BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Settings for a Better Storm Keyboard (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=162279)

Racerdj 11-29-2008 10:33 AM

Settings for a Better Storm Keyboard

While on phonescoop.com, I found keyboard settings to make the keyboard much better. Most of the reviews are dperessing. I don't agree with them as I am very much impressed with my storm. However I'm not a power user. I hope I'm not repeating information here. The onformation is quoted as it's not my information.

"Open the BB menu by pressing the BB Menu button.
Scroll down to 'Options', select by pressing the icon.
Scroll to 'Screen/Keyboard' and select.
Scroll to 'Touchscreen'.

Increase the Tap Interval to 500.
Increase the Hover Period to 1000.
Increase the Swipe Sensitivity to High (6).
Key Rate to Fast."
Please issue your comments upon trying these settings.

NJBlackBerry 11-29-2008 10:53 AM

Thanks for posting this. I will try them.

mrjerome 11-29-2008 11:03 AM

That's a really good tip. I appreciate your wisdom.

Scr_ooge 11-29-2008 11:36 AM

Works pretty good (y)

Racerdj 11-29-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjerome (Post 1188219)
That's a really good tip. I appreciate your wisdom.

Sorry...I can't take any of the credit except for reading the reviews on phonescoop.com. I tried the settings and liked the results. I hope it works for everyone else.

kweezer 11-29-2008 07:44 PM

I tried messing around with other setting i think this setting might fit me :)

GT5L 11-29-2008 08:07 PM

I like this one the best, I type fairly quickly and I was hating the fact that the keyboard was not as responsive as I would have liked it to be. Since I switched to the setting defined here, I am able to type as fast as i used to on the curve. Actually, i type so fast on the storm the OS has the spinning clock for a second or two to catch up. The the screen would fill up with what I already typed. Thanks for this hint, I have been trying different setting, this one is the bets.

recca 11-29-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT5L (Post 1188919)
I like this one the best, I type fairly quickly and I was hating the fact that the keyboard was not as responsive as I would have liked it to be. Since I switched to the setting defined here, I am able to type as fast as i used to on the curve. Actually, i type so fast on the storm the OS has the spinning clock for a second or two to catch up. The the screen would fill up with what I already typed. Thanks for this hint, I have been trying different setting, this one is the bets.

I had that setting for awhile now, and it works very well. Also, the "paper" trick helps it even more

zechariahs 11-29-2008 09:04 PM

Nice find. Thanks.

rachamphetamine 11-29-2008 09:04 PM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 9530)

Testing this out now. Thanks for the tips!

TroyDBrown 11-29-2008 09:05 PM

I just did these settings and I can type a lot faster! Thank you.

zerog46 11-29-2008 09:06 PM

Thanks, I wrote them down until January 3rd.

bloggs96 11-29-2008 09:12 PM

Cheers! that has really made a HUGE improvement, just need to find some exercises now to reduce the size of my thumbs ;-)

he he

Kris

PHLAK 11-29-2008 09:21 PM

Does anyone know what each of these individual setting affect? Specifically tap interval and hover period.

The Truth 11-29-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHLAK (Post 1189046)
Does anyone know what each of these individual setting affect? Specifically tap interval and hover period.

Was curious about the same thing.

But these settings do work like magic. THANKS!

marlon3 11-30-2008 01:21 AM

thanks. seems to be working better...i'll keep you all updated.

SGRacer 11-30-2008 02:40 AM

Hover to 100 works better for me and makes the blue to black line edit functionality usable. At 1000 you can not edit a line without major delay time.

iamanewuser 11-30-2008 05:46 AM

Thanks for the tips, but sorry, what is the paper trick?

dylanleonard1122 11-30-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamanewuser (Post 1189382)

There is another thread on here if you want to know more, but basically using a buisness card sized peice of paper, and placing it behind the battery, thus putting alittle pressure on the screen and making it more responsive and easier to click.

theblackberryboy 11-30-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamanewuser (Post 1189382)

its when you put a piece of paper, like a business card, on the back (or front) of your battery. it greatly improves sensitivity.

vooboo13 11-30-2008 09:01 AM

I'm trying it out right now. There seems to be a long delay for the hovering blue highlight catches up to me.

tkebp1275 11-30-2008 10:51 AM

love the new settings.....everything is alot more responsive

winebuff 11-30-2008 10:55 AM

Great, this helped alot. Does anyone know how to change on the home screen from 2 rows to one of icons? Cant figure it out.

