BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Get Blackberry Maps and Google Maps working on Beta OS 4.5 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=130852)

Spamdumpster 05-20-2008 11:50 AM

Get Blackberry Maps and Google Maps working on Beta OS 4.5

I've read in a few threads that on beta OS 4.5 (1) people are having problems with google maps, and (2) AT&T people are having trouble with blackberry maps.

I have solutions to both problems. Tested on an 8820 running 4.5.0.18 and 4.5.0.27 and an 8310 running 4.5.0.37. Even thought Google Maps and BB Maps overlap to a large extent, I like to have both applications working on my device -- google maps has better search capability, bb maps can be set to track up
instead of north up, so it's better for navigating.

1. Google Maps. The issue reported is that the application hangs after you give it permission to access the radio information. Eventually, the app times out, and it's never usable. I experienced this as well. The solution I found is to downgrade to 4.2.2, install and run google maps, make sure it works, and then upgrade to 4.5 and let BB manager back up all databases, etc. This carries the permissions over and will allow google maps to run.

If this doesn't work for you here are some OTA links for an older version of Google Maps that will work (no cell triangulation, though):

8100:

HTML Code:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8100_v4_1_L1.jad
83xx:
HTML Code:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8320_v4_2_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8320%20v4%202&ver=v1.6.4&dc=Web_exp02
8700:
HTML Code:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8700_v4_1_L1.jad

2. BB Maps. The issue is that the version of BB maps that comes with 4.5 requires a service book, which at&t refuses to push down (or, more accurately, pushes down blank service books). The solution, of course, is to load an older version of BB Maps. Replace the LBS.alx file with the file from a 4.2 installation and copy all of the modules (cod files) with "lbs" in them from the 4.2 installation to the 4.5 java folder. Then run app manager.

EDIT: After upgrading my 8820 from 4.5.0.18 to 4.5.0.37, then installing BBMaps from 4.2.2., I got an error message "Maps is disabled" when trying to open BB Maps. This was because the rogue AT&T "blank" service book was pushed down to my device after I upgraded, but before I replaced the 4.5 version of Maps with the 4.2.2 version. The solution is to uninstall BBMaps, delete the rogue service book (Options>>Advanced>>Service Books>> delete the one that says Blackberry Maps), then reinstall the older version of BB Maps.

jorgeledesmadds 05-20-2008 12:23 PM

nice I'll try that when I get home later on this afternoon, I'd love to have Gmaps 2.10 on my 8310

jorgeledesmadds 05-20-2008 12:24 PM

I had the big blue location within 1700 meter message thing

smurfy71 05-21-2008 11:56 AM

Question: I have an AT&T Curve, on the Canadian Rogers network. Will BB Maps work without problems, is it a provider issue or a software issue?

fmieske 05-22-2008 10:53 AM

I have a 8310 running 4.5.0.18 and this link for google maps works with the blackberries with internal GPS.
OTA
http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v2.1....=42&ver=v2.1.0

chrisb3 05-22-2008 11:02 AM

2.1.0 works on 4.5.0.37 on the 8800.

fmieske 05-22-2008 11:17 AM

BB Maps trick works. Make sure you uninstall the current BB Maps before loading the ones from 4.2.

nobody7290 05-24-2008 05:08 AM

I also had the problem, that Blackberry Maps was unavailible on a 8310
Tried to use the Download from Rim.
BB Maps did work, but GPS stopped working completely.

Zeroed the device and again loaded the OS. GPS again is ok, but no BB-Maps.
google, Nav4All etc. etc. are running fine.

on a 8800 BB-Maps and GPS is working fine - same OS version.

Looks like I have to wait until its finished or is there a fix for this ?

justajason 05-24-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamdumpster (Post 937068)
I've read in a few threads that on beta OS 4.5 (1) people are having problems with google maps, and (2) AT&T people are having trouble with blackberry maps.

I have solutions to both problems. I tried these only on my at&t 8820 and 4.5.0.18, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work elsewhere. Even thought they overlap to a large extent, I like to have both applications working on my device -- google maps has better search capability, bb maps can be set to track up
instead of north up.

