BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
70seven
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Does instaling apps lower my applicaiton memory?

Please Login to Remove!

I asked this in the App World sticky but can't get a straight answer.

On my Storm, my Application Memory was always in the low 30's or high 20's. After about a full week of usage it hits the low 20's and I usually do a Battery pull to bring it back up to 45Mb. This morning my Application Memory was 26Mb and after downloading the App World and playing around with it my application memory went down to 19Mb, I saw it hit 18Mb today, the lowest its ever been for me. The phone is still running smooth and fast, but will buying and installing apps lower my memory like the App World did? Right now my memory is at 21Mb which is low for me. There is a couple of Apps i'm interested in, but will buying 4-5 apps lower my application memory to below 10Mb ?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Wirelessly posted

Hmm I used to have the storm I remember it used to slow down aftern running a few apps. For it to speed up alittle I would have to make sure the app would make sure the app was not running in the background when I'm not using it.don't exit the app without going into the menu and select close . That should as I remember free up space when not useing the app
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
70seven

I close all my apps, that's not the problem, right now there is only the few that cant be closed that are running, phone, messages, bb messenger ect...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

my feeling is that since apps install in the main memory (a flimsy 128 MB), then i assume it will take up at least that much amount of ram from file free, and then maybe some more....?

that's my speculation....
i just wish RIM set up v4.7 to take advantage of the 1 GB secondary, because most ppl would use the SD card since it comes from the carrier with one pre-installed. but i can see y they wouldn't do that, because that gives the option to the user to not have an SD card installed at all....

but again, y not use that secondary ? if the entire OS and apps can reside on 128MB with file free, then y not grab and dedicate another 128MB from the secondary ? (I hope RIM is listening to me )
Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Wirelessly posted

Sure does. They take space and if left running in the background can slow down other processes.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
70seven

Ok that's what I thought and was afraid of. Does all Apps in the App Worl take as much room as the App World App it self? Its the App that lowered my memory the most.

I have These already instaled: Opera Mini, Bolt, Facebook, Weather Eye, Youtube, GoogleMaps BBFileSout and Quick Pull.

How many more apps can/should I instal ?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

It's up to you. Just leave a safety margin that you're comfortable with. The BB will run just fine all the way down to 0 though I don't recommend ever allowing your BB to run completely out of device memory. The BB isn't a PC -- it doesn't use virtual memory and flash memory doesn't suffer from performance hits as used space increases like the hard drives in PC's.

I thought you could check on app sizes via Options->Advanced Options->Applications but I think I was wrong... I do know that when you install apps it tells you the size of the app you're installing.

Don't fixate on some arbitrary number with regard to free device memory. I'm able to run my 8310 just fine with 8MB free. 20MB is a lot of space on a BB. Again, it's not PC. Look at the app sizes when you download -- they're typically in KB though certain apps are much larger.

Keep in mind that YMMV depending on your usage though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70seven View Post
Does all Apps in the App Worl take as much room as the App World App it self?
Depends on the app you're talking about. They vary in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i just wish RIM set up v4.7 to take advantage of the 1 GB secondary, because most ppl would use the SD card since it comes from the carrier with one pre-installed. but i can see y they wouldn't do that, because that gives the option to the user to not have an SD card installed at all....
That's why they call it a "media card". Though I'm not sure why you think not allowing people to store/run apps from the media card means that they have the option to not have an SD card installed at all. BB users can currently run without a media card if they choose to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
(I hope RIM is listening to me )
They'll hear you better if you email [email address].

Last edited by takeshi; 04-02-2009 at 08:46 AM..
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
70seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
It's up to you. Just leave a safety margin that you're comfortable with. The BB will run just fine all the way down to 0 though I don't recommend ever allowing your BB to run completely out of device memory. The BB isn't a PC -- it doesn't use virtual memory and flash memory doesn't suffer from performance hits as used space increases like the hard drives in PC's.

I thought you could check on app sizes via Options->Advanced Options->Applications but I think I was wrong... I do know that when you install apps it tells you the size of the app you're installing.

Don't fixate on some arbitrary number with regard to free device memory. I'm able to run my 8310 just fine with 8MB free. 20MB is a lot of space on a BB. Again, it's not PC. Look at the app sizes when you download -- they're typically in KB though certain apps are much larger.

Keep in mind that YMMV depending on your usage though.

Depends on the app you're talking about. They vary in size.
Thank you, very good post, for some reason I had the idea that my BB would slow down if my memory was too low. When I hit 18Mb I found it low but the BB was still lightning quick. I have a Storm, and I know some users din't like their experiance with it so I was trying to keep my memory up so I don't end up not liking the device like many users. I'll stop worring about it now, thanks.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

There's a bit of misunderstanding. The likelihood of a BB running slower with less device memory is there because the owner probably isn't managing apps running in the background if that person is allowing device memory to run out. Not to mention that the BB has to perform cleanup operations if device memory hits 0.

It is best practice to keep as much device memory free as possible -- particularly if your OS and/or apps aren't releasing device memory of if they use additional device memory when they're running. Uninstall apps that you don't use. Close apps you're not currently using. Keep media out of device memory, etc.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-02-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
There's a bit of misunderstanding. The likelihood of a BB running slower with less device memory is there because the owner probably isn't managing apps running in the background
Is there a way to check which apps are running in the background?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

A search for "apps running background" found the following right near the top of the search results.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...mory-leak.html

See post #2.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Thank you DJM!!
Closed Thread