Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #141
xion
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bc04e7
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

YouTube video choppy. The iDEN network will get avg data download rates between 19.2 and 60 kbps. So it is not enough to keep the video to play between buffering. The only way to utilize YouTube is via WiFi.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #142
xion

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bc04e7
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

OK, I have to throw a couple comments onto this. To add to the Pro-List.

To preface, Nextel was NOT purchased by Sprint. With the stock option exchange and the board and co-leadership and dual headquarter arrangement in 2005, it was a merger of equals. Second of all, the two networks serve different purposes. The Sprint side is the best for Speed (gizmo report) and coverage (JDPowers) in the nation. However The iDEN network is the best in the nation for lack of dropped calls and security. Also the CDMA version of the curve will NOT send Picture mail as MMS ONLY through email. The iDEN version, in most cases, will deliver as SMS or MMS even though you are sending as MMS. Also the CDMA version 8330 has 96M where the iDEN version has 128M. It is the most capable Blackberry on the Sprint company phone line up (for now). It is unfortunate that the holiday traffic has caused a back order of the handset and (if you have access to internal systems) a partial national outage of the MMS network on the iDEN side. I feel the end users overall perception of the handset will be better metered after it is retail released, slated for January 11th. Also the iDEN network is MORE secure than the CDMA network since the system is 128bit SSL Tripple DES secured. The radio that does not need to go through land line is more dependable than phone communication. And in case of emergency it is the only voice service that can prioritize the traffic. Hens why so many 1st responders use it. The value of the iDEN network has recently been reaffirmed by the October announcement by Dan Hesse that Sprint will not be selling the iDEN system and would be bolstering the network and releasing 9 new handsets over the next few months. The BB 8350i is the first of the new handsets. All in all, the iDEN network is wonderful and worth investing in. I for one, am excited that Sprint chose to launch its most advance Blackberry on its most secure network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC22 View Post
PS - do any of you ever check out PhoneScoop.com? I really wish I could've read this guy's review of the phone before going through this mess:

Please read Nextel perps

by finishahead9

In response to one user's review that quotes that Sprint is the fastest data network in the nation (true) but the nextel blakcberry is slow, you may want to realize that Sprint may own Nextel and have the billing, customer service and everything else the same but the service will never be fully integrated. This also applies to data service. (why else would they put wi-fi on the phone, you don't need it with CDMA). Nextel being the only IDEN network in the nation has no roaming partners, slow data speeds, and a terrible calling area. Switch to the Sprint side and watch your phone come alive. Oh, and I work for Sprint and I'm telling you Nextel sucks.

PROS
1. Direct Connect
2. A new blackberry besides the 7100 on nextel
3. TBD (if anything)

CONS
1. Nextel service area
2. data speeds
3. texting with Nextel

Overall, a good concept, but with an outdated network that makes Sprint look bad. Do not buy this phone or any other nextel phone if you are a consumer. BTW, my review is based mostly on the fat that the phone won't perform like it has the potential based on the network. (kind of like iPhone)
Old 01-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #143
BJC22

Model: 8350i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xion View Post
OK, I have to throw a couple comments onto this. To add to the Pro-List.