1. Googlemaps. The issue reported is that the application hangs after you give it permission to access the radio information. Eventually, the app times out, and it's never usable. I experienced this as well. The solution I found is to downgrade to 4.2.2 (I was using t-mobile 4.2.193), install and run google maps, make sure it works, and then upgrade to 4.5 and let BB manager back up all databases, etc. This carries the permissions over and will allow google maps to run.

2. BB Maps. The issue is that the version of BB maps that comes with 4.5 requires a service book, which at&t refuses to push down (or, more accurately, pushes down blank service books). The solution, of course, is to load the older version of BB Maps. Replace the LBS.alx file with the file from a 4.2 installation and copy all of the modules (cod files) with "lbs" in them from the 4.2 installation to the 4.5 java folder. Then run app manager.

OMG youre Smart... SOMEONE NEEDS TO STICKY!!!! PUHLEASE>>>>>

justajason 05-24-2008 11:59 AM

Just to let everyone know. BBmaps works and the gps chip is still functional on this mod. Cheers to the author for making this discovery. The only drawback I can see as of yet, was the reboot time was a little long.

nobody7290 05-24-2008 06:18 PM

And what about me ? It seems it does not work all the time - Version is 0.37
There must be more then the servicebook.
My 2 devices are both on the same Carrier ( eplus/KPN ). Eplus does send a valid LBS service Book.

8800 works straight out of the box with G-Maps and BB-Maps
8310 does work with GPS and G-Maps, But when I install BB-Maps, the GPS functionality is lost, rendering all Maps applications useless.

darkdragoon 05-27-2008 06:18 AM

I just loaded 4.5.0.37 on my 8800 and BB map saids my device is not configured for BIS and BES access.

darkdragoon 05-27-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb3 (Post 939982)
2.1.0 works on 4.5.0.37 on the 8800.

Which cod file does 4.5 loads? There is Blackberry-40,-41,-42. Obviously thats for BB OS4.0,4.1,4.2

Spamdumpster 05-28-2008 05:04 PM

Now getting a message: "Maps has been disabled." I will look into this.

Spamdumpster 05-29-2008 07:06 AM

After upgrading my 8820 from 4.5.0.18 to 4.5.0.37, then installing BBMaps from 4.2.2., I got an error message "Maps is disabled" when trying to open BB Maps. This was because the rogue AT&T "blank" service book was pushed down to my device after I upgraded, but before I replaced the 4.5 version of Maps with the 4.2.2 version. The solution is to uninstall BBMaps, delete the rogue service book (Options>>Advanced>>Service Books>> delete the one that says Blackberry Maps), then reinstall the older version of BB Maps.

dgy2k1 06-05-2008 09:47 PM

Thanks a bunch. I finally figured BBMaps out. Now for Google Maps.

John Clark 06-06-2008 12:58 AM

I've not been able to make the above solution work for Google Maps on any 4.5 OS I've tried.

boxmeister 06-06-2008 06:28 AM

Google Maps 2.2

I recommend you download GM2.2, it seems to be "snappier" grabbing GPS info. Once the tower-based location service support had launched, I had experienced a 1-2 minute delay before it zeroed in on GPS. This was the case with 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3, not just with 4.5. Download the new version as soon as you can!:idea:8-)

Also, for the troubleshooters out there, had no issues w/Google Maps on 4.5.0.37 on my 8110 OR 4.5.0.1 on my 8310. When I first switched to 4.5, I was rocking Google Maps 2.0, then 2.1. I never had to do any tricky OS edits, etc. I hope this helps...

Spamdumpster 06-06-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 958426)
I've not been able to make the above solution work for Google Maps on any 4.5 OS I've tried.

FYI - I downloaded the 2.2 update and it asked me to allow connections, but I was able to allow them. 8820 4.5.0.37.

dgy2k1 06-06-2008 02:05 PM

I have given up on Google Maps. Don't think it's ever gonna work with 4.5 on the 8300. There's no way to change the permissions. :(

kmwbberry 06-07-2008 08:56 AM

Where do you get the old versions of bbmaps?

