Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
greg2step
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW
Default Temp key vs. Migration kit

Please Login to Remove!

I have started a new job a few weeks ago in a company with a relatively small BES deployment compared to what I'm used to

We currently have a single BES 4.16 server, local MSDE, approx 75 users.

We are going to move from MSDE to SQL on a SQL 2005 server we have stood up. We also need to move BES to new hardware after that.

Question about keys - I have had RIM issue a Temp key from our support agreement - I'd like to stand up the new server w/ the temp key attached to the same SQL database, then move all of the users, then retire the original BES server, then re-deploy our existing permanent key to the new server. Should this work as planned?

The RIM support tech told me they could issue the key no problem which they did, but we really need a migration key not a temp key which I beleive needs to be purchased as part of a migration kit.

Can someone elaborate on the difference between the keys? Is there any reason I can't do this w/ the temp key just issued?

I am not a big fan of knife edge cutover, the virtual BES host name will match the old server we are about to retire, I'd like to avoid that.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Greg
Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Purchase the migration kit for less trouble.

IIRC the temp key is for 20 users, unless htye gave you something different.

I like knife edge, is easy to do, why dont you like it?
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
Can someone elaborate on the difference between the keys? Is there any reason I can't do this w/ the temp key just issued?

I am not a big fan of knife edge cutover, the virtual BES host name will match the old server we are about to retire, I'd like to avoid that.
I don't know, as I am a knife-edge knida guy myself, but it seems to me that the above is probably the whole point of the migration key. RIM charge you so you can move a chunk of users without having to keep the old BES instance name or re-activate them. More than likely, the temp key will only work with the old name, but I am guessing here based on logic and we all know how RIM treat logic
Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
I like knife edge, is easy to do, why dont you like it?
I think he's just saying he doesn't like having the old BES instance name. I hate it tbh as I have to keep explaining to fools why it is still there but it saves money so I have to do it
Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
greg2step

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Is there any way to apply the existing key to the new server and keep the old server offline? trying to avoid the expense of a migration key just to move BES to new hardware.

another problem w/ knife edge - the BES server name will have to stay the name as the old host name. We want to remove BES from the old host but keep it running as there is another app on there. - this could cause a name conflict.

Its kind of ridiculous that RIM makes you pay $800 for a migration key just to do a clean non-knife edge move to new hardware.

thanks for your help

Greg
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
MikaelBES

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

To perform the knife edge from what I understand it simply must have the same name. I am not that experienced with the BES server but I would guess if your company could deal with some down time you could do a fresh install, back up the databases and then try to restore them.

But I am not sure if the old databases would have any dependency on the old name. From what I understand when I did the knife edge the main problem was remembering simply that RIM must be told to reactive your single SRP because its linked to that server name on their end.

I would love to know if this were possible. If anyone reads this and has any input please help because I would love to learn.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Harry Azol

Model: yes
PIN: N/A
Carrier: yes

About 1.5 years agos during an AD domain migration - I got a temp key, used it to setup/test/etc the new BES, then transferred the users over (reactivated them) and then simply turned off the old server and put our actual SRP onto the new server and we didnt have any problems. We didnt have to reactivate our SRP or call RIM for anything, I don't know if this has changed
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

@greg2step & MikaelBES - The Windows Hostname doesn't have to stay the same, only the BES instance name. Loads of thereads about knife-edge on here with more info on. There won't be any name conflicts as only the BES software on the new BES uses the old BES instance name. The SRP ID doesn't have to re-activated etc, you just have to remember that you can't try to use it from two machines at the same time or RIM will lock it.

@Harry Azol - the activation bit is key here. Knife-edge cutover allows you to move BESs without having to reactivate but the BES instance name must stay the same. The SRP ID can change after the cutover but the instance name must remain the same
Closed Thread