Racerdj 11-30-2008 11:07 AM

I'd like an expert here to put into common terms what the technical terms mean and accomplish!

viet2100 11-30-2008 11:16 AM

I love the settings, but with them, I can't hold my finger on an empty spot for it to edit. Anyone else experience this?

Thom 11-30-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viet2100 (Post 1189558)
I love the settings, but with them, I can't hold my finger on an empty spot for it to edit. Anyone else experience this?

That is due to the hover setting. If you changed it to 1000 as suggested in this thread, you will have to hold your finger there for quite a while before you can edit something. I have mine at 400 and am thinking about trying it at 300 or 200.

franknj 11-30-2008 11:39 AM

here are my settings for my keyboard and it works perfecty

Increase the Tap Interval to 100.
Increase the Hover Period to 100.
Key Rate to Fast."

PMurray633 11-30-2008 11:53 AM

Helped a lot, seemed to be able to type faster, which is cool, and no more little spinning clock while I am trying to type! YAY!

HarlyFan 11-30-2008 01:52 PM

Can someone explain what the tap interval and the hover period do?

deezmfnutz 11-30-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknj (Post 1189581)

Key Rate to Fast."

I second the 100/100/6/fast settings.

xsp 11-30-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winebuff (Post 1189537)
Great, this helped alot. Does anyone know how to change on the home screen from 2 rows to one of icons? Cant figure it out.

main screen..... BB button...Options....enjoy!!

Racerdj 11-30-2008 06:46 PM

Crackberry.com has a video of the to be released OS 4.7.0.75
Looks great and much improved!
I hope recommending crackberry.com offends no one here.

Spawneh 11-30-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winebuff (Post 1189537)

on the main screen hit the options key then hit options :)

rachamphetamine 11-30-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thom (Post 1189566)
That is due to the hover setting. If you changed it to 1000 as suggested in this thread, you will have to hold your finger there for quite a while before you can edit something. I have mine at 400 and am thinking about trying it at 300 or 200.

I have mine at 300 and it works great. I just have to hold a finger there for a second before it'll change to the box.

sixstringedmatt 11-30-2008 10:56 PM

Quick question -- I don't see key rate, where is that?

EDIT: Found it -- its not in the same list as the Hover, tap, etc. (for anyone else thats dumb like me)

SaintlySins 12-01-2008 12:36 AM

After being somewhat disappointed with the typing response coming off the "Q" I found this forum and the first thread has exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for posting it ... and my settings are:
Tap - 500
Hover - 300
Swipe - 5
Key Rate - Fast.

This completely changed the typing for me and I'm very happy.

Thanks.

SaintlySins

vnchenz 12-01-2008 01:55 PM

new settings work well
coming from a trio i was disappointed with the KB in this but now much happier
more accurate than the original settings

ronx 12-01-2008 02:30 PM

I'd like to second the Tap Interval and Hover Period similar to what SaintlySins and a few others have mentioned.... from what I've read and experienced, here's a brief description (and my settings):

Tap Interval: Amount of time allowed between taps to register a double tap. For example, in the browser, you double click to zoom. If you have Tap Interval set to 100, it means you have to tap twice within a very short period of time (100 ms maybe?), whereas a setting of 500 is more forgiving. (My setting: 500, though I'm considering reducing this to 200 or so since I seem to inadvertently zoom fairly often)

Hover Period: amount of time required to hover over (i.e. keep your finger on the screen) before activating certain hover features. For example, when switching into cursor mode to reposition your cursor when editing text. Another example is the "quick" filter in your Messages list -- if you hover over a Sender (or a Subject) in your messages list, it will filter your messages to show only messages from that Sender (or in that particular message thread). With a Hover Period of 1000, these features are painfully slow. (My setting: 200)

Keep in mind this is my interpretation after lots of reading and playing with various settings and still may not be 100% accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Rob

SaintlySins 12-01-2008 04:50 PM

Additional observation;
When typing in Landscape mode, (personal favorite), there's a noticeable gap between the two sides of the keyboard running right down the middle. If I reach across the middle line when typing (right to left/vice-versa), I'm bound to get a wrong key. After studying this a little more, I realize the phone's been programmed for you to "short-the-key" (my own definition) when typing as you're fingers touch the screen in a slightly different place than your eye shows you - because your fingers are rounded and contact isn't quite where you visualize it to be.
I hope I've explained this well enough. If you "landscape" type, you'll see what I mean if you try and speed-type across the middle of the keyboard from the opposite end. This could explain some of the continued complaints from those who hunt-and-peck -vs- those who thumb-type with both thumbs.

I'll post this on both Key-Board threads running.
Hope it helps.

