Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
spatch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Storm - first impressions

Please Login to Remove!

I have had it for two days now and while I like some aspects like the interface, the feel of the handset and the browsing experience, there are a number things that I am not overly happy with.

1) This has been mentioned ad nauseum, but the battery life is not good. I have heard that the newer OS's and 3-4 very long battery charges improve things so I have some things to try, but at the moment I am not impressed. Yesterday I ran the battery down, then charged for 16hrs last night but today (with only 3 messages received) the phone is down to 35% in only 8hrs!!
2) I have had to remove the battery twice already. Yesterday I tried to use the phone for satnav but the maps would not load and sat there "requesting" and it was totally usless. I assumed that it was due to poor network coverage but when I pulled the battery some time later and tried the maps it worked fine! Looks like the app crashed for some reason.
3) Today, the little timer kept coming up every 10 secs. Maps would not load (as per no. 2 above) and it kept communicating with the network. Things didn't improve when I turned it off so I pulled the battery, which fixed it. Looked like something else had crashed.

I have 14 days to return it and I certainly do not want to do so as I really like some aspects, but if I cannot get the battery life to improve or to get the phone to be more reliable then it will have to go.

So, firmware updates should improve its performance. One question then, should I update the latest version as per sticky at the top of this section? My concern is that it is not a UK update. Is this a problem, and if not, why does my Storm not pick up this update if I "check for updates" via the phone? Are there any risks to the phone and is this actually an official update?

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
spatch

No opinions/comments on the OS update??
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
spatch

Little disappointed with no response, perhaps there are no opinions on the matter?

In any case, thought I would spare the time for an update. After 4 or so good long charges the battery performance is much better. It also has not frozen again.

I really like the phone and with the improvements of the issues I mentioned above I will be keeping it.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

spatch,

if just read the posts, you will get ample assessments of the currently official OS and a majority of the current betas.

I am jealous of you because you have the ability to run .131 in Europe.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
spatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
spatch,

if just read the posts, you will get ample assessments of the currently official OS and a majority of the current betas.
Yes, tried to trawl through all these but did not seem very conclusive.

Quote:
I am jealous of you because you have the ability to run .131 in Europe.
Really, why is this?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Because .131 has been released for Storm 9500 users. There is a Vodaphone customer in this forum using it on their Storm.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

One quick question regarding the GPS issue: are you using it indoors? I've tried it indoors just to see what would happen and I would get the endless "updating location" message which would also drain my battery.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
spatch

Quote:
Because .131 has been released for Storm 9500 users. There is a Vodaphone customer in this forum using it on their Storm.
Ahh OK, do you know if this is an official update, and is it from Vodafone UK? I haven't seen any official updates here yet?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
spatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidepact View Post
One quick question regarding the GPS issue: are you using it indoors? I've tried it indoors just to see what would happen and I would get the endless "updating location" message which would also drain my battery.
No, wasn't indoors, I was out in the car. Admittedly, the signal strength was not good all the time but we moved through 3G areas, and since then, it downloads maps when on 1 bar in a GPRS area. I do not think the signal strength caused the freezing but it certainly could have increased the load on the battery.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Queensplayer

PIN: 305e2bfa
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Having the storm and playing with it. The device does have some problems but what devices you know that doesn't now have problems. i don't like using the google or blackberry maps. i have the vz nav and i find that easy to use. The movement of the screen will get better. It's a takes a second or more but it will go to the screen RIM is always making update to the software just stay tuned
Closed Thread