BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Switching from Pearl to Tour... would you?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, first let me say I love my Pearl.

The features I use most:
1. SMS & MMS text - MMS text is a must because i receive & send photos with my job. No complaints about my Pearl.
2. Camera - Pearl takes a great pic however zooming causes the photo to become out of focus. When your taking the pic you don't see the "fuzzies" but you see when you download / view it later you do. I can live with the Pearls camera but an upgrade would be nice.
3. Internet / email. I have my comcast & work accounts sent to my Pearl. I'm mostly satisfied but..... it takes a few minutes for me to send a pic over the web and I can only send one pic at a time, plus the Pearl doesn't have the ability to use wifi. Also, I'm on a lot of sports websites that update in real time. My Pearl can access these sports sites but the information on the browser is always misaligned if that makes any sense.

It is my understanding that BB apps works with the Tour (can't get it to work on the Pearl).

SO MY QUESTION IS... do you guys think I will be happier switching to the Tour? Also, my address book is quite large... will data transfer be as easy as it was when i upgraded to my current Pearl (verizon did it).

THANKS!!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Tour will support all of your favorite features of the Pearl. It comes down to a matter of preference in terms of screen size, Qwerty vs. SureType keypad, and overall device real estate.

One thing to keep in mind: all new BlackBerry devices are using Micro USB connections for chargers and sync cables. Certianly not a showstopper, as an AC charger and sync cale come with the Tour (I believe).But be aware that you won't be able to use your Pearl cables on a Tour without an adaptor.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
The Tour will support all of your favorite features of the Pearl. It comes down to a matter of preference in terms of screen size, Qwerty vs. SureType keypad, and overall device real estate.

One thing to keep in mind: all new BlackBerry devices are using Micro USB connections for chargers and sync cables. Certianly not a showstopper, as an AC charger and sync cale come with the Tour (I believe).But be aware that you won't be able to use your Pearl cables on a Tour without an adaptor.
Thanks.... whoa... i always assumed i would be able to have and/or download SureType. I must admit, when i first used SureType I was 50/50 on it but after time I learned to love it (ok, I'lll say it, I can't spell). i will look into Qwerty.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, that didn't take long. When i referred to SureType I wasn't talking about the key layout, I was talking about the way Pearl presents words on the screen that it thinks i'm typing as I'm typing. Is that a different app?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you like the Pearl, why switch? Seems to me that you answered your own question.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you like the Pearl, why switch? Seems to me that you answered your own question.
I'd like better access to the internet, video capability, plus I'd like to add some apps from the BB apps.... but i don't want to lose the Pearl features that I've grown to love. Another thing is, i travel to mexico once a year and the Pearl is not a world phone.

Last edited by GeoGiant; 08-16-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

I do know that the newer 5.0 OS that will be released will feature predictive text for full QWERTY keypad devices, so once that is released it should take care of that issue. And the Tour does have a nicer camera and screen than the Pearl.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGiant View Post
Ok, first let me say I love my Pearl.

The features I use most:
1. SMS & MMS text - MMS text is a must because i receive & send photos with my job. No complaints about my Pearl.
2. Camera - Pearl takes a great pic however zooming causes the photo to become out of focus. When your taking the pic you don't see the "fuzzies" but you see when you download / view it later you do. I can live with the Pearls camera but an upgrade would be nice.
3. Internet / email. I have my comcast & work accounts sent to my Pearl. I'm mostly satisfied but..... it takes a few minutes for me to send a pic over the web and I can only send one pic at a time, plus the Pearl doesn't have the ability to use wifi. Also, I'm on a lot of sports websites that update in real time. My Pearl can access these sports sites but the information on the browser is always misaligned if that makes any sense.

It is my understanding that BB apps works with the Tour (can't get it to work on the Pearl).

SO MY QUESTION IS... do you guys think I will be happier switching to the Tour? Also, my address book is quite large... will data transfer be as easy as it was when i upgraded to my current Pearl (verizon did it).

THANKS!!!!!
Well my daughter and I just got new Tours Friday night...she had a 8330 and I had an 8830. We are having some issues with the Tours, me more than her. So if you love your Pearl, I think I would hold off at least for now til they get the glitches worked out. I loved my 8830 and this Tour is driving me nuts!! I wish I had my 8830 on Alltel back right now.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
cruwl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Sprint

i dropped my pearl for the tour, never looked back.

only draw back is the loss of sure type, other then that its way better.
My pearl was damn near out of onboard memory from all my apps, my tours still has 100mb+ left even after i re-installed everything.

The screen is pretty close to twice the size and just beautiful.

go play with a tour in a store see if you like it.

tours pictures compared to my pearls is insane, the auto stabilize also helps tons.
I only took my tour on my vacation, and i have great pics from it, compared to the ok onces my pearl would have taken.

tour doesnt have wifi either, same as the pearl.

if your really temped to keep your pearl, maybe you should update the OS on it your probably on 4.2 or 4.3 if you have updated there is a 4.5 available for it, cause you say you want video, and app store, both of those worked on my pearl.

and all you have to do to transfer is install the software on the CD.
start it up, plug in the old BB, hit upgrade to new device and follow the on screen instructions.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Dingster1

PIN: 30c817e6
Carrier: verizon

My son and I upgraded from Pearls this weekend. No problems with either device although his battery door is a little loose but he threw on a case. I am glad to be able to see the screen when I surf. I'm still getting used to the layout though but no biggie. Took advantage of verizons BOGO sale and my last $100 NE2
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
GeoGiant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, I order a tour. It should be here in a few days. I'm sure I will be here try to work my way thru the set up.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Berto

You're going to miss autocomplete, no doubt. I hear the predictive text options will be there in version 5.0, so we'll have to wait.

Other than that, what's killing me is that all of my old Pearl chargers, USB cables, car cables are now OBSOLETE because the Tour has a skinnier micro-usb plug. Pearl was MiniUSB and now I only have one charger. I used to have chargers all over the house and car. Need to buy a few more.

Last edited by Berto; 08-20-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Berto

Woohoo, found a solution!!!

Going to buy 3 of these and then I'll be happy. This is way cheaper than all new cables.

Blackberry and Motorola RAZR2 V8, V9, V9m, Q9h OEM Original Micro USB to Mini USB Adapter - SKN6252 (1 PC)
Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
djdonnyk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: 32FDED**
Carrier: Sprint/Now Network

Wirelessly posted (8130)

I switched from Pearl to Tour and it took me a couple of weeks to get use to the keyboard. Now that I have had it for a while I would never turn back! I also love the fast tethering speed on the Tour.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
jimmysvt

Wirelessly posted

Have you gotten your Tour yet tell us how you like it so far
Closed Thread