Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
MLP141
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm Sync with Mac

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I am a complete BB newbie and have been poking around here for a week or so.

I got my Storm today (woohoo). I am a Mac user. I downloaded PocketMac and the updated drivers package. Installed and rebooted my Mac.

Now, when I plug the USB into the Storm nothing happens. I then open PocketMac and click Sync and get this error message:

[07:19:47.144] Unable to connect to BlackBerry (error 1); skipping.

Any ideas?

Also, should I see the Storm appear on my Desktop?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
bloggs96

Model: 9500
PIN: 1234
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I am having the exact same problem!

using a UK 9500 vodafone.. both the pocket mac and driver update, using OSX 10.5.5 Leopard
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Tiamegs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

One thing to check is your Mass Storage Mode. I am not positive, but I think it needs to be off to sync with the Mac. Go into your home screen/options/memory/mass storage support and see if it is off. I had mine on, and nothing would sync. A soon as I turned it off, it worked.

I use MarkSpace Missing Sync. You have to pay for it, but it works well. I used pocketmac with my BB Pearl, and had nothing but issues. Missing Sync has worked well with my storm. They also have good technical support on the website- Anytime I had a question I went to their troubleshooting and I always found and answer and solution.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Asianiota

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

That's odd because on mine I have to make sure the mass storage mode is on to allow it to sync. There is another sync software you can download that isnt free but i hear it works a lot better. Will get back with the name and where to buy. I think you can get it from Handago
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Asianiota

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LOL. I guess if I would have read the previous thread all the way through, I would have found the name I was looking for.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
deathbyart
Thumbs Must Hurt

PocketMac works great for me, although I use it for is Contacts. I also had a hard time at first due to not knowing about the "mass storage" feature...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
dac00160

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyart View Post
PocketMac works great for me, although I use it for is Contacts. I also had a hard time at first due to not knowing about the "mass storage" feature...

So, is Mass storage "on" or "off" when you trying to Sync to a MAC??
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
MLP141

Well, I tried both and neither worked for me. Other ideas?

Is the Missing Sync worth the $40?

Last edited by MLP141; 12-04-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
CarterTan

Model: 9000
PIN: 20959bbb
Carrier: M1

Did you delete the BlackBerry.kext and BlackBerryUSB.kext before you have installed the updated drivers? you need to perform that before you install the driver update. Furthermore, disable the MTP (music transfer protocol) in the Options > Memory.

Please refer to BlackBerry Technical Solutions

Article ID: KB15429
Article Title: Error1; (skipping)

Go to blackberry technical solutions center and type in the article number as stated above, you should be able to find the article.

MCSE, MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator, MCITP Enterprise Administrator
Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP141 View Post
OK, I am a complete BB newbie and have been poking around here for a week or so.

I got my Storm today (woohoo). I am a Mac user. I downloaded PocketMac and the updated drivers package. Installed and rebooted my Mac.

Now, when I plug the USB into the Storm nothing happens. I then open PocketMac and click Sync and get this error message:

Any ideas?

just curious, your a mac user - why didnt you get iphone?

im a mac user with a bb storm as well
Old 12-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
deathbyart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac00160 View Post
So, is Mass storage "on" or "off" when you trying to Sync to a MAC??
I have it prompt me to ask, then I turn it "on".
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
MLP141

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSlap View Post
just curious, your a mac user - why didnt you get iphone?

im a mac user with a bb storm as well
I am a Verizon user for a number of reasons and am basically "stuck" with them. Since I can't switch providers (and cannot unlock an iPhone to work on Verizon) I got the next best thing.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
MLP141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterTan View Post
Did you delete the BlackBerry.kext and BlackBerryUSB.kext before you have installed the updated drivers? you need to perform that before you install the driver update. Furthermore, disable the MTP (music transfer protocol) in the Options > Memory.

Please refer to BlackBerry Technical Solutions

Article ID: KB15429
Article Title: Error1; (skipping)

Go to blackberry technical solutions center and type in the article number as stated above, you should be able to find the article.
I did not remove those files. I will try that tonight and then re-install the updated drivers.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:

Any ideas?

I have the same exact issue going and it really sucks because I have to write down my important contacts from my "Entourage" in my Mac. I actually already spent a couple hours on the phone first with Verizon tech support then they transferred me to BlackBerry tech support because at Verizon they have limited support if you have a Mac. Anyway, with BB tech support we tried all kinds of things like uninstalled "Pocket Mac" and installed the new version with updated drivers and deleted "BlackBerry.kext and BlackBerryUSB.kext" files and even changed some settings on my Storm like what others are talking about with the "Mass Storage mode" which is currently in the "on" position. Well, after all this there was still NOTHING! Still got the same original error message. We looked at the OS on my Mac and it's a little old I'm pretty sure I have 10.4.11 (not sure,I'm at work now). Anyway he said that maybe it's because I have a older OS version and need to upgrade it. I have a open case # with BB tech support so I will try to give them a call tonight, they said they are going to walk me through my Pocket Mac software I have and look at the script or code of it to see where the error is exactly.

I'll post back again here once I make some progress.....In the mean time good luck to those who are having this same problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
hchon

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
I got my Storm today (woohoo). I am a Mac user.
if you are trying to sync contacts and appointments, use google mobile sync. ( i am not sure if it works with storm but it works on my 8830 and my wife's 8330.)

first let your mac addressbook and ical sync with the google calendar and google contact and then let your BB sync with tht google calendar and contact. once you set them up to sync, it automatically syncs the contact and calendar going forward.

-hchon

Last edited by hchon; 12-04-2008 at 04:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Read the Missing Sync forums before you make a purchase from them. I bought their software and tried to use it on my Bold. Was unsuccessful and dismayed to see they had a problem report on their site from 11/20 suggesting the workaround was not to enter any contact data on the Bold.

Buyer beware.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
Tiamegs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Missing Sync usually figures out issues relatively quickly I have found. I used it with both Windows Mobile and Blackberry. I tried PocketMac, and it continually caused my BB Pearl to freeze up. It also would not sync tasks. It would work for awhile, and then not work. I finally went back to Missing Sync, and have continued to have success. The only thing I cannot do is sync music through their itunes folder, but I just put that directly on the memory card. Might be worth seeing if they have a trial, or a return policy if it does not work.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
MLP141

I got it to sync using PocketMac. I turned off both the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and the Mass Storage Mode Support. I did not have to delete the BlackBerry.kext and BlackBerryUSB.kext stuff.

But, what the hell is the MTP? What is the Mass Storage Mode Support? Should I turn these back to ON now that I have successfully synched?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
mrfizzed
Thumbs Must Hurt

where do i get the updatted drivers and which version of Pocketmac are you using?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #20
MLP141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post
where do i get the updatted drivers and which version of Pocketmac are you using?
I have the latest version. I got it here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac
Closed Thread