Where do you get the old versions.

I have an 8800 and after a dip in the pool, I had to get another device. Luckily, the day before the swim, I had just upgraded to OS 4.5 which is great...so I just loaded my back-up.....but now blackberry maps icon is not shown...just like all these posts. Google Maps is good, but doesn't track with you when you drive, etc.

Google maps working perfectly, BBmaps installed, but no icon.

Can someone tell me where to get the older versions you are referring?

Thanks,

MW
AT&T

kmwbberry 06-07-2008 09:49 AM

Ha! BB Maps works now on my 8800 AT&T

Victory at last.

These d*** AT&T people. Working fine with my previous 8800...get the newest OS 4.5 that we all had been waiting for....and BAM they take something that you've had. I try not to accept it. I won't accept it.....After posting last question about where to get older version, and reading countless posts about this on various forums and sites...I saw another post that talked about looking at the bottom of the RIM BBMaps download page for a link to "push" the software to your computer. Wa la.

If you try and click the normal link, it wants your blackberry plugged in...which then checks the OS...and doesn't allow you to install from there. If you use BBMaps version that was in OS4.5 and click it in the app list, then you get the 4.5 version (check in applications...it says BBMaps 4.5)...and you can't see the icon.

So putting all this together...use Spamdumpsters instructions at the top of the post. Uninstall BBMaps through desktop mgr. Delete the service book. Go to the Blackberry Maps download site. Look at the bottom for the link to "push" the file to your computer. Pick a old version. I picked 1.2. Go through the questions...your name, bla bla bla..and you can download to your computer.

Go to desktop mgr. When I clicked "add"...and browsed to the location where I saved the old version...I then went down in the app list and there were two. I deleted both....then added again so I would know there was only 1 in there pointing to the old version. Installed...and it works perfect.

Thanks to all that post to help and allow us to figure this s*** out.

I love getting one over on AT&T when they try to take stuff away.

Hackers forever.

dres79 06-07-2008 04:25 PM

thank you thank you!!!!!!(y)(y)

John Clark 06-07-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmwbberry (Post 959956)
Where do you get the old versions.

I have an 8800 and after a dip in the pool, I had to get another device. Luckily, the day before the swim, I had just upgraded to OS 4.5 which is great...so I just loaded my back-up.....but now blackberry maps icon is not shown...just like all these posts. Google Maps is good, but doesn't track with you when you drive, etc.

Google maps working perfectly, BBmaps installed, but no icon.

Can someone tell me where to get the older versions you are referring?

Thanks,

MW
AT&T

Google Maps does follow you if you are using GPS. If you're using the cell tower triangulation (dot with the blue circle around it) then it won't track you. If you're using GPS, simply hit "0" to track. The screen will stay lit and the dot will move with you.

(Please keep the language clean here.)

OrionXBeta 06-08-2008 06:45 AM

Theres another easier way to get BBMaps to work.

1.) Download the BBMaps software from RIM, youll need to fill a user information page before the link. It doesnt have to be a real email address. ( Download )

2.) Run Apploader and remove any traces of BBMaps currently on your phone

3.) Extract Files to the OS directory and replace any duplicate files. Make sure you copy whichever ones its asking to replace beforehand as well just to be safe.

4.) Run the AppLoader application and choose the supplied ALX file and then continue the install.

Now I tried this and received the "no additional applications designed for your device" which Ive been getting for everything anyways. But I continued to the next page and the apploader already grabbed that ALX file because there were two Blackberry Maps options to choose from and install. I checked the details and chose the one that had all of the modules that were in the BBMaps ZIP file from RIM.

If you do what was listed above you will have BBMaps no matter what carrier or OS youre running.

Im currently running a Curve 8310 on AT&T with OS 4.5.0.37 with no issues

Enjoy 8-)

sunnyb 06-08-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrionXBeta (Post 960643)

1.) Download the BBMaps software from RIM, youll need to fill a user information page before the link. It doesnt have to be a real email address. ( Download )

3.) Extract Files to the OS directory and replace any duplicate files. Make sure you copy whichever ones its asking to replace beforehand as well just to be safe.

