BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
alex_alex

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default Faint HTML text & hard to *grab* without activating side hotkey

Please Login to Remove!

Gave up my curve and I've had my Bold for about 2 weeks now ...

Two VERY annoying issues I've found are:
(1) Faint text is a pain-in-the butt to read ... And to half to activate the *plain text* option on nearly every email in order to read is silly. I really hope the next OS addresses this!

(2) I find it near impossible to grab the unit without activating the left hotkey. Doesn't matter if I pull it out of the holster, or, I pick it up off a table. After 2 weeks of use, I still activate the side hotkey 60-70% of the time I pick it up. I seem to be getting very fast at getting back to the home screen, which is a really sad fix ...

These 2 issues are annoying the heck out of me. So much so that I might go back to my curve. I went into the bold knowing that I'd have to deal with the larger size (which BTW is also a pain - I find the holster on my belt is VERY noticeably bulkier), but never expected this.

Anyone have comments to my issues?

Tks,
Alex
Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
revolutiongto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

As to the hotkey issue, you could always just disable the left side hotkey. Most of the time I have nothing assigned to the hotkeys at all.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
jimmyh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Smile

For your first question: I changed fonts. I now use BBAlpha Sans, set on 9 and bold. Works and looks great.

For you second question: I finally quite using both hotkeys. There are so many short cuts on the key board I hardly ever use the hot keys anyway. It is a shame to have such a nice phone and not be able to utilize it to its fullest though.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
alex_alex

I'm using OS v4.6.0.201 - I don't see BBAlpha Sans? Is it an OS feature I'm missing?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
ChestR_MolestR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

The side keys can be annoying but nowhere near enough to overshadow such a great phone. Like previously mentioned you can leave them blank.
as for the fuzzy text just make the font bigger and browse in column view.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
alex_alex

Default Moved to the 8900/Javelin

Just as an update -

After a couple of weeks of playing around with the Bold, I got rid of it and went for an 8900/Javelin. Summary of why (perhaps I can help others who would be considering either a Javelin or Bold):

- After coming from a Curve, I couldn't deal with the size of the Bold (too bulky on my belt, too big in my hand while doing things that I shouldn't - like typing while I drive)

- The side hotkeys (which I've come to depend on from using the cure) were useless on the Bold (had to disable them so not to engage whenever I grabbed the unit)

- Using Rogers, I fail to see the pros of 3G over the cons of the battery drain (with the exception of getting a signal in underground parking - which is cool, but not all that important for me).

I think the Bold is an excellent unit for those that might be moving to BB for the first time, or, are coming from an 8700. And, those who want to use the device for media more so than I do (which I really don't) would probably prefer the size of the Bold more so than the Javelin.

Now that I have my Javelin, the love affair with my Blackberry is back on!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
rdrakea
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I typically don't chime in on this sort of stuff, but I agree about the side keys on the Bold. Now, it may be more a case issue...I'm not 100% certain, but I have to consciously think about NOT pressing the right (camera) button when I take it out of the case. And even then I'm not always successful. I can't figure out why it is placed so low down. My only "gripe" with the phone.