Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
BKreisler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Thinking of taking my BB back

Please Login to Remove!

I have been wanting a smart phone for awhile, but when I bought my Curve, I didn't do the research. It was an impulse buy from Best Buy. The people there told me that the phone had wi-fi. It turns out my phone has GPS, not wi-fi.

I love this phone, but I expected to be able to use Wi-Fi on it. It is hard to justify it as a business expense since it isn't on the 3G network for AT&T and it doesn't have Wi-Fi. I had this idea that I could tether it to my laptop and jettison my air card. I should have waited for the Bold, but I wanted the phone now...

I think I still have a few days to return the phone. Is there something I should be aware of when doing this? I know that Best Buy is good about returns, but is AT&T good about cancelling the contract?

Thanks in advance!

~~BK
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

You should be able to tether your phone and use it as an aircard, but it may cost extra. I am not famiuliar with AT&T, but I know Verizon charges for that. Also, you may be able to pick up and unlocked 8320, which has wifi, and use that on your AT&T plan.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

If you are within the 14 or 30 day window (according to your state laws), AT&T has no choice but to cancel with your buyer's remorse, with no penalty.

You should likewise speak to the manager at the Best Buy and inform him/her of the misinformation passed along to you the sales associate. Not to get them in trouble--but to improve their customer satisfaction.

It does appear the Bold will be your best choice, if you can wait, maybe, another month.

Good luck, and welcome to the BBForums.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
BKreisler

Will I be able to go with another carrier immediately after cancelling the the AT&T contract? I am considering T Mobile, since their Curve has wi-fi. I have a conference out of town at the end of the month, which is why I bought the phone (that and pure greed. ) So, I may want to buy a phone now instead of waiting.

I am terrified of making another bad decision. I feel really dumb about the no wi-fi thing. I even told the girl that my biggest nightmare was getting home and finding out the phone didn't have something like wi-fi...

~~BK
Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yes, you will be able to pickup another carrier instantly.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you sign up with T-Mobile and port your number over, it should cancel your AT&T contact, and since it is within the trial period you wont have to pay an Early Termination Fee.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
BKreisler

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

One more question-- will wi-fi be another monthly charge? I know, I know, that is a silly question, isn't it?

~~BK
Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, it will not be

There are no silly questions. You are here looking for information, and we are here to give it. Please feel free and not embarrassed to ask any question you have!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
BKreisler

Thanks again, very much! I am astonished at everyone's patience and generosity with their time.

~~BK
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

Make sure you get an 8320 curve instead of the 8310.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #11
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

Keep in mind that the wireless store in best buy is run by wiredly in most locations now.
Make sure if you port your number to return equipment
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
webcash

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mobile

Please dont take this the wrong way but being a total phone addict i know exactly where you are coming from.I know you desperately want this phone and you have explained why.But you also mentioned wanting the Bold.If you do rush out and buy the 8320 then how long before you are going to want the Bold.I know its hard but could you resist until the Bold comes out.Only reason i ask is because i know that the initial buzz of a new phone dont normally last that long and with an even newer shinier potentially better model just around the corner is it not worth waiting

Just my thoughts

Peter
Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Doesn't the data plan trump WiFi? Why would you want WiFi?

Maybe you don't have a data plan and intend to find WiFi locations rather than purchase one?

Am I missing something important here?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKreisler View Post
I have been wanting a smart phone for awhile, but when I bought my Curve, I didn't do the research. It was an impulse buy from Best Buy. The people there told me that the phone had wi-fi. It turns out my phone has GPS, not wi-fi.

I love this phone, but I expected to be able to use Wi-Fi on it. It is hard to justify it as a business expense since it isn't on the 3G network for AT&T and it doesn't have Wi-Fi. I had this idea that I could tether it to my laptop and jettison my air card. I should have waited for the Bold, but I wanted the phone now...

I think I still have a few days to return the phone. Is there something I should be aware of when doing this? I know that Best Buy is good about returns, but is AT&T good about cancelling the contract?

Thanks in advance!

~~BK
If 3G is important, then remember that TMO is the last of the carriers to be rolling it out and it may be some time for them to be as saturated as the other 3. Maybe you should consider Sprint or Verizon. All their BBs run 3G on the fast EVDO network. Not to mention their coverage is far superior to TMO.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
traveling guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't go over the horizon if you got Verizon

Verizon charges $15 per month in addition to their data plan to tether your laptop to your BB. Just remember that Wi-Fi isn't exactly everywhere and I have had plenty of problems in hotels when trying to log on with my laptop just to check emails, which is why I went BB two years ago. The speeds they offer aren't that great (115K or more) with a limit to 5GB bandwith per month, but their service is just about every where.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Doesn't the data plan trump WiFi? Why would you want WiFi?

Maybe you don't have a data plan and intend to find WiFi locations rather than purchase one?

Am I missing something important here?
No, when you're connected to WiFi, you can choose the WiFi over the Data when using the browser.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
skottema

Model: 8310

From what you are telling us, I would definitely wait for the Bold for a couple reasons:

1. Tethering to a BB on EDGE is still reasonably slow so waiting for 3G is worth it.
2. The processor on the 8320 is decent but not great and thus the Wi-Fi is not much better then just using EDGE. The Bold will have a much faster processor and thus faster Wi-Fi.
3. I own a 8310 and couldn't live without GPS. Again this is just my opinion since I travel a lot. The 8320 lacks GPS but the Bold will have it.

Good luck and if you are having any buyers remorse I would definitely return it! Nothing worse then trying to get out of a contract you don't want.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #18
BKreisler

You all are fantastic! You have answered questions I did not know I had! Thank you!

~~BK
Old 07-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #19
Smokey Carol

Carrier: verizon

Okay, I am trying to figure this out. I have Verizon and pay $60 a month for the PC card for laptop. Also, now have BB curve 8330 and I think it has wifi as i use internet and email. Is ther some way that I could use the BB "tethered" (is that with the cable provided?) and forego the $60 pc card? Would be worth the $15 fee if that works, and how do i find out about that?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKreisler View Post
Yikes! Definitely do your homework before any purchase of this sort. Do not ever count on Best Buy reps for purchase decisions. You can't even really count on at&t reps. Having worked for Best Buy in the past I can definitely say that they really receive very little training.

You definitely need to research the device and the carrier. At&t charges extra for tethering. EDGE tethering isn't much fun IMO.

I'd also suggest waiting for the Bold if both 3G and WiFi are important to you. Signing up with TMO means that you'll be locked in with them and it will be a while before they fully roll out their 3G network. If you really must get a BB right away get an 8320 and unlock it and use it with at&t.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-22-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Closed Thread