Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default help! .85 phone issue...help!

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded to the new .85, and now I can not use the phone. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what to do. Everthing else seems to be working fine. I cannot hear them nor can they hear me. Thanks

I have done several battery pulls, and connected it back to my laptop and ran dm again, still nothing. When you make a call the on of the soft keys are locked and says handset and will not do anything else. The mute keys and everthing else is working.

Going back to .75!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bskarpa; 12-28-2008 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
gecko215
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Vzw and ATT-Bis

Assuming that the phone was o'k prior to the upgrade, I would do a complete wipe with Jl_Cmndr and reinstall the .85 again.

Had .75, upgrade to .76, then .83, dump .83 and back to .76 and finally upgrade to .85
Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskarpa
I just upgraded to the new .85, and now I can not use the phone. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what to do. Everthing else seems to be working fine. I cannot hear them nor can they hear me. Thanks

I have done several battery pulls, and connected it back to my laptop and ran dm again, still nothing. When you make a call the on of the soft keys are locked and says handset and will not do anything else. The mute keys and everthing else is working.

My wifes 9530 is working done on .85 and come Monday mine is next since I'm on a BES.

Last edited by kurrupt_1; 12-28-2008 at 02:43 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the help, but I've tried the wipe, and still phone is not working. .85 is still showing up for the os trying something else. I'm not sure what happend, but everthing else is working great except the phone. Trying to get it to go back to .75, I need my phone! I use it for work aswell as personal, and If there is a problem in the field I have to answer it!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I'm confused about what you need now.

Are you trying to downgrade the device back to .75? Then you must UNinstall the newer OS upgrades. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, and remove the newer OS.

Then, make sure you still have 75 installed and run loader.exe again.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, that way it wont see it, duh! guess trying to hurry up and freaking out a little. Thanks. Makes more sense
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

what way won't see it?

If you post some detail and be a little less vague, we might be able to help you.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
slugzkea

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Protection Services Officer

You obviously flashed incorrectly. Fallow these steps:

1. Charge battery to 100% using the wall charger
2. remove the SD memory card
3. backup your stuff if you need to.
4. close desktop manager and device manager
5. Do a clean whipe
6. delete the vendor.xml file
7. use apploader to install the firmware.
8. do a soft reset after firmware installation.

it could also be a bad download. try re-downloading the .85 package.

And it could also just be the firmware, .85 is beta, and it's still unstable. Don't expect something to be fully functional in the beta stages.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

This confirms my opinion of Beta versions. .65 was a dog but I resisted the urge to load Beta versions and patiently waited for .75. I installed it wirelessly and all is well.

Now there are all these newer Betas and everyone is scrambling to install them into their Verizon Storms. Not wise AT ALL. These versions are not stable and this is why they are called "Beta" versions. Don't be foolish enough to install these versions in your VZW phones. Once you do your unit may NEVER run well again, even after a factory wipe.

There are numerous horror stories on here. Learn from the mistakes of others. .75 has minor issues but there will be another version out soon enough. Just tough it out and remember that a working model with slight flaws is better than a model that is not even allowing basic functions to operate at an acceptable level.

Just my 2 cents.

Verizon 9530
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Slugzkea,

I will try to re-download the .85. I have tried a couple of times to reinstall it, but not luck. Every time the phone will not work at all, well it will call just can't hear anything. I think one thing that I did do wrong was didn't delete vendor. oops well i'm new to the whole blackberry biz and learning alot from yall. Thanks again for yalls help i have downgraded to .75 and phone is working again with the exception that my browser is gone.....should have left well enough alone.

lol. wow my browser just showed back up. Yall can close this if yall would like.

Last edited by bskarpa; 12-28-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: issue resolved
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Use the direction in ANY of the sticky notes at the top of the device specific forums to use LOADER.exe.

You don't need to use Desktop Manager to upgrade, that just seems to complicate matters.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
This confirms my opinion of Beta versions. .65 was a dog but I resisted the urge to load Beta versions and patiently waited for .75. I installed it wirelessly and all is well.

Now there are all these newer Betas and everyone is scrambling to install them into their Verizon Storms. Not wise AT ALL. These versions are not stable and this is why they are called "Beta" versions. Don't be foolish enough to install these versions in your VZW phones. Once you do your unit may NEVER run well again, even after a factory wipe.

There are numerous horror stories on here. Learn from the mistakes of others. .75 has minor issues but there will be another version out soon enough. Just tough it out and remember that a working model with slight flaws is better than a model that is not even allowing basic functions to operate at an acceptable level.

Just my 2 cents.
I do agree, I was doing some research and found some did have trouble, others did not. So I just took a shot at it. Learned my lesson....lol .75 works fine for me for now. Just figured Id give it a shot.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
slugzkea

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Protection Services Officer
Exclamation going back to .76

i'm going back to .76

.85 is too unstable. It almost feels like they overclocked the intel chip on it because it runs so much faster, kills battery, and heats up like a hot potato!

I recommend that people stay away from .85. it's nothing like .83

.83's battery life was exceptional and was pretty stable other than media playing, buggy as hell.

.85 is just a mess. it gives you a sneak at what the storm is truly capable of, but the software is not ready for the device yet.

give it time, and i think it just might become the "iPhone Killer" :P
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskarpa View Post

Did you try doing "*228, 1". It sounds like you didn't activate after install which is necessary. 73
Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Did you try doing "*228, 1". It sounds like you didn't activate after install which is necessary. 73
well there is another issue all in its self. I'm not in verizons coverage, and it's pulling off of us cellular. I have to drive like 2hrs to get back into verizon.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

Quote:
well there is another issue all in its self. I'm not in verizons coverage, and it's pulling off of us cellular. I have to drive like 2hrs to get back into verizon.
That could be a problem regardless of the Phone you are using.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
That could be a problem regardless of the Phone you are using.
yea, bad luck i guess. When i first got my storm, my girlfriend picked it back down home then brought it to me. I had it for 2 days before I could get into verizon's coverage and it wouldn't do much but make phone calls. Once I got into verizon's coverage everthing was working. I have a question about the storm not seeing my bose headphones, should that be a new post or can ya help me. Since I tried the .85, I have had several issues. Wish i wouldn't have done it now.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #18
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

Quote:
yea, bad luck i guess. When i first got my storm, my girlfriend picked it back down home then brought it to me. I had it for 2 days before I could get into verizon's coverage and it wouldn't do much but make phone calls. Once I got into verizon's coverage everthing was working. I have a question about the storm not seeing my bose headphones, should that be a new post or can ya help me. Since I tried the .85, I have had several issues. Wish i wouldn't have done it now.
You could always downgrade back to .75

Try this link:

How do I downgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Exclamation

Quote:

Take the drive. Sorry. Activation is absolutely essential to eliminate before further troubleshooting. Must be done with every upgrade. 73
Closed Thread