To preface, Nextel was NOT purchased by Sprint. With the stock option exchange and the board and co-leadership and dual headquarter arrangement in 2005, it was a merger of equals. Second of all, the two networks serve different purposes. The Sprint side is the best for Speed (gizmo report) and coverage (JDPowers) in the nation. However The iDEN network is the best in the nation for lack of dropped calls and security. Also the CDMA version of the curve will NOT send Picture mail as MMS ONLY through email. The iDEN version, in most cases, will deliver as SMS or MMS even though you are sending as MMS. Also the CDMA version 8330 has 96M where the iDEN version has 128M. It is the most capable Blackberry on the Sprint company phone line up (for now). It is unfortunate that the holiday traffic has caused a back order of the handset and (if you have access to internal systems) a partial national outage of the MMS network on the iDEN side. I feel the end users overall perception of the handset will be better metered after it is retail released, slated for January 11th. Also the iDEN network is MORE secure than the CDMA network since the system is 128bit SSL Tripple DES secured. The radio that does not need to go through land line is more dependable than phone communication. And in case of emergency it is the only voice service that can prioritize the traffic. Hens why so many 1st responders use it. The value of the iDEN network has recently been reaffirmed by the October announcement by Dan Hesse that Sprint will not be selling the iDEN system and would be bolstering the network and releasing 9 new handsets over the next few months. The BB 8350i is the first of the new handsets. All in all, the iDEN network is wonderful and worth investing in. I for one, am excited that Sprint chose to launch its most advance Blackberry on its most secure network.
Whatever this guy's smoking on New Year's Day, I'd like some please!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #144
nicholaaaas
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 4025DF23
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
anybody have the link to Opera mini . I wonder if there are any memory hogging issues like was first reported in the last version?
Opera Mini sucks... stick with the default browser
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #145
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?

Ok, still getting a dead berry once a day. Anybody have issues with the following software.
Facebook
Crackberry icon
Blackberry icon
Google talk
yahoo IM
Flickr
vib and ring
google app
google maps
beyond 411
twitter
flycast
gmail app.
TV Guide app

or is there any other way to stop the dead berry. I just pick it up and its dead nothing will wake it up but a reset. aghhhh. I am assuming its a 3rd party software issue as I haven't heard about issues from anyone else.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #146
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

My trackball doesn't want to scroll down. That just started yesterday and is bugging me.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #147
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts

Quote:
Ok, still getting a dead berry once a day. Anybody have issues with the following software.
Facebook
Crackberry icon
Blackberry icon
Google talk
yahoo IM
Flickr
vib and ring
google app
google maps
beyond 411
twitter
flycast
gmail app.
TV Guide app

or is there any other way to stop the dead berry. I just pick it up and its dead nothing will wake it up but a reset. aghhhh. I am assuming its a 3rd party software issue as I haven't heard about issues from anyone else.
I found the TV Guide app to be buggy on my 8330 so I got rid of it. It wasn't killing my Curve though. It just flat out wouldn't work.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #148
dm65

Default 8350i SMS/MMS messaging question...

I have read through the various posts, and while they are all similar, the problem I am having with my daughter's Blackberry is a little different..

She cannot receive SMS / MMS messages unless she turns off the phone.. there is no indication at all that she is getting a message..

An example of this .. She composes a message, and sends it.. then, waits a few minutes, she has to turn the phone off and back on, and then will receive the messages..

I have looked at the settings, and the option to automatically receive is set to always receive.

Can anyone help.. Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #149
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamellis View Post
My trackball doesn't want to scroll down. That just started yesterday and is bugging me.
I had the same issue .Some one told me to push down on the certain firmly and roll in all directions. It solved my issues. i could only go side to side and down not up.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #150
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm65 View Post
I have read through the various posts, and while they are all similar, the problem I am having with my daughter's Blackberry is a little different..

She cannot receive SMS / MMS messages unless she turns off the phone.. there is no indication at all that she is getting a message..

An example of this .. She composes a message, and sends it.. then, waits a few minutes, she has to turn the phone off and back on, and then will receive the messages..

I have looked at the settings, and the option to automatically receive is set to always receive.

Can anyone help.. Thanks,

Dave
options/ advance options/hosting table/ menu key/reregister now/ ok. try it
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #151
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Wow I was checking under Options/advanced options/bottom is wireless upgrade. I click it and it lists my OS and then there is a button for checking for upgrade wirelessly. pretty cool now when is the upgrade !!

