Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Stick with Iphone or use CURVE?

Please Login to Remove!

I am in this dilemma of deciding whether to keep using my iphone 3G or to switch to using my curve. See the thing is is that the iphones virtual keyboard kind of annoys me, but besides that I really like everything else about the phone. The Curve 8300 I have lying around, I love the keyboard on this thing, but things like the browser and lack of FULL html email display kind of sucks...

So what should I do, stick with using my iphone 3G or start using my Curve 8300 again...
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

The curve enables html email as well.
This is a personal decision. Iphone looks great but then again I know the keyboard could be challenging for some.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Curve does enable html? the 8300 one? I didn't see this possible.. would I have to upgrade the firmware or something to be able to do this?

I've go to think about what I'm going to do, should I stick with the iphone or use the curve.... the keyboard on the curve is amazing for me whereas for the iphone, the keyboard bothers me.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
buneech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Si.mobil/Vodafone Slovenia

You have to upgrade OS, v4.5.0.55 is the minimum for HTML support.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Ya, but only on a BIS, BES has to be 4.1 of higher...sucks.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
buneech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Si.mobil/Vodafone Slovenia

Wirelessly posted

I always forget about this. Yes, accordingly to my carrier, BES has to be 4.1.8 (has to have SP6 applied).

Last edited by buneech; 10-22-2008 at 12:44 AM..
Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

hmm I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep the iphone or to sell it and just use my curve.... more suggestions are welcomed
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Seems like any other comparison...

Make a pros and cons list and assign a weight to each item based on your needs/wants. Which items matter most to you? It really doesn't matter what we think is important if it doesn't jive with your needs/wants.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
choi4096
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Globe Telecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibodybuild View Post
Curve does enable html? the 8300 one? I didn't see this possible.. would I have to upgrade the firmware or something to be able to do this?

I've go to think about what I'm going to do, should I stick with the iphone or use the curve.... the keyboard on the curve is amazing for me whereas for the iphone, the keyboard bothers me.
Yes you do. HTML in email is enabled with the 4.5 OS version for curve. Yeah I tried that iPhone for a month, and really, there's nothing on that phone that can make me turn my back from my curve. And you're right, that virtual keyboard really sucks. So it's the CURVE, baby!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by choi4096 View Post
Yes you do. HTML in email is enabled with the 4.5 OS version for curve. Yeah I tried that iPhone for a month, and really, there's nothing on that phone that can make me turn my back from my curve. And you're right, that virtual keyboard really sucks. So it's the CURVE, baby!
I have come down to this,

The things that I mainly use are email / BeeJiveIM / Facebook .... and can get all these for the Curve. The more I use the iphone, the more the keyboard bothers me and I must say that I think I "need" a physical keyboard to actually type fast. Most of the apps on the iphone are pretty good, but honestly they are somewhat of a time waster and I can live without them.

The iphone keyboard I find is stressing me out... unneeded stress! Honestly, when your trying to input something and errors keep happening and you really don't have the time for this it's not a good thing.

BeeJiveIM
I've tried BeeJiveIM for the curve and must say it works awesome, plus with the use of the physical keyboard I can type really fast. Also it runs in the background and I get notifications instantly unlike the iphone version. With beejiveIM on the iphone, first of all I type very slow and 2nd of all sooo many errors are made when typing!! I don't know about any of you who have tried the iphone, but I find it stressful typing something on it when your trying to type fast... I have to keep using the back button or press the "X" to stop auto-correction... pain in ***!!!

Considering the keyboard on the iphone truly does bother me and not to mention the battery life on the iphone sucks!! I think for my uses, the blackberry curve would be the better phone. At least the curve can get me through 2 days on a full charge whereas the iphone is not even close to that.

I was going to get the blackberry BOLD, but I'm gonna save the money and use either my iphone or the curve. Next August, I'm do for a upgrade and will probably pick up a bold or something...

edit: I almost forgot, with the Iphone, the speaker truly sucks. I can hardly hear an email come in or a text, even when the speak is set to full. On the blackberry curve, this is COMPLETELY the opposite, the speaker is soooo good on this phone and loud, which is important. oo also, not to mention the blackberry has "push" email too where the iphone doesn't

What does everyone think?

Just to let everyone know I'm on ROGERS in Canada...

*****...and just to verify, I have the curve 8300, not the 8310 or 8320, etc.. so I can in fact upgrade the firmware and than my emails coming in will display in html like how they are displayed on the iphone??????????

Last edited by ibodybuild; 10-22-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
displacedtexan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: I like pencils
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Seems like any other comparison...

Make a pros and cons list and assign a weight to each item based on your needs/wants. Which items matter most to you? It really doesn't matter what we think is important if it doesn't jive with your needs/wants.
And we have a winner!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

You can download Opera Mini on your Curve. It is a little better of a browser than the stock one.