BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz
Carrier: Verizon
Default If I buy a Storm from somone else...

Please Login to Remove!

and take it to a Verizon store, and ask them to swap it out for my existing Pearl, other than the fact that I didn't pay full retail from them, are there any potential problems I might run into?

I can't upgrade with a discount for about a year, and I have a friend who can get me the storm thru a friend at the normal discounted price (199) and basically he's going to drop it on me.

I want to then go to the local Verizon and tell them "hey, make this work and port my # over to it." Is it any more complicated than this, or will Verizon say since I didn't personally buy it from a store I have to jump thru some hoops and junk? Any once else go thru this process to get their Storm and have some advice?

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

You should be fine. I believe you'll just have to activate it on your account the same way with any other phone.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
moviemogul
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: I have one, but do you want it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girion View Post
and take it to a Verizon store, and ask them to swap it out for my existing Pearl, other than the fact that I didn't pay full retail from them, are there any potential problems I might run into?

I can't upgrade with a discount for about a year, and I have a friend who can get me the storm thru a friend at the normal discounted price (199) and basically he's going to drop it on me.

I want to then go to the local Verizon and tell them "hey, make this work and port my # over to it." Is it any more complicated than this, or will Verizon say since I didn't personally buy it from a store I have to jump thru some hoops and junk? Any once else go thru this process to get their Storm and have some advice?
It won't be an issue. Honestly, you don't even need to go into a store. Just call 611 and have them swap out the phones.

You'll need to have a BB Data plan added to your bill, but aside from that, it is very painless
Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
strata615
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

You wouldn't run into any problems, but I believe your friend might. I think that if you buy a phone at 2 year contract price and fail to upgrade to that phone they will charge the full retail to your account.

They told me this is what they did when I bought the Storm at least. Something along the lines of "If you do not activate this phone within 30 days then the full retail amount will be charged to your account."

Last edited by strata615; 01-18-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by strata615 View Post
You wouldn't run into any problems, but I believe your friend might. I think that if you buy a phone at 2 year contract price and fail to upgrade to that phone they will charge the full retail to your account.

They told me this is what they did when I bought the Storm at least. Something along the lines of "If you do not activate this phone within 30 days then the full retail amount will be charged to your account."
When you buy a phone on upgrade from Verizon, you have 30 days to activate it on a line on your account. It can be any line on your account, it doesn't have to be the one you upgraded on. I don't know how long you need to keep it active before you can move it to another account.

If you have a phone that was not reported stolen or damaged to the insurance carrier, then Verizon won't have a problem activating it on your account.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Oblivian

Model: 9520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you use your own device rather than sell you one for way below cost, meanwhile you're still paying the exorbitant monthly fees.

Why is your friend giving it up for only $199??
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
mickrg123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 30518793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
I'm sure they would be more than happy to have you use your own device rather than sell you one for way below cost, meanwhile you're still paying the exorbitant monthly fees.

Why is your friend giving it up for only $199??
Just go to Verizon web page log in add phone from there all you need meid number from phone and accept 29.00 data package.
Closed Thread