Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #61
knoxpd
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 247d1088
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up testing this

Please Login to Remove!

testing this app on my 8310 will post later what i think about it so far real good and gain memory.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #62
dhahn

Model: 7250
Carrier: Nextel

CrackMem 2 looks and works great. Thanks so much for your work on this.
dwhahn
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #63
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
I had a decision to make when I designed CrackMem. SHould I completly clean up after running and delete any folders (and their contents if the user did not use Put It Back) or, shoul dI just leave the RemovedFiles folder in place with whatever it contained.

I opted for the latter and persued a policy of 'never delete anything'. The logic was that if I deleted stuff, the user would then be unable to ever use a pristine OS again. The downside is, as you have discovered that if you delete and OS from youe system after you have ever used a Remove module with CrackMem then there will be a RemovedFiles folder + an OS folder (in your case, this was 8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44.

At some time I geuss that you had this OS on your PC and used CrackMem and then deleted the OS. This would have left the folders and the files on your disk.

Each OS is kept in its own folder so that the files don't get mixed up. The exception is Vendor.xml which is overwritten in the AppLoader folder each time you install a new OS and is outside my control.

If yo have two OSs install for your phone then Desktop Manager (not CrackMem) will always install the latest valid OS on your phone. This if you have an 8310 (my own phone) and have OS 4.2.2.194 and 4.5.0.69 installed then to upgrade, you just run CrackMem, remove Vendor.xml (as a minimum) and then run DM and that will install .69. To downgrade you MUST uninstall .69 from your phone and then insure that Vendor.xml has been removed prior to trying to downgrade to 4.2.2.194. Which is now the higiest valid OS availabe for installation.

I am sorry that thos post rambles and you are probably going to have to read it a couple of times but I really did want to fully explain what decisions I made and how they are implemented.

Using CrackMem is a little like tryong to butter a sandwich after your have made it. It slides in after installing the OS on the PC and running DM. RIM never planned on CrackMem existing - what bad planning.
Pete:

I wanted to post a 'followup' to this saga. As promised, I gave CrackMem another shot and it performed flawlessly.

I used it to decrapify the latest 4.5 (4.5.0.92/4.5.0.69) for my 8800... and it did exactly what I wanted/told it to do.

I am 100% certain that my previous issues with CrackMem were extensions of the other OS upgrade/install issues that I encountered, and that I managed to confuse CrackMem with the installing/uninstalling/reinstalling of the OS upgrade.

Thanks for the tips, explanations and the great software tool!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #64
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Hi Pete,

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread (this has become a fairly lengthy topic).

When removing VAD does CrackMem give you the option to remove only the files for specific languages? I use VAD every day but I need only the English files so my routine when updating my OS is to remove the VAD files for all languages except English.

I actually go through and remove all the .cod files for all applications relating to other languages (anything with suffixes _fr, _es, etc) just to get things as clean as possible. It would be cool to have that option built into CrackMem.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #65
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I believe the loader only loads language files that match the requested language/default language. So, for example, if you don't load the Spanish language files, I believe the loader bypasses ALL of the _ES_ files for any application.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #66
biggdogg40509
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 247B16AC

i have installed this app on my pc where i also have Bb desktop software etc, but i get an error saying that it can not find an OS.
any suggestions?
thanks
PIN: 247B16AC
Xbox Gamertag:biggdogg40509
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #67
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I used this today on 8130 4.5.0.77 and for some reason it didn't delete the Vendor.xml file...I'm sure I selected that as I selected it in the crackmem screen, but after I executed the changes and exited Crackmem and ran Apploader, it didn't see the new 4.5.0.77 OS.

I went and manually renamed the file and re-ran apploader and it worked fine...

The last time I used Crackmem on 4.5.0.66 I thought it worked fine, so this is strange.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #68
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Swisscom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
I used this today on 8130 4.5.0.77 and for some reason it didn't delete the Vendor.xml file...I'm sure I selected that as I selected it in the crackmem screen, but after I executed the changes and exited Crackmem and ran Apploader, it didn't see the new 4.5.0.77 OS.

I went and manually renamed the file and re-ran apploader and it worked fine...

The last time I used Crackmem on 4.5.0.66 I thought it worked fine, so this is strange.
I know why thi happened and there is a bug in my software. I am very sorry. The bug is now fixed in v2.7 and I shall post that here as soon as I have finished my reply here.

The bug was that if there was a copy of Vendor.xml in my RemovedFiles folder and there was one in the Apploader folder then CrackMem was unable to remove the file from Apploader. This is because I never actually delete anything and the program did not know what to do. I have now fixed this by really deleting the copy of Vendor.xml in RemovedFiles if you are trying to remove Vendor.xml from another OS. Tis way the latest copy of Vendor.xml is preserved. This is the only time that I ever really delete a file in CrackMem.

