BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #21
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Greywolf....we are running a local MSDE today but are looking to upgrade to SQL and then bring up a 2nd production box to run off the same SQL Db. Need to read up on this scenerio as I am not a SQL expert by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #22
hannahkat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell

The problem of a failed SP2 install UNinstalling the server software is not isolated - that's what happened to us - unfortunately with the production server. We had to reinstall everything, rebuild the database, and then deal with every user having to regenerate the encryption key on their BB to get back online - we had about 4000 pending messages for a few days afterwards. We've now got a script running on the server to restart the synch services every 4 hours as it does not do maintain synch otherwise. Other random and annoying issues persist - about 25% of new activations do not work properly and have to be wiped and redone.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #23
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Ouch! Scary stuff hannakat!! Your experience makes me even MORE wary about applying SP2 to our production BES environment!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #24
Ice
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7550
Default still sticking with 2.246

It seems every patch RIM release's seems to create more problems. I thought the whole Idea of sp & HF was to fix the bugs. RIM has an external Quality assurance team (US) that are paying RIM to find bugs in their software. Isn't this supposed to work the other way around?

For these reasons alone we have chosen to stick with 2.246 (Notes 6.5.2) for the time being. Our users(100) are constantly naging me to upgrade our server but until RIM comes out with a solid release I can't be going through all these pains.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

why would you have to rebuild the database if the server-side BES software was uninstalled during a botched installation? did it delete/corrupt the database? to my knowledge, it doesn't do anything but update the server version within the database on the SP update.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #26
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Okay, I was planning on doing my install on Saturday (did my test environment two weeks ago and all is well) but seeing all these issues kinda scares me.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #27
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

i'd say the issues you are reading about happen in less than 1-2% of the installations. just double- and triple-check your current configuration against what is detailed/outlined by RIM (permissions, etc). i've upgraded 5 servers now with no installation issues, including single servers multiple times (for testing purposes). the issue i mentioned above likely has more to do with a database migration rather than a patch update. i'm going to attempt to fix it tonight.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #28
blubyu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

In case anybody cares, I applied the SP2 to my BES 4.0 server last Friday. The upgrade went fine. It did take about a half hour after the upgrade for messages to start flowing though. That kind of scared me. I have no test environment, my users are my test environment

Here are our specs:

Windows 2003 sp1 server OS
BES 4.0 for GroupWise
Groupwise 7.0 on all servers (GW 6.5.4 client on BES server).
Local MSDE install
30 users
Don't know the mdac version, forgot to look when I upgraded
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #29
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

The most important think in the SP2 upgrade seems to be an updated sqlsvr32.dll. This is a doc RIM released about it.

-----

The Release Notes for BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 Service Pack 2 state that Microsoft Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 is a requirement for BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 Service Pack 2. This pre-requisite was created to ensure that host servers were running a version of the sqlsrv32.dll file that resolved some issues with SQL-related BlackBerry Enterprise Server operations.

As an alternative, a Windows Security Update that updates the sqlsrv32.dll file to version 2000.85.1025.0 meets the requirements to install and run BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 Service Pack 2.

To obtain the Windows Security Update, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-003.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #30
conwawj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkb
I've had a problem where a lot of my users show up as "Initializing". Those users seem to have full functionality with their devices, but there statistics don't update in the Handheld Manager. It's not a major deal until I try to determine if a specific user has pending messages. I've tried all of the usual fixes (stop and start the BES, reboot the server, recreate the profiles DB, etc.) without any success.
I've had this same problem with SP2 for Domino. I spoke with RIM and they say the issue is only cosmetic. During the upgrade the ID in the UserConfig table becomes out of sync for some users and so it doesn't display their correct status in the BES Manager. They had me send them a ton of data to verify the problem and they are supposedly going to have a rep call me back with a SQL script to run against the database to sync everything up again. I agree that RIM is doing a horrible job with their service packs and hotfixes at least with the Domino version.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #31
CS1R2K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7750

conwawj, i had the same thing happen to my BES after the upgrade. RIM is still telling me that it's a problem on my end.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #32
conwawj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Call them back and tell them you think it's related to SDR66114.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 AM   #33
pinkfoot

Model: 7730

Since upgrading v4 to sp2 I see a lot of OTAC Batching Updates for users on Domino servers that are down for backup. Anyone know what an OTAC batching update does?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #34
belair57

Model: Curve
Carrier: vodafone

@conwawj

I have the same problem on my BES 4.0.2.

This is the answer from RIM:
Quote:
The issue that your customer is facing is a known issue.
With the release of BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0.2 for Domino, a change was incorrectly introduced.
In certain situations an incorrect statistical reference is made causing the information displayed via the BlackBerry Manager to be incorrect.
I believe your customer is experiencing this very problem.
There is a Knowledgebase article related to this issue. Article Number: KB-04446
We are looking to fix this issue with the next service pack release.
The time frame for this release is undetermined.
Closed Thread