providing your phone service. You can get your UMA back in a few different ways. One is to uncheck Mobil Network while you are in a place you want to make sure you are using UMA; like home. This is what I have to do most of the time. Another way is to go to the "Mobile Network Options" in the same screen and set the "Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Only. I don't do this because is takes a lot more steps to go back to Edge when I leave the house.

On some days I can leave all checked and the phone will pick up UMA upper case just fine and some days all I get is EDGE upper case. So this was my fix and it works for me. Just my 2 cents.
In Manage Connection , the Mobile Network has green mark but Wifi has yellow mark only. My 8320 is connected to my school network now and I can browse but no uma so far. If I add BIS, will that solve the problem? I thought if I was able to connect to a Wi-Fi network then I would have UMA automatically. All I have now is lower case edge and Wi-Fi.
Another thing is Mobile Network Options. In there, I see Data Services, Mobile Network and Network Selection Mode. There's no "Connection Preference" in there. Am I missing something?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

It makes sense why you need BIS -- over in the WiFi forum I've figured out that if your default browser is set to Internet Browser (you may not have this, I think it's a BIS Service Book) your WiFi traffic proxies through blackberry.net - other people have confirmed.

So - no Internet Browser (BIS Service Book) means your wifi is *not* proxying through blackberry.net, and instead you're doing direct IP browsing (i.e. a normal PC, etc.). Since UMA has to go through the T-Mobile/RIM servers in order for it to work technically, then your WiFi has to in fact proxy through those servers (at least that's the way I understand it to be implemented - you can't just use it through a random IP). But if you don't have the Service Book which adds that feature (enables, configures, whatever) then there's no way for your UMA traffic to make it onto the T-Mobile network.

Open Options -> Advanced -> Service Book. Do you see two entries "Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport" and "Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browsing" on your device? I'm not 100% sure, but I think those are the books controlling this setup (since it's where the IP addresses of the gateways on blackberry.net are listed)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
BBFan11

Default Got uma finally!!

After a day struggling with not having uma finally what was wrong. When I restored the back up file from my 8100 to my 8320, I did a full restore. I call BB tech support from T-Mo and he told me to do a selective restore that exclude the Handheld restore key and Trusted Restore key. I finally got uma . I'm sure this method has been mentioned somewhere in our forum but I didn't see it.
The uma I got, however was only in lower case. What is going on here, where's my UMA? So I called tech support again and she suggested me taking out the battery which set the Curve back to edge. Then I try everything like doing a hard resetting and register to the Host Routing Table. Nothings seem to work and I'm still on edge. So I decide to do a restore again. Bang! There's the uma.
At least I got something now but I'm still not satified yet. I will try to connect at different wireless network tomorrow to see if I can get UMA.
Meanwhile, fellow BB friends, any suggestion?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 AM   #8
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was about to ask if you did anything else when you loaded the apps - like upgrading from an older blackberry, but apparently you already figured that out. Yes, doing a "Switch device" operation or a full restore from an older blackberry will kill your UMA.

One suggestion, the rep told you to do a full restore except for just 2 items. Others on this forum have recommended being even more conservative and only restoring the things you absolutely need and recognize as "probably harmless" - things like the address book, notes, messages, but not any options or service books or other "System" sounding items. I'd love to believe that this rep told you the "be all and end all" of what not to restore, but just in case there is something else that he didn't know about that can cause partial UMA loss you might want to try wiping, verifying UMA usage, and then doing a restore and only copy over essential personal data, going one step at a time if necessary to see if there is any 1 item you restored that killed your UMA.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Restoring 'Options' from 8100 to 8320 will kill your 'Add Folder' capability in Bookmarks as well, it's not just UMA. Search the other threads, you want to *only* restore data bits and no options, settings or other jazz like that. Random breakage may occur if you do, people are still discovering things.