I am sorry that your were inconvenienced.

Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #69
Pete6

Carrier: Swisscom

I just put up CrackMem v2.7. The main change is a new function to rename the DocumensToGo.alx file to DocumentsToGo.old. This function is of use to users who run DocsToGo from DataViz Corp.

DocsToGo is distributed with a number of later OSs and will installs a limited functionality version. This may be upgraded OTA for free from the DataViz website. A further, paid upgrade offers full functionality via the Premium edition. This upgrade is either OTA or downloaable via a zip file on request from DataViz.

However if the upgrade is applied and then the BlackBerry is conected to Desktop Manager whilst the OS remains installed, DM will immediately uninstall all the DocsToGo upgrades. I contacted DavaViz via email and they have told me that their approved remedy for this is to rename the DicumentsToGo.alx file to DocumentsToGo.old.

Personally I think that this is a real kludge for a compration to tell a user to rename a file inside the Program Files folder.

The gray subpanel is the part that handles the rename.

Select one or other of the two radio buttons and press the DoIt key. CrackMem will tell you what action it has taken. If you try to rename the file that has already been renamed, Crackmem will says so.

You can make this change at any time - either before or after OS instalation.

Remember that this option is only valid for OSs that have DocsToGo included. The rest of CrackMem works as before.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #70
my700m

Model: 8320
Carrier: Orange

thank you!good!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #71
ary.xiao

Model: 8100
Carrier: Lenovo V806

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #72
queennouni

Carrier: Vodafone
Default Incorrect Password

I used Crackmem and when I wanted to wipe my BlackBerry
I entered an incorrect password 10 times and now my BB won't even start or connect to any PC..
How can I fix my BB
And what happened?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #73
oblik

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

um why can't it recognize the OS i have in my system? it says i have none installed....
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #74
Tony Matthews

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange

Hi Pete. Sweet app - I just used it to remove a whole bunch of unwanted themes and it worked perfectly. Many thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #75
psychicreader80

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (horrible Provider)

I do love this program! Learn how to use it befire complaining.

queennouni- What happened was that you entered the password wrong 10 times.

WARNING: If you people have no idea what you are doing, do not use this program.

Come on people, get with the program!!!!

http://freebbstuff.ning.com/
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #76
fismail

Carrier: Vodacom-SA/MTN-SA

Hi there.

I've bricked my Javelin / Curve 8900 multiple times (about 11 to be exact) in 1 day.

I got it from MTN and I have a Vodacom sim in it with BES/BIS loaded.

Using the device out of the box with the Vodacom simcard works fine.

I bricked it using JL_Cmder (classic 507 error) on display and then used your tool to load a more streamlined version of the OS without the operator (MTN's) logo on startup but unfortunately whilst it succeeds in loading an OS (it does not remove MTN's logo)

The device works perfectly though , I've downloaded and installed 3 versions of Vodafone firmware on it as well as one random one from some carrier in South America and again whilst it loaded , I ticked all the options on Crackmem to remove just about everything and then executed those selections and then started a wipe again even after JL_Cmder had its way with the device (just no luck)

I think that Blackberry and / or the operator (MTN) has a different way or procedure to load firmware or they have write-protected some aspect of it on the device (one can brick the phone but whatever firmware you install after bricking it , you get the same version as what was originally on the device out of the box when supplied to me)

For what its worth its an excellent tool (I am going to try it on my test Pearl 8100) anyways.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #77
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Loading a different OS will never change the startup splash screen. If you want to "debrand" it you'll have to do a google search on how to "debrand" your BlackBerry. I don't recommend it, though.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #78
fismail

Carrier: Vodacom-SA/MTN-SA

Hmm , so after all that I accomplished nothing.

I was under the assumption that the "Remove Carrier Themes" also applied to the startup logo.

My device is working fine so I won't willingly brick it some more.

Out of interest how difficult is it to debrand a Berry with regards to the startup and home screen icons and have you tried this before ?

I did a search on Google and came up with the links for debranding info , quite interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Loading a different OS will never change the startup splash screen. If you want to "debrand" it you'll have to do a google search on how to "debrand" your BlackBerry. I don't recommend it, though.

Last edited by fismail; 03-25-2009 at 02:45 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #79
aztecaa

Carrier: none
Question No Operating System Could be Found!!!

I downloaded and there is no operating system.
Can someone help me to fix this issue!
Thanx
Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #80
aztecaa

Carrier: none
Default No Operating System Could be Found!!!

I am having trouble with the operating system appearing in the left window....It is empty!
Can somebody help me to fix this problem.
Thanx
Oh, I have 4.5 on the 8100 BBPearl and 4.6 desktop manager.
Closed Thread