Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
designinme
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default GPS Fee For Bold?

Please Login to Remove!

I am a little curious, so maybe someone could help me. I have a pearl and want to upgrade to the Bold. My carrier is Cincinnati Bell. The sales lady at the store told me that in order to get GPS on the blackberry, I have to pay a month fee of $10?

So, I called customer care and asked them, and the lady told me I wouldn't have to register with blackberry and could use whatever I wanted for GPS... eluding to some sort of free option?

So, I am curious.. is there a way to get GPS without paying a monthlt fee? Has does this work? Does activation require a month fee to work, or is there another way of using GPS on the BOLD without paying a monthly fee?

I guess, I really don't understand the advantage of paying $10 a month additional to the data plan ( already $29.99 ), to gain GPS, when I can get a Garmin for $80 and not pay a monthly fee at all? Does this make sense?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A826A3
Carrier: AT&T

Download Google Maps. It's free and works very well. That's all I use on my phone.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
designinme

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

How does google maps work? Can it tap into GPS on the BOLD? Is it real time, or just simple text directions?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24A826A3

It's real time and uses the onboard GPS of the phone (no charge for using your GPS in the phone). It will allow you to search items like fuel, food, etc and map too it just like a GPS. Google has a lot of useful stuff on their mobile website. m.google.com I believe is their mobile site.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The $10/month fee most likely is for their own telenav product which gives you GPS mapping, voice turn by turn directions and auto reroute should you miss a turn. Very few of the "free" apps give you that.

GPS is free, paid for by your tax dollars. However, you must have a BB data plan to use most of the map applications.

Take a look at the sticky in the GPS section as it has a very good review of most of the map applications for the BB.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Definitely visit the GPS forum.

I can't speak for Cincinnati Bell as I'm not familiar with them but the $10/mo probably is for whatever GPS app that they sell as Dubdub said. What you pay for a GPS app depends on the GPS app you decide to use. Again, visit the GPS forum. There's an "All Known GPS Apps" thread. Try some out and pick the app that suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designinme View Post
I guess, I really don't understand the advantage of paying $10 a month additional to the data plan ( already $29.99 ), to gain GPS, when I can get a Garmin for $80 and not pay a monthly fee at all? Does this make sense?
Yup. It's called subjective preference. And you don't "gain GPS". You already have a GPS receiver in your BB. The $10/month is for one (of many) GPS apps. If you don't see the point in paying for GPS apps on the BB then don't. There are free options or you can use your $80 Garmin.

Personally, I can't stand dealing with multiple devices but one of the selling points of the BB for me was convergence. Some people prefer the features on standalone GPS units and appreciate how they don't need data coverage. For my GPS needs, it's not an issue and I prefer the convenience of having a GPS app on my BB (it's always with me) and I'm willing to subscribe to Telenav based on my experiences with the various BB GPS apps that I've tried. YMMV. Like I said, try out the apps and see what suits you best.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-14-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
bbjp

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

Don't pay for GPS apps. Google Maps is free and in my experience has everything you'd need for mobile navigation.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Just don't drive anywhere near me if you're using Google Maps in your car...

Voice prompts are a must-have IMO unless your co-pilot is the one using Google Maps. Try several out. Nothing beats first hand experience.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
makedonce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMerlin View Post
It's real time and uses the onboard GPS of the phone (no charge for using your GPS in the phone). It will allow you to search items like fuel, food, etc and map too it just like a GPS. Google has a lot of useful stuff on their mobile website. m.google.com I believe is their mobile site.
When google maps uses the onboard GPS, does it use any data as well? Im on a limited data plan I have to be carefull.
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Old 04-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Both Google and Blackberry maps fetch the map data over the data connection. Blackberry maps seems to use less because it is vector based where as Google are raster based. YMMV.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
BBNumber1
Thumbs Must Hurt

BB Maps, if you can use it, also stores the maps, so you can use it without Cell coverage, if you Download the maps first.

Unfortunately, AT&T blocks the use of BB Maps (now with some kind of Service Book push)
Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
roxxy

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

yupppp, well im guessing if u have the data plan then it comes with it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
sheitan

Model: bold
Carrier: mtel

u dont really need to order their GPS app, there are some very nice free alternatives on the market
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
When google maps uses the onboard GPS, does it use any data as well? Im on a limited data plan I have to be carefull.
To clarify -- your GPS receiver doesn't use data. It only provides your latitude and longitude though. That's where your GPS app comes in. It provides every other feature (maps, POI's, directions, voice prompts, etc etc). Your GPS app may or may not use data depending on the app. Google Maps definitely uses data.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-21-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
To clarify -- your GPS receiver doesn't use data. It only provides your latitude and longitude though. That's where your GPS app comes in. It provides every other feature (maps, POI's, directions, voice prompts, etc etc). Your GPS app may or may not use data depending on the app. Google Maps definitely uses data.
Not entirely true either. The Bold comes with Location Aiding turned on by default, which will periodically query the network for data that may make the first fix faster, or location data more accurate. This can be turned off in Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS.

Blackberries, wonderfully complex, complexly wonderful.