Old 10-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
bcinelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 24338892
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Fighting the Urge!

Please Login to Remove!

Well, i have converted about 10 of my friends over to the world of Blackberry and two girlfriends (one obviously an ex now). Right now I am currently running with the Curve 8320 (tmobile) with the most recent OS 4.5.0.81 with no problems at all.

Thing is I have been a blackberry user for about 4 years now, and now I have hit a crossroad. At my job, I get a mediocre signal (11th floor building NYC) but have a UMA wifi hookup. When I step outside full bar.

Now its all coming down to the 22nd. The new google phone comes out obviously. I love all the touch features and the seemless gmail interface (i use the gmail app for bb as well). I was just wondering should i stick with blackberry and just wait until they fire something out that is close to the G1 and iPhone, or convert to them? I know I'm obviously going to get a biased opinion but I rather hear it from the opinion of the people i respect (bb users).

Is tmobile featuring any good new berries that can beat G1 or iPhone?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Dunno about the newer blackberry as I'm still using a Pearl, but that G1 looks like a kid's toy to me. Not pretty at all.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

You will probably be big on the Storm. It's supposed to be a Verizon release though.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

T-Mobile is getting the KickStart isn't it? I'm not big on the whole flip phone so I'm not sure on all the details of it.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinelli View Post
I was just wondering should i stick with blackberry and just wait until they fire something out that is close to the G1 and iPhone, or convert to them?
It might help if you let us know what you think the BB could gain from the G1 and iPhone. Just a touchscreen or is there more to it than that?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

If you read up on BlackBerrynews.com, there's actually the Bold, KickStart, Storm and a newer Curve (Javelin) all due for release soon (<-- arranged in order AFAIK).

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
bcinelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
If you read up on BlackBerrynews.com, there's actually the Bold, KickStart, Storm and a newer Curve (Javelin) all due for release soon (<-- arranged in order AFAIK).

Good luck!
The Storm is going to Verizon though.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
bcinelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
It might help if you let us know what you think the BB could gain from the G1 and iPhone. Just a touchscreen or is there more to it than that?
well touchscreen for one is better. As for the media player it could use some big improvements. Navigating through music takes way to many clicks. Should be more simplified.

As for the way the player looks should be a little more updated. Looks like a bad WMP.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
The Storm is going to Verizon though.
So buy one through Rogers or Telus (I think) and unlock it. You will pay a premium for the device though. But if you have no reception at work shouldn't you consider another provider???? I would!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
bcinelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
So buy one through Rogers or Telus (I think) and unlock it. You will pay a premium for the device though. But if you have no reception at work shouldn't you consider another provider???? I would!
Well I'm also going for afford ability and a company that isn't going to rip you.

How can i find out who would have better service in my building?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Well I'm also going for afford ability and a company that isn't going to rip you.

How can i find out who would have better service in my building?
I understand on cost! Your best bet would be to ask co-workers if they have reception, how it is and who their carrier is.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Swerengen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

No matter what you do here it looks like change is in order. Either you will be changing hardware manufacturer, carrier or job (lol).

I would suggest asking co-workers who they are with and if they say Verizon and they have a good signal then your mind should be just about made up.

It sounds like you want nothing less than a touch screen device (and who could blame you) so that means Verizon and the Storm.

RIM is a solid company. I would not abandon them for one of the other "upstart" devices. I own many BlackBerry devices, an iPhone and a few others that do not pertain to this post. With the iPhone, I love it's organic look and feel. Navigating is effortless, but they have some issues with the 3G model that are frustrating to say the least.

As far as keeping a stable product on you at all times, I would have to side with RIM on this one.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
bcinelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerengen View Post
No matter what you do here it looks like change is in order. Either you will be changing hardware manufacturer, carrier or job (lol).

I would suggest asking co-workers who they are with and if they say Verizon and they have a good signal then your mind should be just about made up.

It sounds like you want nothing less than a touch screen device (and who could blame you) so that means Verizon and the Storm.

RIM is a solid company. I would not abandon them for one of the other "upstart" devices. I own many BlackBerry devices, an iPhone and a few others that do not pertain to this post. With the iPhone, I love it's organic look and feel. Navigating is effortless, but they have some issues with the 3G model that are frustrating to say the least.

As far as keeping a stable product on you at all times, I would have to side with RIM on this one.
Yeah, I'm holding off until January when my contract is up. I believe I'm going to stick with RIM wait out the holidays and see all the problems get fixed while I wait it out.

Just over the past 3 months seeing the cellphone market change DRAMATICALLY its hard to just sit and wait on your hands. lol. I'll just try really hard to not make a stupid impulse buy. Which occurs quite frequently with me.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:
I love all the touch features...
Quote:
As for the media player it could use some big improvements. Navigating through music takes way to many clicks...
You could consider buying a separate media player... I have the ipod touch which is identical to the iphone (minus the phone part) and its perfect for my needs. Just my opinion...

Last edited by olly666; 10-28-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

First, the G1 is a terrible disappointment. Check out the Howard Forums G1 Discussions and you'll see all the issues. I too was intrigued by Android, but the G1 is a poor implementation. You can't sync with Outlook, only Google services. Mail fails to even retrieve all too regularly. If you get an MMS you can't save the picture - simply no option to do this. How iPhone-like! And the keyboard is bloody awful. One guy over at HoFo started a thread about "what's your favorite feature of the G1?" and said his was the ringtone selection! The hottest new device to come out in years, hyped to the moon, and all he could praise it for was the ringtones?!?!

If you want to sample another system, something I do regularly, Windows Mobile has come a long way. A used Moto Q9h or even a Treo 750 can be had fairly cheap. Just pop your SIM card in and they'll use your current data plan. At least they do with AT&T. I've also had a long flirtation with Nokias, but the lack of Blackberry-quality messaging always keeps me coming back to RIM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
kspearl

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm thinking of picking up a Pearl flip pretty soon. Will T-Mobile get the Touch Screen Blackberry anytime soon?? THat would be sweet!
Closed Thread