Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
randrew20

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Gmail App notification

Please Login to Remove!

I am wondering if there is a way to have the gmail app put a notification at the top of the blackberry to let you know how many new emails you have. The phone will tell you how many missed calls and BIS will tell you how many emails, the calendar will tell you reminders but i cant seem to figure out how to turn it on on the gmail app. Now that im thinking about it i dont think it works for the visual voice mail either. This is nice to have so that you dont have to unlock the phone to check if there are any new items.

Last edited by randrew20; 12-10-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
randrew20

Model: Storm

Anyone know if this can be done... this is a much needed feature for this app.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
strogonowski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

If you setup your Gmail thru BIS you will get notifications (msg count). Don't think there is an option in the application itself. Only options with the app are: sound and red light.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by strogonowski View Post
If you setup your Gmail thru BIS you will get notifications (msg count). Don't think there is an option in the application itself. Only options with the app are: sound and red light.
I agree, you should set up your Gmail account using IMAP. I have the Gmail app, but don't use it because I have both my Gmail accounts set up this way.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
bbaler4444
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: 30B6A0A6
Carrier: verizon

The other problem with the Gmail App is there is a delay of up to 20 min in receiving new emails. What I have done is set up my Gmail acct. through IMAP on the BB and also downloaded the Gmail App. Just turn the "new message" indicator to off in the Gmail App and your new messages will ding your BB through IMAP and you always have the App available to access old email and labels, etc... that are no longer saved on your BB.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
cabll88
Knows Where the Search Button Is

BIS setup for email, which will give you instant notification of when u get a new mail and how many unread messages u have. there is no need for IMAP configuration.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
hudres

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb GMail thru BIS

Don't waste your time with the GMail app. I have a bunch of GMail accounts all of which I receive using BIS. They come up as messages, the same as any other e-mail. As has been stated by others, the delivery is almost instantaneous. Don't get suckered by "Technology for technology's sake". 73
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
ncs225

Model: 9350

I noticed I don't get BIS notifications for my gmail accounts since using the Gmail App. However I love that I can access most functions via the App that aren't available thru BIS. I never had any sound customization issues with this App on my Pearl, however, I can't seem to customize the notification ding on the Storm...the Gmail app isn't listed on Sounds>Set Ring Tones/Alerts>Messages. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
One Bold User

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I don't understand why the gmail app is used? Why not just use the integrated mail client?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
ncs225

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Bold User View Post
I don't understand why the gmail app is used? Why not just use the integrated mail client?
The app allows for more Gmail functions that BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) doesn't provide, such as labels, access to your contacts, archiving, adding stars, report as Spam, multiple gmail accts under one app, and searching all emails based on starred, sent, etc.

Overall, its just like the full web-based version but mobile. HOWEVER, since my switch from Pearl to Storm, I have noticed that on the Storm, I am UNABLE to customize the "ding" sound, I don't get the icon notification of new email and when I disable the compatibility mode for the app (in order to enable the landscape-portrait display switch) I lose touch scrolling capacity. To be said, RIM needs to update the app for the Storm ASAP 'cause it was perfect on the Pearl.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

The app isn't made by RIM, it's made by Google. The Google support/google apps forums are full of this same question. I'm sure they will update it for the storm soon.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
ncs225

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_5 View Post
The app isn't made by RIM, it's made by Google. The Google support/google apps forums are full of this same question. I'm sure they will update it for the storm soon.
Thanks for the correction. I am losing track on which apps are made by who with as many as there are these days.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncs225 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I am losing track on which apps are made by who with as many as there are these days.
Ha, I know exactly what you mean.

I just searched the Google Support forums, I couldn't find anything that said if/when they would address the issues for the Gmail app. I hope its soon!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
hudres

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncs225 View Post
I have noticed that on the Storm, I am UNABLE to customize the "ding" sound, I don't get the icon notification of new email and when I disable the compatibility mode for the app (in order to enable the landscape-portrait display switch)
The inability to customize the "ding" is on the list of things to be fixed in the near future by RIM. Once that is fixed, it will resolve your problems. You won't need the compatibility mode and all the Storm features will be functional. Then, all you would need to do is import you contact list to the Storm. I have several GMail accounts and I use the Storm e-mail client and am quite satisfied. Hope this helps. 73
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
cjhp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

ncs225,
Not positive that this is what you are looking for but try and let me know if it works for you. On the storm home screen click on the speaker at the top left to open the Sound Profiles window. Scroll to the bottom and select Set Ring Tones/Alerts. Then click on Other to expand this selection. Then you can click on Gmail - new mail and select the tone here. I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Another thing I did to use the app was completely remove the gmail app and reinstall. I am now running the app and it is version 2.0.7.1264. I am not sure how long you have the storm but when I first received mine I installed the gmail app and it was a previous version. This version has been out for about 3 weeks but definitely works better. Still has some issues on the storm.

As for other reason to use the gmail app over BIS I like to keep my personal stuff separate on my BB from my work stuff. But a big benefit to using the BIS over the app is that you get full HTML support. I am hoping that the updated gmail app will add this...

Good luck!
J...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
ncs225

Hi J,

Thanks for the info, but by the time I got your post, I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app and CHA CHING it chimed everytime - just no icon like the others...but I'll take the DING over nothing at all!

Thanks again,
NCS
Old 01-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
bravacentauri83

Model: 9550

I dislike how I can only view attachments and not download them. For example, It turns graphic PDFs into mere text. Also, it only allows me to view the pdf and not download it.
Closed Thread