4.) Run the AppLoader application and choose the supplied ALX file and then continue the install.

Now I tried this and received the "no additional applications designed for your device" which Ive been getting for everything anyways. But I continued to the next page and the apploader already grabbed that ALX file because there were two Blackberry Maps options to choose from and install. I checked the details and chose the one that had all of the modules that were in the BBMaps ZIP file from RIM.

If you do what was listed above you will have BBMaps no matter what carrier or OS youre running.

Enjoy 8-)

This works perfectly and very easy to do. I looked at the first instructions and decided not to bother but then saw this and wow that was easy.

Thanks

John Clark 06-08-2008 08:05 PM

Google Maps 2.x/OS 4.5/BES Permissions Issue Fix:

Thanks to Hdawg for this fix. Hopefully, he'll come up with a better fix (it may have to be a RIM fix.)

Issue: Google Maps locks up at 90% asking for permission to access Radio for location. The app won't load.

Solution: You have an application control policy on your BES that conflicts with this permission in Google Maps.

1. Have your BES Admin remove you from the Application Control Policy. You may need to reboot after this.
2. Install Google Maps on your OS 4.5 device. Run the app and allow all the permissions that Google asks for.
3. Reboot device again and run Google Maps again. It should work.
4. Have your BES Admin add you back to the Application Control Policy. You may have to reboot again after this.
5. Run Google Maps again....it should continue to work.

You will have to do this each time you update Google Maps until another solution is found.

I'll post more here if another solution is found.

Dr.Gadget 06-09-2008 11:11 AM

Are you using a BES or BIS?

John Clark 06-09-2008 11:13 AM

The Google Maps issue is a BES issue only--and even then, only if you have an application control policy/software configuration.

It's not an issue for BIS users.

Spamdumpster 06-09-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyb (Post 961253)
This works perfectly and very easy to do. I looked at the first instructions and decided not to bother but then saw this and wow that was easy.

Thanks

It's basically the same as the instructions in the first post, except the application comes from a separate download from RIM, rather than from an earlier version of the OS.

akc786 06-10-2008 04:35 AM

I upgraded my BB OS from 4.2.2.194 directly to 4.5.0.42.

Everything is working on my BB 8310.

Blackberry Maps and Google Maps are working great. I didn't do anything.

frijolito 06-10-2008 09:50 AM

Hi, I tried this, I have the default setting on policy options on the BES, so I assume thats OK, still have the same issue though, any idea?

frijolito 06-10-2008 10:19 AM

Eureka, found the solution for me, hope it works for others...

1. You need to get your BES admin to delete the configuration of phone type (e.g. 8100, 8310, 8310) and change it to NONE.

2. Uninstall GoogleMaps

3. Reset your device

4. Install GoogleMaps.

5. Change the permissions in google maps to allow.

Bingo, you should be in business!

Hope that helps others like me!

John Clark 06-10-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frijolito (Post 964205)

1. You need to get your BES admin to delete the configuration of phone type (e.g. 8100, 8310, 8310) and change it to NONE.

2. Uninstall GoogleMaps

3. Reset your device

4. Install GoogleMaps.

Do you have a software configuration/application control policy?

frijolito 06-10-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 964213)
Do you have a software configuration/application control policy?

It was set to default, which was open and allow all. Only thing was it was set to 8320, as soon as it was set to handset type none, everything started to work. probably an issue with incompatibility on BES and the beta version on the handset doing something weird..

