p2theb

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Talking Contracts for BlackBerry...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here!
I have reached the point where I really need to have access to my email while on the move so have decided to get a blackberry. The problem is I'm not sure which service provider offers the best (and cheapest) monthly contract. I have had a look at websites but its all a bit confusing and as I don't know the difference between handsets etc. I thought it best to ask for help!

I'm in the UK and looking for a cheap contract that will give me access to my email and a nice blackberry - any suggestions would be great,

Thanks alot
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Welcome to the forums!

We have lots of UK members here, so I'm sure someone will chime in with the lowest cost vendors.

However, your first path is to find out what vendor has the best coverage for you..... no coverage and it won't matter if it the device and service are free
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
p2theb

Thank you juwaack68 I live near London and am mainly in London so am guessing the signal will be pretty good from everyone?

Thank you for your advice...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

Wirelessly posted

Hi

Which device are you interested in?

O2 is currently offering a free blackberry bolt on on their devices on voice contracts at 35 and over. This offer ends on 31st July.

If you are interested in the new BlackBerry Bold release is expected in August but nothing definite as yet.

Most networks now have similar packages and costs. Who are you currently with?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
p2theb

Thank you Foxglove,
I don't currently have a BlackBerry and there is not a particular model I am interested in.
I am hoping to find a contract for less than 35 per month - any ideas?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Yes you should be able to find one for less than 35 possibly around 30 but this may affect how many minutes and texts you get as what you have to do with all the networks is to get a voice contract and then add a blackberry tariff to it.

A good thing to do is to go on their websites and go through the procedure of buying online without actually buying as near the end you should get the total cost.

The blackberry providers are o2, Orange, T mobile , BT and Vodafone. Bear in mind that with o2 that the BB bolt on cannot be done online and has to be added over the phone I think but it is 10.

Also sometimes smaller voice plans may result in you having to pay something towards the handset.

Last edited by Foxglove; 07-22-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
kparton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
PIN: 20688648
Carrier: Orange UK

Hi matey,

I'm in the UK too, I have an Orange Contract.

I pay 31 a month for a 2 year contract comprising of:

600 anytime Minutes p/month
Unlimited Text messages
Unlimited Data
Unlimited BIS

Its the best deal so far in the UK if your ok with a 2 year contract, lower terms mean higher cost with orange but only a few pounds. Also Orange do not do the 8310 (gps), they only do the 8320 (wifi) which in my eyes is better.

NOTE: they do the 8820 and the 8120 as well.

NOTE: The BB phone will be free if you take out a 30+ p/m tariff, anything less you will have to chip in a few bob to get the phone. All BB phones on a 2 year contract will be free no matter what monthly tariff you choose.

Last edited by kparton; 07-22-2008 at 08:28 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Orange's new Emerald Black curve is gorgeous.

Orange's wifi also has UMA which means free calls and BIS over wifi. I cannot say how well this works as I am not on Orange.

To get a feel for each of the available devices it would be a good idea to call into a shop and get a feel for each device to see which model you feel most comfortable with and to decide what features you would prefer to have.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
p2theb

Talking

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice,
I decided to go into town and look at the various devices and options.
I found that Orange do an email and internet only package without calls which for a 24month contract is just over 10 per month. This is perfect for me as I would rather buy the handset and have a low monthly and don't need to use it for calls!

So even though I was just going to 'have a look' I am now the proud option of a BB Curve 8320 in Emerald Black which (as you note foxglove) is really nice!!! The handset cost me nearly 80 (which I think is quite cheap ??).

Just need to get it working now so I can get my email - and don't quite understand the UMA and BIS bit yet??

Quote:
Orange's wifi also has UMA which means free calls and BIS over wifi. I cannot say how well this works as I am not on Orange.
Pete
Closed Thread