mkatari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Storm slider

Please Login to Remove!

I would love it too ...
That would be my ultimate blackberry.

To be honest I would love to see a blackberry with a 5" screen. Yeah I know its not a phone anymore but the amount of work i would be able to do on the blackberry I wouldn't need a laptop anymore. Kind of like an OQO.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

I just started using the storm yesterday and I am very impressed with it and the keyboard. I upgraded to .90 and things are working well.

I am so pleased with the touchscreen keyboard because I just came off the htc touch diamond. Now typing on that was garbage. I am already used to the touch screen button and almost busted my tomtom trying this in the car... i guess i am very used to it.

the only pain i got is, i would like to have 4 icons on the main screen and not 8. Other then that the device gets a 9/10 with bugs.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
awalker819
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: Just ask!
Carrier: T-Mobile

I love this idea. I like the idea of a touchscreen, but I know I'm pretty hard on phones and it sure would be nice to have a full keyboard for texting, emails etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #24
andrewknight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20C9851E
Carrier: vodafone

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke
I just started using the storm yesterday and I am very impressed with it and the keyboard. I upgraded to .90 and things are working well.

I am so pleased with the touchscreen keyboard because I just came off the htc touch diamond. Now typing on that was garbage. I am already used to the touch screen button and almost busted my tomtom trying this in the car... i guess i am very used to it.

the only pain i got is, i would like to have 4 icons on the main screen and not 8. Other then that the device gets a 9/10 with bugs.
I'm in complete agreement, made a few small mods and am now very happy with my storm. Ok, its not ideal to have to "tweak" the thing but as a hi-fi nut and car enthusiast who spends hours/days soldering and spannering I feel it a small inconvenience. It has also left me familiar with my phones ops/interface. Which reminds me- go to setup_options_advanced_accessibility and you find home screen settings. There you can get your four icons buddy.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
Coburg

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro1 View Post
I've had my Storm for about 5 weeks now, and would like to share my likes, dislikes and suggestions for RIMM when developing my "dream" unit.

Pros:

-fantastic screen size and resolution.

-perfect size and weight for entire unit.

Cons:

-the onscreen keyboard. A great idea that renders the unit more of a novelity than a productive function. It will never be as usable as a hard keyboard. The worst part of not having a hard keyboard is the absense of directional cursor keys, or trackball. Trying to relocate the cursor using the onscreen keyboard is almost useless. In my opinion the onscreen keyboard outweighs all the other great advantages of the Storm. I have all but given up using the Storm to input information and have resorted to carrying a small notebook and pen.

-the unit is slow. When clicking on Unlock, I have to wait about 3 seconds before the keyboard appears allowing me to enter my password. This is in additon to the very noticable lag when using the camera, and other features such as viewing my existing photos. The iPhone is much, much faster when scrolling through photos and other functions.

-------

My dream unit would be the Storm but with a slide out keyboard which includes directional cursor keys. Although I imagine they could develope such a unit by adding ony about 30% more thickness to the unit, I would gladly accept a unit that was up to 50-100% thicker. That is how much I hate the onscreen keyboard and the lack of directional cursor keys. Also, I'd be willing to pay more for a much faster processor.

Hopefully, many others share my thoughts and together we can encourage RIMM to develope such a device.

One more thing: In my opinion, DocumentsToGo is almost worthless and a barbaric step backward when compared to the convenience that Windows Mobile provides, such as automatic syncing without having to hunt and drag files. Also the ability for automatic bi-directional syncing. Either RIMM needs to come to an agreement with Microsoft to allow this feature on RIMM products or DataViz needs to catch up to Microsoft.

Thanks for listening.

Hiya - Listeen, If you go into the settings, there is an option to set up the speed of apps/keyboard/etc. appearing. You can also set up the sensitivity of the touchscreen specific to the keyboard. I played with this for about half an hour and ended up w/settings that makes the cursor apear immediately, and after practice, I can move around very quickly and accurately. Also, having comne to the Storm from a BB Curve 8330, I can maneuver around the keyboard as accuratly as I did on the Curve, and with pretty good speed given my large thumbs. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but the thing with the Storm, as with the HTC Touch, or any new hardware/software - ya gotta practice. It doesn't come automatically. It takes 15 to 20 minutes practice for a couple of weeks to get prtoficient with the Storm's keyboard. I was lucky and was told this by my servicecenter person, so I knew what to expect w/the Storm. I'm a lousy typist - but a damned good Storm texter now.

What I HATE: calling voicemail, being asked for my password, hitting the keyboard icon, entering my password, and being told that it isn't valid (because the key to pop-up the keypad sends a tone, apparently. BIG software screwup.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
MoeMistry

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro1 View Post
I've had my Storm for about 5 weeks now, and would like to share my likes, dislikes and suggestions for RIMM when developing my "dream" unit.

Pros:

-fantastic screen size and resolution.

-perfect size and weight for entire unit.

Cons:

-the onscreen keyboard. A great idea that renders the unit more of a novelity than a productive function. It will never be as usable as a hard keyboard. The worst part of not having a hard keyboard is the absense of directional cursor keys, or trackball. Trying to relocate the cursor using the onscreen keyboard is almost useless. In my opinion the onscreen keyboard outweighs all the other great advantages of the Storm. I have all but given up using the Storm to input information and have resorted to carrying a small notebook and pen.

-the unit is slow. When clicking on Unlock, I have to wait about 3 seconds before the keyboard appears allowing me to enter my password. This is in additon to the very noticable lag when using the camera, and other features such as viewing my existing photos. The iPhone is much, much faster when scrolling through photos and other functions.

-------

My dream unit would be the Storm but with a slide out keyboard which includes directional cursor keys. Although I imagine they could develope such a unit by adding ony about 30% more thickness to the unit, I would gladly accept a unit that was up to 50-100% thicker. That is how much I hate the onscreen keyboard and the lack of directional cursor keys. Also, I'd be willing to pay more for a much faster processor.

Hopefully, many others share my thoughts and together we can encourage RIMM to develope such a device.

One more thing: In my opinion, DocumentsToGo is almost worthless and a barbaric step backward when compared to the convenience that Windows Mobile provides, such as automatic syncing without having to hunt and drag files. Also the ability for automatic bi-directional syncing. Either RIMM needs to come to an agreement with Microsoft to allow this feature on RIMM products or DataViz needs to catch up to Microsoft.

Thanks for listening.
good post.
Closed Thread