121traffic 12-01-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintlySins (Post 1191499)
Additional observation;
When typing in Landscape mode, (personal favorite), there's a noticeable gap between the two sides of the keyboard running right down the middle. If I reach across the middle line when typing (right to left/vice-versa), I'm bound to get a wrong key. After studying this a little more, I realize the phone's been programmed for you to "short-the-key" (my own definition) when typing as you're fingers touch the screen in a slightly different place than your eye shows you - because your fingers are rounded and contact isn't quite where you visualize it to be.
I hope I've explained this well enough. If you "landscape" type, you'll see what I mean if you try and speed-type across the middle of the keyboard from the opposite end. This could explain some of the continued complaints from those who hunt-and-peck -vs- those who thumb-type with both thumbs.

Hope it helps.

HOLY CRAP. You're right. Unbelievable.

I just got my Storm today. Long time BB user (1st time poster, I think...) and I am just floored by this thing. Gotta say...read lots of the reviews before receiving it and I was getting worried. Now I see that it's really just people that don't bother figuring out what RIM was actually doing when it made the Storm do what it does. And it does it all very well, IMO.

Thom 12-01-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 121traffic (Post 1191694)
HOLY CRAP. You're right. Unbelievable.

I just got my Storm today. Long time BB user (1st time poster, I think...) and I am just floored by this thing. Gotta say...read lots of the reviews before receiving it and I was getting worried. Now I see that it's really just people that don't bother figuring out what RIM was actually doing when it made the Storm do what it does. And it does it all very well, IMO.

It does work quite well doesn't it? I just think some people get so used to doing things a certain way they might have a bit of a harder time adjusting to something different. I struggled for a few hours initially. Once I embraced the fact that I was going to go with the flow things got better. I am not 100% yet with my Storm but I was never 100% with any of my other BB's.

albertwesker 12-03-2008 01:59 AM

Ok, so do higher numbers make typing easier for faster people, or do lower numbers>? ( I am simple minded) haha.

Vertioch 12-03-2008 02:32 PM

I like these settings better so far... I was hesitant to change too much w/o really knowing what they do... But this seems to speed up my typing... I'll have to see how it impacts other things like browsing and zooming...

Thanks also for the little gems in this thread like the # of display rows & sliding the keyboard away!

mkrsx 12-03-2008 03:27 PM

awesome works much better now. thanks!

XelhaBB 12-05-2008 09:14 AM

Keyboard Settings

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racerdj (Post 1188184)
While on phonescoop.com, I found keyboard settings to make the keyboard much better. Most of the reviews are dperessing. I don't agree with them as I am very much impressed with my storm. However I'm not a power user. I hope I'm not repeating information here. The onformation is quoted as it's not my information.

"Open the BB menu by pressing the BB Menu button.
Scroll down to 'Options', select by pressing the icon.
Scroll to 'Screen/Keyboard' and select.
Scroll to 'Touchscreen'.

Increase the Tap Interval to 500.
Increase the Hover Period to 1000.
Key Rate to Fast."
Please issue your comments upon trying these settings.

For all who don't recall, the default settings are: 400 / 100/ 3

I just tried these settings and there is definitely a change for the better. As an avid SMS fiend, I found the keyboard much more responsive with the new settings.

XelhaBB 12-05-2008 10:56 AM

I am a BB newbie and an SMS addict. This tweak ROCKS!!

Backnblack 12-06-2008 05:21 PM

Very nice...Loving it....

Jim2991 12-06-2008 11:23 PM

Great tip! Thanks for posting this. (y)

SGRacer 12-06-2008 11:40 PM

Hover at 1000 makes editing a line impractical.

ishore 12-07-2008 07:00 AM

Improvement

Yes, there is much improvement now. I like my Storm, and find it is a learning curve. So I will keep mine.

ishore 12-07-2008 07:10 AM

Sliding keyboard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertioch (Post 1194520)
I like these settings better so far... I was hesitant to change too much w/o really knowing what they do... But this seems to speed up my typing... I'll have to see how it impacts other things like browsing and zooming...

Thanks also for the little gems in this thread like the # of display rows & sliding the keyboard away!

:? :?How do I make the keyboard slide away?:x

Backnblack 12-07-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishore (Post 1199711)
:? :?How do I make the keyboard slide away?:x

Hoover, highlight a key then swipe your finger downward to slide it closed.

falcontrainer 12-07-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintlySins (Post 1191499)
Additional observation;

Hope it helps.

I noticed this a couple days ago when I was at work. I thought I was going crazy at first until I had the same issues later that day browsing (while driving) So if nothing else I have definetly cut down on my phone time while driving which is a good thing.... I guess..