Ebtek 06-11-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

2. Uninstall GoogleMaps

3. Reset your device

4. Install GoogleMaps.

would you be so kind as to direct me to the place where i can delete the configuration of my phone? (i.e. #1). when i doubleclick my name within the list under my servername, i see properties...with a bunch of properties under it, and i see "blackberry device - read only" with a list of items, one being "bb device model - 8120" but it's greyed out, and i cant edit it.

also, are you suggesting if i delete myself from the BES i should be able to install and run google maps no problems?...obviously i need to be part of BES but it would be an interesting "Test"

dito_soft 06-11-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

2. Uninstall GoogleMaps

3. Reset your device

4. Install GoogleMaps.

Sorry, dont' work for me. My 8100 is out of BES for upgrade.
Now trying the "slow way" (downgrade, install GMaps, connecto to BES, upgrade).
Thank

[IFC]Area51 06-11-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmeister (Post 958561)
Also, for the troubleshooters out there, had no issues w/Google Maps on 4.5.0.37 on my 8110 OR 4.5.0.1 on my 8310. When I first switched to 4.5, I was rocking Google Maps 2.0, then 2.1. I never had to do any tricky OS edits, etc. I hope this helps...

I never had to do tricks on mines either. I think it's just a problem for people that don't have the required service book.

John Clark 06-11-2008 11:02 AM

Google Maps is only a problem if you are on a BES AND have an application control policy/software configuration.

BBMaps is only an issue if your carrier doesn't support it--like AT&T.

dito_soft 06-11-2008 02:31 PM

Not sure. I install GMaps in a 4.2.xxx without problem. Then wipe the BB 8100, install 4.5.0.37 download Gmaps but not work.

Now upgraded to .42 and trying...

Torben 06-11-2008 03:51 PM

"application control policy/software configuration"

i just spent 20 minutes digging through the BES console....either we do not have such a policy/config enabled or I need new glasses. can you post a screenshot or something where I can check on this?

"You need to get your BES admin to delete the configuration of phone type (e.g. 8100, 8310, 8310) and change it to NONE."

I guess I need glasses cause I can't figure out where to delete the phone type either

:(

monotremata 06-11-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 966410)
Google Maps is only a problem if you are on a BES AND have an application control policy/software configuration.

BBMaps is only an issue if your carrier doesn't support it--like AT&T.

Thanks AT&T!
BBMaps obviously still not working over here, but GMaps is working fine.
Just upgraded to the latest 4.5 this morning, still using Google Maps 2.1 and its watching me walk around the office at work still..

dgy2k1 06-11-2008 08:09 PM

Couldnt get Google Maps to work on the 8300 curve with 4.5.0.42. I found an old version 1.4.5 of gm and it works fine. I will stick with this one until the problem gets fixed. The 8300 has no gps. So it hangs.

John Clark 06-11-2008 08:20 PM

That's not why it hangs. It hangs because of the reason I posted above. I use Google 1.6.4 for now.

dgy2k1 06-11-2008 08:39 PM

I'm not on BES. I am on BIS.

Thanks for the headsup. I found the 1.6.4. It works.

John Clark 06-11-2008 08:45 PM

It shouldn't hang then. I have an 8320 with no GPS and mine works fine when I remove the policy. Did you purchase your device new or was it used? Is it possible it's ever been on a BES? If so, then you can easily remove the IT policy and should be able to use the latest Google Maps. It's also possible that the permissions are set wrong. You can reset the permissions prompts so that it asks again.

dgy2k1 06-11-2008 08:50 PM

Yes I purchased it used. And yes its possible that it might have been on BES. The IT policy is set to default. I just found it. How do I remove it??

John Clark 06-11-2008 09:01 PM

Follow the instructions for OS 4.3 and higher devices in this post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ve-policy.html

dgy2k1 06-11-2008 10:19 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're are an angel.

dee

John Clark 06-11-2008 10:27 PM

(y)

Now if I could only get mine fixed. :-)

dgy2k1 06-11-2008 10:53 PM

LOL. Sorry.

dito_soft 06-12-2008 03:18 PM

OK, after wipe and install .42, connecto to BES and download and install Google Map Mobile, it work fine.
Thank to all.
Now testing all other stuff.

peter_b 06-17-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Enjoy 8-)

This method worked perfectly for me running 4.5.0.42.

Thanks!

PaCharger 06-17-2008 10:09 AM

This is still killing me. I can't get my network folks to drop the policy...now even 2.0 Google maps doesnt work for me. I miss my google maps!

