Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
PMurray633
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 3049C9C6
Carrier: Verizon
Angry UGH SO ANNOYING! stupid reboots

Please Login to Remove!

Am I the only person that is having problems with the Storm rebooting? It is just sitting on my desk, as I type this, rebooting for NO reason, just was sitting there, and started to reboot, wtf?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
tduffy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I turned mine on last friday when I bought it and activated it on the BES and it hasn't been rebooted yet. Not by me or the phone itself. I don't anticipate rebooting until after the first released software update has finished installing.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Have you installed any software? if so, I'd recommend removing them and see if you have any more issues.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
PMurray633

Yeah, I removed Facebook and Google Maps, that is all I put on so far.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
wild satchmo

you are definitely not the only one, there are other threads on this. It is very frustrating. Actually, mine is in the process of rebooting itself right now, how nice!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Has this been occurring since you got it or it started sometime after? If sometime after, what changed? Did you do the business card trick in the battery compartment, if so, i'd recommend removing it and see if that resolves it. Check the battery contacts.

If anyone knows how to do a hard reset of the device, please chime in as I would then recommend that.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Jim2991

Carrier: VZN

Mine has turned off when slipped into the 8830 holster. I an not sure if the red button is getting pushed or if the magnet sets off a command to shut off.

I was driving along today and my Storm sitting on the car seat and noticed it rebooting.

I do the have the paper behind the battery, but it did it before I did that. No other apps running.

But, I still like it more each day. I even wiped my 8830 clean and will be handing it off to another in the company soon.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
wild satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmstrk9 View Post
Has this been occurring since you got it or it started sometime after? If sometime after, what changed? Did you do the business card trick in the battery compartment, if so, i'd recommend removing it and see if that resolves it. Check the battery contacts.

If anyone knows how to do a hard reset of the device, please chime in as I would then recommend that.
This issue has been recognized by Verizon / RIM and they are said to be releasing a patch that will fix this in the first week of Dec.:
Story or no story, the Verizon BlackBerry Storm OS has issues : Boy Genius Report
Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Don't use the "end" button to get out of a program Always hit menu, then close. 95% of the time, the reason most users experience reboots, is because they have every program running in the background, and the phone goes into crisis mode and reboots. To check if you have programs running, go to the main menu in landscape mode. Hold down the menu/ bbry button. Then go into all of your open programs and close them out properly. *note- not all programs will close, such as mail, browser, msgr.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
sizzle

Model: 9000
Carrier: can barely lift her.

My 9000 was just randomly rebooting, it was the themes that i installed, removed them and the reboots stopped.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

According to BGR, the first two updates.

Issues to be resolved by the first OTA update (Maintenance Release 1) - December, week 1:

* If a customer receives a call while listen to music at low volume using a wired headset, the music volume may suddenly increase to the highest level (!). Interim recovery instructions: Lower the volume using the buttons on the side of the handset.
* When using voice-activated dialing, incoming audio may be muted. Interim recovery instructions: Enter the menu and select “Activate Handset or Speaker”.
* The handset may reset itself while sitting idle or while using multimedia applications. No interim recovery instructions provided.

Issues to be resolved by a subsequent Maintenance Release:

* Customers may intermittently lose email connectivity via CDMA and/or international roaming modes. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio off, then Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
* When powering on the handset, the radio sometimes does not turn on. Interim recovery instructions: Main menu -> Manage Connections -> Select mobile network -> Turn radio on. If this does not resolve the issue, pull the battery.
* Pressing the send key while the device is in landscape mode will open the phone application in portrait mode, but the speed dial function may not work. Interim recovery instructions: Press escape until the home screen appears, then press the send key with the handset in portrait orientation.
* Sometimes entering characters on the virtual keyboard doesn’t work. Interim recovery instructions: Re-select the character.

Story or no story, the Verizon BlackBerry Storm OS has issues : Boy Genius Report
Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
PMurray633

Well I am glad that I am not the only one, I hope I didn't start a thread that has already more then 1 threat attributed to it... But yeah, I took the paper out from behind the battery, and still does it. So, I guess it is OS based, as long as RIM knows about it, and is working on it, then I am happy. Still love the Storm though.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ive gotten at least 3 WSOD w/ a reboot since I got mine Monday.

