Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
MurrayTORONTO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Got a new screen..

Please Login to Remove!

Okay so I got a new screen for my 9530 after dropping a rock on the old one.

I just got the phone back, but there's 1 thing.. when I try to press down on the screen close to the bottom, even on the bottom homescreen row (holding the phone normally, upright), it doesn't always click when i press.. i have to press around a bit closer to the center of the phone until it clicks in..

Just overall the clicking is NOT the same and not as responsive as before.

Now why is it like this now? I never had this problem on the original screen, no doubt.
Is there a difference between the 9530 and 9500 screens?

Or does this purely have to do with the buttons that are located under the screen that are on the actual phone unit?

Last edited by MurrayTORONTO; 04-01-2009 at 03:59 PM..
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
jkassay

Model: 8700c
Carrier: tmobile
Default new screen

On the back of your new screen there should be a small amount flexable glue like substance) on each corner. this props up the screen on the corners which allows you to activate the screen switch (located in the center of the screen). I replaced my screen and had the same problem. The new screen does not come with this flex material, and the person who replaced your screen probably didn't apply any. It must be done or your screen will not respond properly.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
MurrayTORONTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkassay View Post
On the back of your new screen there should be a small amount flexable glue like substance) on each corner. this props up the screen on the corners which allows you to activate the screen switch (located in the center of the screen). I replaced my screen and had the same problem. The new screen does not come with this flex material, and the person who replaced your screen probably didn't apply any. It must be done or your screen will not respond properly.
I took it back, we took the phone apart again and he showed me all the little rubber things you're talking about. They were all there. I found out that he took this screen straight from a brand new verizon 9530..so the screen is fine.

But when he took it apart this second time, and put it back together.. now the side that I said wasnt responsive, is better, but the opposite side is slightly worse, but not as bad as the other side was originally.
The guy was completely honest, it wasn't a hole-in-the-wall place. After I took it back the 2nd time he even offered to give me a full refund and put my old screen back on. But that wasn't going to change anything, because I'd just have to take it somewhere else and he was the best price. (Telus quoted me 250, this guy charged me 180 and it's fine to send in for regular warranty service because he didn't put a sticker on it and some other thing..)

All in all I think I should just tough it out and see if it fixes itself.. or I might take it back to telus and try to say it was like this the whole time, as I couldn't take it back before because it had a gunshot looking wound on the screen.

Suggestions anyone?

Last edited by MurrayTORONTO; 04-01-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
jkassay

Model: 8700c
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayTORONTO View Post
I took it back, we took the phone apart again and he showed me all the little rubber things you're talking about. They were all there. I found out that he took this screen straight from a brand new verizon 9530..so the screen is fine.

But when he took it apart this second time, and put it back together.. now the side that I said wasnt responsive, is better, but the opposite side is slightly worse, but not as bad as the other side was originally.
The guy was completely honest, it wasn't a hole-in-the-wall place. After I took it back the 2nd time he even offered to give me a full refund and put my old screen back on. But that wasn't going to change anything, because I'd just have to take it somewhere else and he was the best price. (Telus quoted me 250, this guy charged me 180 and it's fine to send in for regular warranty service because he didn't put a sticker on it and some other thing..)

All in all I think I should just tough it out and see if it fixes itself.. or I might take it back to telus and try to say it was like this the whole time, as I couldn't take it back before because it had a gunshot looking wound on the screen.

Suggestions anyone?
Does your screen rattle when you shake it? is it loose or does it seem tight?

I ended up taking very small pieces of foam tape (as small as I could cut it) and placing them in the corners to get the feel right all the way around. Too big then it took much pressure, too small then the screen rattles and some corners fail to make the switch complete.

All-in-All it is not a very good way to make a switch located under the center of the screen activate properly. I was not impressed after I saw how it worked.

Best of luck!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
MurrayTORONTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkassay View Post
Does your screen rattle when you shake it? is it loose or does it seem tight?

I ended up taking very small pieces of foam tape (as small as I could cut it) and placing them in the corners to get the feel right all the way around. Too big then it took much pressure, too small then the screen rattles and some corners fail to make the switch complete.

All-in-All it is not a very good way to make a switch located under the center of the screen activate properly. I was not impressed after I saw how it worked.

Best of luck!
Yes it does rattle like that.. although I've tried the other method where you just put something under the backing over your battery and i tried it, it works.. the screen is more responsive now

The Perfect Solution for the Screen Click Problems - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Though I wasn't too impressed that after shelling out the cash for a storm that i've had to ghetto mod it already..
Closed Thread