OrionXBeta 06-17-2008 09:03 PM

Anytime bud, I suggest anyone interested try this method as its great software that opens up the whole GPS feature for ATT customers

PaCharger 06-17-2008 10:04 PM

Hmmmm, tried loading the bbmaps per your instructions Orion....no luck. The app loader saw both after i had cleaned everything out....nada.

Loaded via apploader - i see it on applications, but no icon or way to kick it off.

justajason 06-18-2008 12:49 AM

Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded copy..
This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck...

rdinterman 06-18-2008 07:31 AM

I think I will pass on Google Maps until there is a better solution, my BES Admin is not likely to make these changes for me. The downgrade/upgrade is way too much work. Hopefully the next version of Google Maps or 4.5.xx will play better together.

PaCharger 06-18-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justajason (Post 976168)
Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded copy..
This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck...

Trying now....good time to delete all those annoying MediaMall service books too. I'll edit back when I get it working. thanks...DJ

PaCharger 06-18-2008 08:27 AM

Well, it worked, up and running.
First time using BBMaps, so i'll hold judgement till I get a more GUI time and experience using it. After so many years of relying on google maps there will be a learning curve but it looks like this will work.

I love using these apps in a diff city and in a rental car. Nice to have an extra set of instructions in a foreign place.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

wazdat1 06-20-2008 10:16 AM

Success!

I've been wrestling with the BES policy issue like everyone else. Google Maps hangs at 90% while asking permission to access the Radio and GPS.

Here's how I got around it. I had already backed up my 8310 before installing OS 4.5.0.37 from Vodafone.de. I used JL Cmdr to "restoretofactory" which removes all of the BES policies. I then installed Google Maps 2.0.2 and gave it permission to access the radio and GPS (several times). Tested it to make sure it was operational. Then opened Desktop manager and connected the BB to restore my data. The Enterprise Activation started on its own and I was prompted to set password, etc. which told me the IT policy had been restored.

Voila! (But what a pain in the a$$!)

I tried these same steps with GM v2.2.0 and although GM would open and locate me, within a few seconds I would receive a message that stated, "Google Maps requires a data connection... blah, blah, blah" and then it wouldn't update the maps.

Doug

irockash 06-23-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmwbberry (Post 959978)
So putting all this together...use Spamdumpsters instructions at the top of the post. Uninstall BBMaps through desktop mgr. Delete the service book. Go to the Blackberry Maps download site. Look at the bottom for the link to "push" the file to your computer. Pick a old version. I picked 1.2. Go through the questions...your name, bla bla bla..and you can download to your computer.

Go to desktop mgr. When I clicked "add"...and browsed to the location where I saved the old version...I then went down in the app list and there were two. I deleted both....then added again so I would know there was only 1 in there pointing to the old version. Installed...and it works perfect.

Thanks to all that post to help and allow us to figure this s*** out.

I love getting one over on AT&T when they try to take stuff away.

Hackers forever.

That worked really well. I deleted the currently installed BBMaps before even adding the new one, and it worked just fine.

Here's the link to the BBMaps download page.

Now if I could just get a damn GPS signal indoors...

myk.dinis 06-24-2008 12:07 AM

OMFG! Worked like a champ!!

Absolutely spot on! The link worked, the steps all worked...I'm on AT&T and I haven't been able to use BB Maps. I can now! :)

Thanks again!

Myk

Quote:

Enjoy 8-)

fmp 06-24-2008 04:50 PM

So, I follow all the steps to get the old version of BBMaps on the BB but can't a T-Mobile person export the service books (like they do for Yahoo Messenger) so we can use the new improved version of BBmaps?

UneeK 06-29-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamdumpster (Post 937068)

1. Google Maps. The issue reported is that the application hangs after you give it permission to access the radio information. Eventually, the app times out, and it's never usable. I experienced this as well. The solution I found is to downgrade to 4.2.2, install and run google maps, make sure it works, and then upgrade to 4.5 and let BB manager back up all databases, etc. This carries the permissions over and will allow google maps to run.

so i downgrade to 4.2 and then run google maps and then make a backup and then upgrade to 4.5 and then restore the backup file??

im actually a BIS user and my gmaps freezes at 10%, ive set all the permissions to allow and ive done several batter pulls. any suggestions?

pugenio 07-04-2008 02:18 PM

Where did you find the 1.6.4 version?? Can't find it anywhere!!