Donbp 12-07-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backnblack (Post 1199717)
Hoover, highlight a key then swipe your finger downward to slide it closed.

Say that again. You can't highlight a keyboard key and leave it highlighted. Do you mean use two hands? I have never been able to get the keyboard to disappear without using the menu but it is easy to get it to pop up when you don't want it.

cocruxified 12-07-2008 09:16 AM

Man, I had my settings set the opposite of that. Number wise. With these settings I can type BLAZINGLY faster. Thanks a lot.

cocruxified 12-07-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donbp (Post 1199722)
Say that again. You can't highlight a keyboard key and leave it highlighted. Do you mean use two hands? I have never been able to get the keyboard to disappear without using the menu but it is easy to get it to pop up when you don't want it.

All you have to do when the keyboard is up is swipe from the top of the keyboard down quickly. It'll go away. Don't click swipe. Just touch swipe.

Backnblack 12-07-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donbp (Post 1199722)

Just like I said the first time....

ishore 12-07-2008 10:46 AM

Thanks, works like a charm..... I have upgraded to the new firmware. Have no issues and the Storm seems to be better or I am getting used to it.

Timmychunga 12-07-2008 05:56 PM

Good settings but had to tweak a little.

thegeek 12-07-2008 06:33 PM

It worked great for me! Thanks. I was wondering about those settings and which ones would make the keyboard work better.

NYSStorm 12-07-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGRacer (Post 1189339)
Hover to 100 works better for me and makes the blue to black line edit functionality usable. At 1000 you can not edit a line without major delay time.

I agree. The previous settings with this modification makes it all amazing. Thanks for the update guys.

jh1 12-09-2008 09:24 AM

Been lurking for a while.......this works so well I HAD to sign to say THANKS for these tips....

Now I know have finally found the replacement for my DESPISED Treo pos

Allybertz 12-09-2008 12:30 PM

Just tried this myself. I text a lot and I have deffinatley noticed a positive improvment.

Helps people with fat fingers too :p

thetruth 12-10-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsp (Post 1189821)
main screen..... BB button...Options....enjoy!!

I did this and every time I press options nothing happens. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just realized that in order for me to access the options menu I have to remove my battery everything. Anybody else with this problem?

Fiddyp 12-10-2008 04:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (blackberry storm)

This was pretty useful information! I thought I could type fast with this new keyboard but with the new faster settings its much better

sarasmith13 12-11-2008 10:22 PM

For the life of me I cannot CANNOT figure out how to have a default signature for my text messages. Can anyone help me with this? Also in my opinion the camera isn't that great. The colors aren't very bright and "actual" it's more of a gray/green. I tried to make some adjustments but they didn't help. Any suggestions?

Doctor Neutron 12-11-2008 11:08 PM

Yes, its all over CrackBerry: do not reach across the KYBD while typing. I am using my left thumb for the left side and my right thumb for the right side, when using the landscape KYBD. Crackberry has a very extensive set of tips specially re-edited at

ULTIMATE Official tips/tricks ONLY - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Some of these tips are priceless.

I have not taken the time to learn SureType. In fact, I think I hate it.

Tiamegs 12-12-2008 10:06 AM

Instead of the paper trick, I took a small piece of an old plastic credit card. I cut it to the width of my battery, and about 3/4 inch tall. I placed it right on top of my battery and it seems to work great- better than the paper! Plus I like the idea of plastic instead of paper for hazard reasons.

M.J.H. 12-12-2008 12:03 PM

I honestly can't decide between 100/100/6 and 500/1000/6 I really want to be able to use the "Search Sender" function just by hovering over the contact name in the message list.

What's the final verdict 500/1000/6 or 100/100/6?

jsntrenkler 12-12-2008 11:51 PM

These settings really made a huge difference for me. Thank you for sharing!

innovator1 12-14-2008 12:05 AM

This is a great thread, thanks for posting it! I was concerned I had made a bad buying decision based on how fast I can type vs. how fast the Storm reacts. No longer, thanks to the 100/100/6/fast settings!

Anyone else having issues with pressing the "a" key and the "space" key in landscape mode? They seem to require more pressure than the other keys. Could be my fat thumbs...

Nimz 12-17-2008 08:18 AM

work great thank you :)

tteasley 12-17-2008 12:22 PM

Much happier now, was frustrated !!!

tteasley 12-17-2008 12:23 PM

Keyboard/touchscreen

Much happier now, was frustrated !!!

LunkHead 12-17-2008 12:42 PM

I like the 100/100/6 better and with a card on the battery I have noticed typing much, much better!

