BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Ahh I need advice, should I exchange my Bold ?

Please Login to Remove!

I really need help, this maybe a bit long but I want to know if I should exchange my phone or not, only due to battery life...

It's *really* bad.

Okay basically in my house, on the top 2 floors I get 3-5 bars, always on 3G. In my basement I get between 0 bars and 4 bars, depending on where I am (it's a walkout basement so If I'm close to the door it's okay, if I'm in the middle of it sometimes it's okay sometimes it loses reception completely). I'm in the basement quite a bit though...

I would consider myself a light user, I send recieve maybe 10-30 emails/sms per day, no bluetooth ever, no wifi ever, no music, no videos etc, less than an hour talk time, and maybe 10 mins of maps/browsing/games (ie very little). I just pin back and forth with my friend most of the day though...

With the curve I could go for 2 days EASY. 3 if I really wanted to. With the bold I could barely pull off 12 hours when I got it. I thought it might be the 3G, as I read that looking for 3G (in basement) drains the battery really quick. So I put it on 2G only and all day on edge it BARELY imporoved. Using the phone exactly the same as my Curve, I got maybe 13 hours now instead of 12 but I got 2+ days on the Curve!!

So I put it back on 2G & 3G the way it was, and then I tried experimenting with it a bit. For the past 2 days I didn't go in the basement at all with it (ok maybe for 5 mins) and I left it upstairs where I get 3-5 bars with 3G always. The first day I woke up at maybe 10 30 or 11, and at 10 30 at night it was at 45%. The second day I woke up at noon lol and at 1:30 AM it was at 50% (I didn't really talk on it much though).

So, how does this sound? If I stay away from the basement I can pull off a day no problem, but it's still pretty horrible. I'm lost because it's not like 100% defective where it dies in 2 hours with no use but it's also no where NEAR the stuff I read in the battery thread, where people go to sleep with 75% left, or being at 50% after 24 hours. I doubt I can pull that much at all, nevermind having 50% left. I can like see the battery bars drop on this phone as I use it...And I wouldn't even consider myself a heavy user, at all....Some of the people that get WAY better results use the phone 10x more than me.

THe *ONLY* thing I can think of is because sometimes I'm messaging my friends back and forth on BBM for a good part of the day etc the screen is on kind of a lot, and the new screen takes up more battery but it can't be THIS bad just because of that. ANd I'm sure most people are the same way with their phones..

I am also completely lost as to how I got such horrible battery life when I turned off 3G, I mean isn't that where the drainage comes from? With my curve in my basement always going in/out of reception area it did perfect and lasted VERY long. I don't understand why it drains that badly jsut because the signal is bad..

Other than this issue I'm very happy with the phone, no creaks or other complaints (other than my other thread about the battery pull but I'm hoping it's a one time thing).... just this issue is bugging me and I don't know what to do (just got my zagg heh so I want to know if I should put it on or exchange the phone and put it on the new one).

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Oh yeah I'm running the .126 build that's stickied at the top..
PS. If it wasn't clearly I meant exchange it for another Bold and see if it's better. I like this phone too much to switch phones beacause of this (even though it's a really big issue)

Last edited by BlitzSix; 09-06-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

I would exchange it... Doesn't hurt to do it. Tell them you barely get half a days worth of battery life. It could be a battery issue or a hardware issue... I would try with the battery. Get them to give you a new one see if that helps. If not then its hardware and fight for an exchange if they don't want to give you one. That's what I think you should do. Exchange the battery first and take it from there

Let us know how it goes..
Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
bbcan007
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers

my bold goes on at 7am and off at 11pm ,most times 40%plus.the phone is to be used ,if you are at home ,just plug it in and use bt. I am always away from power and I am quite happy with the battery.
Closed Thread