DJDAREK 07-05-2008 09:55 AM

"Nav4All" - works with 4.5?

Hello - is the "Nav4All" working with soft. ver. 4.5?
Anybody tested?

D.

BB Beast 07-08-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk.dinis (Post 984332)
Absolutely spot on! The link worked, the steps all worked...I'm on AT&T and I haven't been able to use BB Maps. I can now! :)

Thanks again!

Myk

Got it worken aswell.....:-o 8-) :bb:

sjsilverman 07-08-2008 09:15 AM

I actually have a different problem. I can get Google Maps to fire up (4.5.0.46 on an 8320). BUT, the triangulation won't work, meaning, it won't find my location using the cell phone towers. I've upgraded to the latest version, but it just won't figure out where I am. Any thoughts?

Jeff_R 07-09-2008 11:43 AM

After upgrading to OS 4.5, then removing the service book and BBMaps, moving the files over from the previous OS for BBMaps, it all works. Wasn't a quick fix, but thanks to all the great folks here in BBForums, it's working for me as well.

lemotzc 07-09-2008 12:14 PM

work me too :smile:(y)

bigme 07-09-2008 04:19 PM

Does anyone has a valid service book for BB Maps? If would you be kind enough to post it for us? Thanks

rubens 07-13-2008 11:47 PM

It apears that if you are on BES, and have ANY software configuration assigned (even with no policy associated), Google Maps hangs. If the software configuration for the user is set to None, Google Maps works fine.

Anyone figure out how to get a software configuration to work with Google Maps?

John Clark 07-13-2008 11:49 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

:-(

cbaray 07-14-2008 08:16 AM

I'm on BES. 8300 with beta 4.5.0.42.

I saw google maps got updated to 2.0.2 so I did that, without thinking about this thread. I had ignored this thread, because it's been working for me so far (because I had google maps at 4.2, then did the upgrade).

I came to this thread when google maps was now hanging. I wasn't thrilled about any of the options - downgrading or getting IT to remove me then add me back.

So I tried going into advanced options>applications>google maps>edit permissions and set everything to "allow".

That got it to work for me. It seems that 2.0.2 is a little slower to download, but it also seems to cache a bit more.

Have been wondering - if I delete 2.0.2 then goto backup/restore, will it allow me to add back 2.0.1 with all the proper permissions? I know it's a longshot...

cheeseman 07-14-2008 01:55 PM

this doesnt work in my country

cheeseman 07-14-2008 01:56 PM

some error

ams mike 07-19-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk.dinis (Post 984332)

Thanks again!

Myk

Same with me. Worked for me 1st try. finally have BBMaps on 4.5 OS on my ATT 8310. (y)

Jeff.H 07-22-2008 09:22 AM

I got BB Maps working per the link to download the latest from BB. I made sure to remove the lbs.alx file from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8110-v4.5.0.44_P2.7.0.61 and all files with LBS in them from the java folder there as well. Worked like a charm first time out.

jubrand 07-23-2008 10:55 AM

Where are you guys getting the old versions of google maps from?

John Clark 07-23-2008 10:58 AM

For the 8320 I use this:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6....4&dc=Web_exp02

This link should work for the 8100, too.

These are case sensitive.

rjhughes 07-23-2008 01:58 PM

From my post in another thread:

Thanks to BobJ on the Google Maps forum, a link to 1.6.4 has been found:
Google...

1.6.4 has an active link that does indeed load the earlier Google Maps on BES 4.5 BB's.
I just downloaded and installed. Not as robust as v2.2, but it will do for now.

John Clark 07-23-2008 02:03 PM

The one for the 8320 I posted above works, too.

jubrand 07-23-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjhughes (Post 1029719)
From my post in another thread:

Thanks to BobJ on the Google Maps forum, a link to 1.6.4 has been found:
Google...