Kris

BB9000GTO 12-18-2008 04:48 AM

MAN i thought i would have to get used to this but WOW what A difference THANKS!! More responsive and very similar characteristics as my previous iPHONE. Thanks again!!

trella1 12-18-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGRacer (Post 1199530)
Hover at 1000 makes editing a line impractical.

I changed my hover to 300. Much, much better. Thank you for the tip! 1000 is rediculous.

Hoghead 12-18-2008 09:09 AM

Thanks for the tip!

ronx 12-18-2008 10:28 AM

For anyone that is still using the paper trick (or any of the variants that involve putting something under and/or over the battery, you really should consider removing all of that stuff and trying the loosen screws method that has been posted all over. Trust me, I was one of the biggest proponents of the paper trick until I tried this... it actually works better than the paper trick, IMHO, making the screen evenly clickable all over and very responsive. If anyone needs a link, let me know and I can look it up... you should be able to find it by searching for "torx" or "T6"... although, I think the screw is actually a T7, but most people are claiming it's a T6... I bought a T6 screwdriver and it felt a little loose when I was unscrewing the screws (though it DID work just fine).

Hope this helps.

Bennett5000 12-18-2008 11:13 AM

Wierd....

user242 12-18-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronx (Post 1214411)
For anyone that is still using the paper trick (or any of the variants that involve putting something under and/or over the battery, you really should consider removing all of that stuff and trying the loosen screws method that has been posted all over. Trust me, I was one of the biggest proponents of the paper trick until I tried this... it actually works better than the paper trick, IMHO, making the screen evenly clickable all over and very responsive. If anyone needs a link, let me know and I can look it up... you should be able to find it by searching for "torx" or "T6"... although, I think the screw is actually a T7, but most people are claiming it's a T6... I bought a T6 screwdriver and it felt a little loose when I was unscrewing the screws (though it DID work just fine).

Hope this helps.

Post that link you are talking about if you get a chance. It would be helpful for those interested...

Headhunterz- 12-24-2008 10:05 PM

thanks for this, it worked for me! Typing much faster now!

michelin 12-25-2008 11:19 PM

thanks

Sam K 12-25-2008 11:53 PM

I have my Storm's Tap Interval set to 100, Hover Period set to 1000 and Swipe Sensitivity set to (High) 6. I found setting the Hover Period too low makes it select the key too fast.

korp 12-27-2008 05:22 PM

works well thanks

roofus 12-28-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronx (Post 1214411)

Hope this helps.

You have more than a screw loose dude8-)

chicoicho 12-29-2008 09:32 AM

How to enable english multitap in this blackberry??

Rathman2009 12-31-2008 02:36 PM

Wow, I had no idea how much this would help! I was getting used to the default settings so I was cautious to change them and mess up my flow, ya know? Anyways these settings are exponentially better! GREAT find!

roofus 01-01-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicoicho (Post 1226313)
How to enable english multitap in this blackberry??

hit the key with the bb logo on it in any app and select enable suretype from the menu

or go to options screen/keyboard protrait view keyboard and select suretype or multitype as the default.

MrGonzalez 01-01-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknj (Post 1189581)

Key Rate to Fast."

in the words of the almighty kool-aid man "OOOOOOO YEAAAAAAAAAAA" works perfectly now (y)

TLHord 01-01-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruth (Post 1204011)
I did this and every time I press options nothing happens. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just realized that in order for me to access the options menu I have to remove my battery everything. Anybody else with this problem?

Yes, what is it with this? I did it once, and it worked. Now.... when i hit options it literally does nothing.

What's up with that?!

djice 01-04-2009 10:03 PM

thanks for this advice, had my bb already setup for these settings but good info for those that didn't know ;0) ..

ronx 01-05-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofus (Post 1225673)
You have more than a screw loose dude8-)

?? care to elaborate?

ronx 01-05-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user242 (Post 1214845)
Post that link you are talking about if you get a chance. It would be helpful for those interested...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...creen-fix.html

AntonBerisha 01-05-2009 08:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. It works great.

k9th 01-05-2009 10:58 PM

I like the 100/100/6/fast setting best. It meets my personal needs.

johntomlin 01-06-2009 06:14 AM

Just changed the settings on my Storm. What a difference. Doubled my typing speed. Great tip! :)

Daveyon 01-06-2009 03:21 PM

Yea this settings is great.

roofus 01-08-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronx (Post 1234787)
?? care to elaborate?

The devil made me say it ;-)

liorzak 01-08-2009 07:12 PM

Wow

Wow thank you so much
it is a big difrent (y)(y)(y)