Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
freakster

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telenor
Default help!! 8320 OS deleted..

Please Login to Remove!

guyz this is urgent and i need to fix my curve 8320... i was upgrading my blackberry device OS from v4.2 to v4.5... and while upgrading something went wrong and i don think the blackerry now has an OS... it shows a white screen with a small round symbol with a cross...maybe showing therez is an application missing so i am guessing no OS... please help wat procedure should i do to restore my phone..thanks....
Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Try this: How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

Then this: What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ

And breathe
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
nargent

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

I am actually a little relieved to fing this problem has happened to others. A few days ago I updated my desktop manager to v4.7. I had no problems until I updated the BB software from the desktop manager. After a few minutes, the desktop gave the message:

"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device software. Please try again"

The BB screen shows a circle containing a box containing a circle, square and triangle. Under the big circle, the number 507 is present in very small writing. The device does not responsd to anything, including trying to turn it off. I have removed and replaced the battery several times: on reinsertion, I get the red LED for a few seconds, then the hourglass for another 4 or 5 seconds, then back to the circle, square triangle thing again. The device will not connect to the PC.

I downloaded Jl Cmder, but it does not run, possibly because I am running Vista 64 bit.

I am getting a little frazzled. Any additional suggestions will be gratefully received.

Last edited by nargent; 12-19-2008 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Additional info in post
Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Nothing is wrong now and you don't need Jl_cmdr! 507 means it's waiting for the OS to load! Just connect and hit the application loader. If you have the right OS installed on your PC and have deleted the vendor.xml file it should start loading.

For more detail see:

How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Good luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
nargent

Thank you Thatzmister. I have tried to do as you suggested but no luck - "The device loader is unable to connect to the device. You may need to enter the password on the device"

I'll go over again the sequence that led to this:

Everything was working fine until I attempted to update various pieces of device software. This was suggested by the updated Desktop Manager (v.4.7). I backed up the device using the Desktop Manager and then updated the device software. All appeared to ge well until the update was finished, when I got the message "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

Unfortunately the device now does not connect to the desktop. I have removed and replaced the battery with no luck.Sometimes I get this message from the desktop: "The desktop is unable to connect to the device. You may need to enter the password on the device"

When connecting to the desktop, the screen looks as though it is connecting to the device, but it doesn't. The device screen always has the circle containing circle, square and triangle with 507 at the bottom as noted in my first post.

The device does not do anything besides display the error message. No keys work, I cannot switch it off, and multiple hard resets have no effect. Removing and replacing the USB cable has no effect at all, whether connected or not. I had to remove the battery last night as I could not close down the device.

The only softeware that has changed is the update to the desktop manager v4.7), which was downloaded and installed with no difficulties. I was able to synch the device with the desktop after the upgrade. It all seems to have started with the attempt to update the device software. I have also reinstalled the previous desktop manager, but the device remains unresponsive with that too.

I apologise for the long winded post, but I am quite worried that the device itself is kaput, and I would prefer not to have to replace it.

Even though the desktop manager appears to go through the correct sequences, the device does not connebt - ie the desktop manager never 'sees' the device. It will spend about a minute "connecting to device", but can't

Last edited by nargent; 12-20-2008 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Additional info at the end of the post
Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
scorpius
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: The Donkey
Carrier: Vodafone

I think that the device still remember it's old password. Even with a 507 it stays on it. When you connect the device with the USB to the DTM you should see a popup with a request to enter the password.

Enter your previous password and it should work.

Last edited by scorpius; 12-20-2008 at 01:41 PM..
Old 12-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
nargent

Thanks Scorpius. I did that earlier with no result. It is possible but unlikely, that I have the password wrong (I haven't needed it since first setting up over a year ago). Is there a way to avoid needing a password altogether?

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop and device manager software as well. The device appears to be invisible to the desktop - looking at My Computer, an F drive is presented, but contains nothing - "Please insert a disk" etc.

One curious thing that I have just noticed: after the desktop has finished trying to connect to the device, I get the message "The desktop loader is unable to connect to the device. You may need to enter the password on the device" Retrying has the same result. If I cancel, the desktop manager displays the "A fatal error occurred...". When I go back to the main menu on the manager, the device, for about 8 seconds, displays the icon for synchronisation, and then reverts to the 507 icon again.

Any more suggestions? Anyone?

Last edited by nargent; 12-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Rewording
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nargent View Post
Thanks Scorpius. I did that earlier with no result. It is possible but unlikely, that I have the password wrong (I haven't needed it since first setting up over a year ago). Is there a way to avoid needing a password altogether?...
This sounds odd. The password should be the one you use every day to unlock the device. Did you set a password then turn off the password in security options?

The 507 error just means there's on OS on the device. If you load the OS it should be fine. Instead of using DM, try using loader.exe to install the OS. One of the stickies up top describes that method rathre than using DM. Actually in the new OS steps, it has been changed from the DM method so check those.

Edit: Here's the loader step:

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file

Also consider going to DM 4.6. I had a lot of problems with 4.7. It kept trying to change the OS even though the same one was already on there, and it showed 2 different OS available in the OS for updating even though there was only installed on the PC.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 12-20-2008 at 04:20 PM..
Old 12-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
scorpius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not really sure but:
After you've installed DTM and the Device OS.
In a command prompt go to "c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader" delete the vendor.xml and run the command "loader /nojvm" and follow the on screen directions.

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't help. The issue is with accessing the device. Your F drive is probably the SD card. Does DTM display the PIN number?
Old 12-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
scorpius
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree with you Monkeypaw. It is odd but if I understood Nargent he only needed to use it once. Then either he has disabled the password a year ago or something else is wrong.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
nargent

That's correct Scorpius. I am pretty sure I disabled the p/w when I first used the device - I have not used a password to access the device since then.

I am about to try the loader.exe route. Watch this space...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
nargent

I have my Blackberry back!

I wish I could say for certain exactly what I did to get it going again; I went round and round in circles trying out all of the suggestions and eventually, it worked.

Its not quite as it was before. Some of the data that was backed up at the beginning of this saga has (temporarily I hope) gone missing, but there is nothing irretrievable as far as I can see.

Thanks very much to all who helped.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
scorpius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Look in my documents for a IPD file with the current date in the name. That should be the backup file.

Glad you have your BB back.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
atxboost
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

When I did it, It "loaded" for about 30 min, i thought i messed up...do you think if you had let it sit longer it may have finished? I know it looks scary b/c its white and has a cross that sits there. every so often it turns a bit.

Just my observation that it takes a about an hour if you do the full whipe and reload on mine.

Thanks for all the help I get here!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
scorpius
Thumbs Must Hurt

A new installation or update always take a long time. Just be patient.