1.6.4 has an active link that does indeed load the earlier Google Maps on BES 4.5 BB's.
I just downloaded and installed. Not as robust as v2.2, but it will do for now.

That link installed 2.2 for me.

John Clark 07-23-2008 03:47 PM

Did you try mine?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...ml#post1029414

jubrand 07-23-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1029924)

Your work around or your link to different version? This link just takes me to the work around.

John Clark 07-23-2008 03:59 PM

I posted links for installing Google Maps 1.6.4. There's not much else you can do unless you can convince your BES Admin to do something about it.

jubrand 07-23-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1029951)
I posted links for installing Google Maps 1.6.4. There's not much else you can do unless you can convince your BES Admin to do something about it.

Those links don't work for me.

John Clark 07-23-2008 04:08 PM

The one for the 8320 works as it's what I use all the time. As for the 8100 link, I just guessed.

jubrand 07-23-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1029974)
The one for the 8320 works as it's what I use all the time. As for the 8100 link, I just guessed.

Yea, I'm trying the 8100 one. Must be something different. Thanks though.

rjhughes 07-23-2008 05:31 PM

John pointed out to me in another thread that my link did not work. Not sure why, but if you go to the original post on Google Maps group and scroll down to BobL's reply, that link should take you to the 1.6.4 download site:

Google maps version to work with Blackberry OS4.5? - Google Maps for mobile | Google Groups

John Clark 07-23-2008 05:40 PM

rjhughes, it was just in the way you were copying the link. Here is the link from the Google Maps forum:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6....00_v4_1_L1.jad

John Clark 07-23-2008 05:54 PM

Here's a link specifically for the 8100:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6....00_v4_1_L1.jad

John Clark 07-23-2008 06:04 PM

Updated the first post with all the links.

jubrand 07-24-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1030131)
Updated the first post with all the links.

Thanks!

Torben 07-24-2008 10:55 AM

Finally!!!!

Finally got GMM 2.2.0 to work....and got it to work on three different users, with two different OS versions.

4.5.0.37 and 4.5.0.42 on T-Mobile Curve (8320)

This week we patched our BES server to SP6.

On the BES, for the users we tried to fix, we set the Assign Software Configuration to NONE

Waited about 10 minutes for the change to sync to the device.

Went to the Options - Advanced Options - Applications on the Blackberry.

Select Google Maps and Edit Permissions

and set PHONE to ALLOW

Now GMM works as designed.

It appears that any application config prohibits the Allow setting, however even without a config and Phone set to ALLOW, this did not solve the issue until we upgraded the BES to SP6.

read the same with some screenshots (www.torbenator.com/2008/07/24/Blackberry+OS+45+And+GoogleMaps+220+Problem+Solved .aspx)

Can anyone replicate this on their BES server?

John Clark 07-24-2008 11:13 AM

This has been documented already. Once you set it to none, you can load the app. It works like this on all versions of BES. You can even set the Software Configuration back and GMM will still work.

Hopefully they will get this fixed soon as I don't think admins want to do this for every user.

John Clark 07-24-2008 11:15 AM

I can't get your link to work, either.

Torben 07-24-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1031185)
This has been documented already. Once you set it to none, you can load the app. It works like this on all versions of BES. You can even set the Software Configuration back and GMM will still work.

Hopefully they will get this fixed soon as I don't think admins want to do this for every user.

I am not sure then, I had set the options, while named differently prior to SP6(see my confusion on top of page two) but I still could not get it to work.
As soon as we upgraded, my GMM started working.

I can only guess we were WAY behind on patches on our server, unfortunately i have no way of verifying this now.

(re link....for some reason there is a space before the .aspx, when i edit the message it is not there )

John Clark 07-24-2008 12:15 PM

Yeah, I see the space now. I didn't notice it. The forum does that for some reason and I've no idea why.

Our Admin has us on a Software Config for my bluetooth keyboard and for some ribbon icons for some job related sites that we access a lot. This would require the admin to remove the software config (set it to none,) load GMM and then set it back, correct?