Last edited by Tritan; 01-02-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #152
JeffW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670

Quote:
Wow I was checking under Options/advanced options/bottom is wireless upgrade. I click it and it lists my OS and then there is a button for checking for upgrade wirelessly. pretty cool now when is the upgrade !!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/...2d907a.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...eb184d.jpg?v=0
I don't have that option Any idea how to get it?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #153
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs down

Don't know of other options to get it but its still there even after deleting more 3rd party apps to find out why my device is still locking up and found dead.
I am down to the following apps.
crackberry icon
bb fourms icons
quick pull
capture it

Heres to hoping for a live berry in the morning.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #154
D_Wayne

Carrier: Sprint Together With Nextel

I know five other people with the 8350i including myself and none of us have the "wireless upgrade" selection under advanced options. Strange.... OS is the same in all the phones. I've have pretty much the same 3rd party applications as you Tritan but my phone is not locking up or going dead. Only main problems I have are the MMS issues and occassionly for whatever reason my BB Brower will default to "Hot Spot" instead of "Internet Brower" option and prevent me from going online without an active Wi-Fi connection.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #155
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Wayne View Post
I know five other people with the 8350i including myself and none of us have the "wireless upgrade" selection under advanced options. Strange.... OS is the same in all the phones. I've have pretty much the same 3rd party applications as you Tritan but my phone is not locking up or going dead. Only main problems I have are the MMS issues and occassionly for whatever reason my BB Brower will default to "Hot Spot" instead of "Internet Brower" option and prevent me from going online without an active Wi-Fi connection.
I have the wifi bug also . i started another thread at crackberry and finally found someone else with the same issues. This fellow has gone threw 3 devices either they freeze like i am having or found dead for no reason. i am holding out for a fix but he keeps bringing them back and Sprint doesn't know what to tell them. I using quick pull now for reboots and reboot at least 5-8 times a day with the device found dead at least 2 times a day. I have delete most 3rd software but after finding this other post I have a feeling its an OS bug.

dead 8350 help - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I hate to sound like negative about this device I have seen alot of post praising and making comments to ignore a negative post like this . I am just hoping by sharing are experiences we can find fixes to the issues. I haven't gone back to the store demanding a new device because i don't think its going to do any good for now. I have used the bug report on the phone so we will see if that does any good.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #156
D_Wayne

Carrier: Sprint Together With Nextel

oops, I lied. I have one other bug....It's only happened three times since I've got the phone but worth noting. The camera will not open. I get some funky message about "...too many applications open, please close other applications...." I've tried to close everything that was open but yet the camera would still not operate. The only way to get the camera to open is by doing a reboot by pulling the battery. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #157
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

So far my berry hasn't been "dead" or frozen. I haven't downloaded anything except for the gmail and MySpace. I want to try some other options (possibly Opera Mini)because I am losing my mind trying to check my phpbb forum since I either have to choose page or columns. Page makes the words so small I have to zoom in and columns make me scroll. That was never a problem on the 7100i.... I know I just have to figure it out. When everyone figures out what software is giving their Berry troubles I might try and download them but for now I am holding out!

Tritan, Thanks for the tip. The trackball hasn't done that since but if it does it again I'll remember that.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #158
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Just got some news on software. Vib and Ring is not compatible with 4.6 OS yet. I was advised not to run it they are going to email me when and if its ready. They where willing to give me a refund.

software running ok for today
QuickPull
crackberry icon
crackberry store icon
bb fourms icon
bb news icon

going to try loading a few on tonight one at a time and see what happens.

some one remind me how to show my sms so it looks threaded?

Last edited by Tritan; 01-03-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #159
nicholaaaas
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 4025DF23

Quote:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/...2d907a.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...eb184d.jpg?v=0
see i wasn't crazy!!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #160
aggravation

Model: 7100i
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Wayne View Post
oops, I lied. I have one other bug....It's only happened three times since I've got the phone but worth noting. The camera will not open. I get some funky message about "...too many applications open, please close other applications...." I've tried to close everything that was open but yet the camera would still not operate. The only way to get the camera to open is by doing a reboot by pulling the battery. Anyone else have this happen?
I found that mine does that too if I've used the AIM program. If I never open AIM up the camera works anytime I want.
Closed Thread