I think more frustrating to me is when it just locks up...

I've uninstalled most of the VZW garbage I don't intend to use (incl VZW Navigator). I haven't installed Google Maps yet, (have Blackberry Maps and it's working well w/ GPS).

The complete lack of most 3rd party apps is sort of appalling given the fact they've known about the release for a long time, maybe RIM drug their feet w/ giving out specs or something... but, I don't depend on any of them... and as far as games, I like Word Mole, so that'll hold my attention until I can get back Texas Hold 'em King 3...

But, I digress. Reboots suck. I think I only ever had 3 over the 2+ years w/ my 8703... and 3 in 2+ days on the storm isn't going to make me happy if it continues.

My biggest other beef is the time it takes to do a reboot... For crying out loud it's longer than my desktop, and it has to spin hard drives etc...

Last edited by Vertioch; 11-26-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
Laughinglarry

It's kinda funny to see the results of Googling "Blackberry Storm Reboot". Mine's been doing it daily (several times a day) since I picked it up on Friday. I got so fed up I called Tech Support, and they said they had never heard of the problem! So I've got a new one on the way. I don't know if I'll even TRY a new one, since this appears to be the endemic problem I called them to ASK about.

There's one other thing that's really concerning to me: Sync'ing the phone takes a LONG time (I literally timed it today - 6 minutes - ouch!). When I got my first BB 4 years ago, the sync was slow. Then the software changed, and things got WAY faster. Any word on this issue being addressed?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
StorminJo

Model: storm
Carrier: verizon

Mine kept getting hung on the Visual Voice - I must have kept bumping it.... anyway - I would get a message to save changes or cancel and it would just sit there.... until I rebooted.... So I hid the button for it. Hasn't happened since.

Wierd
Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
SGRacer

Not 1 single reboot except when required for updating.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
iwantanon

My Storm has this problem (freezes when screen blanks on idle; if plugged into AC charger, goes to clock and the problem does not occur). I have upgraded to v4.7.0.75 without fixing the problem

Mine did not have this problem prior to my office IT group activating it on the enterprise server and adding the RSA SecureID soft token progrm., Is it possibly related to either being on an ES (hence why some owners experience it and some don't) or to the SecureiD app (that I know is not certified for this OS)?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
KellyBerry2

I am updated to .75 as well, and mine continues to reboot - for no appearently reason, any time I get an incoming call when I am already on call, for kicks, etc. I have BES partially working but it rebooted before and after that. It does seem to be rebooting less after upgrading to .75, but it is still happening 4-6 times per day.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
FergyindaATL

Carrier: ATT

I've had the same problem since Day 1. Seems to be more pronounced when the battery is at 50% or less. I upgraded to .75 last week and didn't help a bit.

Verizon is sending me a new Storm that was supposed to be here last Friday but didn't ship unitl Monday. It is scheduled to arrive today and I'll see how it works. This seems to be a common issue but certinainly not on all of the devices. I'm thinking they had a bad lot of Storms with some electrical issue in it.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
iwantanon

Question New Storm on the way

I followed the advice off another forum and backed up the device then wiped the memory. Even in advance of restoring the device (and prior to reactivating the enterprise server) the problem was as bad or worse -- freezes then reboots every time the screen fades to save power. Restoring the device made no difference (no surprise there).

Went to the Verizon store and they bent over backward to get me another one once they saw the problem in action and understood that I had updated the firmware to '.75. The new one will be shipped in a couple of days and they let me keep the old one (as would be standard for a 30-day satisfaction issue -- the route I took to guarantee a new device rather than one that's already been returned/refurbished). There's also no need to pay for a new device then look for a refund on return of the old one; they'll be providing some sort of return shipping materials. They explained tom me that there's a special program to enable this process, so I infer they're getting a lot of returns for this issue and are trying to mitigate the PR damage.

For now, though, it's ack to my old 8703. My fingers are crossed that the new Storm will not exhibit this problem, and I'll post again when I know.
Closed Thread