Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
nwinesett

Model: 8100C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Missing "File Total" in Status; Moving files; media options

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I recently upgraded my ATT Pearl to OS 4.5.0.52. All has been going well for awhile now, but recently I have had some frequent bogging down (hourglass for 5-15 seconds). I believe it is a low memory issue. I have tried to follow some instructions in the various posts with some luck. Here is a recap:

I looked into options|status and "file free" read 0 bytes. I pulled the battery to reset, and when it returned I had about 5000000 bytes. I checked a few seconds later and I had about 6200000 bytes and then a few seconds later and I had about 3500000 bytes. Now I have 2556871 bytes.

Question 1: There is no "File Total" listed under status as I have read about in other posts. The only thing I can find is when I select menu|database sizes it list a "Total Size" of 10950.8K. Can someone advise me on how to find it?

I have enabled memory cleaning as instructed by another post.

I have a 1GB memory card that is barely used. Pictures are automatically saved to my device memory. My memory card has all of the appropriate media folders setup, but I cannot figure out an easy way to move all the pictures over other than to move them one at a time. There is no select all function and the shift|trackball does not allow me to select multiple files.

Question 2: Is there an easier way to move files directly on the BB?

Under Media Options I have "Device Memory Limit" set at 5mb. 12 and 15 mb is also available but I do not understand this option particularly considering I have 8.8mb used. Also there is a "Reserved Pictures Memory" set at 2mb, with a 0mb option.

Question 3: What should I set device memory limit and reserved pictures memory at? Is this just a "max" amount that these files will use of my total memory?

Thanks,

Nathan
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. ALT + Shift + H for File Total. Scroll down.
Memory cleaning will do nothing for a low memory issue, all it does is scrub the "deleted" space to a higher goernment standard.

2. Options > Media Card > Mass Storage Mode = enabled, you will be able to drag and drop your files to and from your Media Card <--> PC.

3. I set it low., It is a limit.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
nwinesett

Model: 8100C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks JSanders.

1. ALT=Shift+H worked, and my file total reads 63569920. I wonder why it didn't show up in options|status as others have reported. Anyway, now I can get it.

2. Mass Storage Mode is already turned on. I was able to move all of my pictures over at once through the desktop program's media manager. I am still wondering if you can move multiple files at once directly on the BB?

3. I am wondering if you set it at 15mb, that it just uses that memory (if available) to display thumbnails, and that after you close the media program, it is freed up for other applications. I am noticing slightly better performance when using the pictures program when it is set at 15 mb (namely how fast I can scroll through thumbnails). But it hasn't affected my free memory much.

Update: My main problem is resolved. When I upgraded, I had installed 5 foreign languanges. I removed those through the Application Loader of the Desktop Program and now I am running between 10mb and 15mb of free memory. Also, I figured out how to automatically save pictures to the media card through the options of the camera program (rather than media manager options). I set the reserved pictures memory to 0mb since I don't need it anymore. Now my BB is running good.

We can still get to the bottom of memory limit and moving of multiple files though.

Nathan
Closed Thread