Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
voda_black
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default BES 5 Admin Service Problem

Please Login to Remove!

OK - so I have upgraded to BES 5.0 without any problem as such. All the services have restarted and I can use the BlackBerries....

The problem I am having is when I go to the Administration service, I get an error:

The Page Cannot Be Found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

I have stopped and restarted all services - any ideas?

Thanks in advance for help!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
TreeDude

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626
Carrier: Verizon

Are you using the host name or IP? If your using the host name I would check to be sure it is in DNS.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
voda_black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDude View Post
Are you using the host name or IP? If your using the host name I would check to be sure it is in DNS.
I have been using the host name - but even if I put in the IP - its the same result....

I have a feeling it is me having configured it for High Availability and setting up a DNS Pool - which I should not have. Don't know how to disable this now...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
voda_black

I may have made an error in the DNS entries - as I made no changes in the DNS.....sorry but dns is not a strong point at all for me.

Could someone please guide me?

Tks
Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T, tMobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by voda_black View Post
I have been using the host name - but even if I put in the IP - its the same result....

I have a feeling it is me having configured it for High Availability and setting up a DNS Pool - which I should not have. Don't know how to disable this now...
How'd you set it up for HA? You did a HA pair for this one (this is the primary, and you've got a secondary waiting to take over)?

You can uninstall - re-run the installer and uncheck anything you don't want to be installed on this server - the uninstall seems to work pretty well...

- mike
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

During the installation the fqdn of the primary is used as the default for BAS. If HA is configured and you used a different name for the DNS pool, then you'll need to register that name in your DNS

You also need to install the components on each computer in the pool, otherwise your browser will display the HTTP 404 error if it tries to connect to a computer in the pool that does not have the components installed.

Last edited by dev; 05-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
You also need to install the components on each computer in the pool, otherwise your browser will display the HTTP 404 error if it tries to connect to a computer in the pool that does not have the components installed.
Which components are you talking about? You do not need to install BAS everywhere.

For instance, you can easily install BES and HA on two servers and then leave BAS completely off of them. You can install BAS on a 3rd server as a remote component - it's basically is a web server front end that connects to the BESMgmt database and sees the two BESes set up in an HA config.

I think we just need more info on the setup that voda_black's got going on: single BES/BAS? Two BES servers with HA and BAS installed on each? And so on.

- mike

Last edited by sweater; 05-04-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
voda_black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater View Post
Which components are you talking about? You do not need to install BAS everywhere.

For instance, you can easily install BES and HA on two servers and then leave BAS completely off of them. You can install BAS on a 3rd server as a remote component - it's basically is a web server front end that connects to the BESMgmt database and sees the two BESes set up in an HA config.

I think we just need more info on the setup that voda_black's got going on: single BES/BAS? Two BES servers with HA and BAS installed on each? And so on.

- mike
What is the simplest way to figure out if HA is actually configured?

My setup is actually quite simple. I only have one server. And should not really have configured HA. I guess I configured it without realising.

So my setup is:

1 server running BES/BAS. I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

What do I need to do to rectify my situation? Do I have to go through an uninstall/reinstall? I am not keen on doing this as it means restarting the server....which causes me a slight problem as I am accessing it remotely at the moment...

Last edited by voda_black; 05-04-2009 at 02:22 PM..
Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I was referring to the BlackBerry Administration Service and the DNS pool setup - https://<pool-name>/webconsole/login or https://<pool-name>/webdesktop/login.

Yes you're right we need more info...
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
voda_black

Also, FYI:

If I ping: nameofbesserver.domainname.local, it pings the correct IP address, i.e. the ip of the bes server...

And 1 more thing...when I start the BlackBerry Adminstration Service, it starts, however, everytime I try to go to the website: https://nameofbesserver.domainname/l...bconsole/login, a Windows authentication screen appears. After that, the Http 404 error, and then the BAS service also stops...and I need to restart it...
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
1 server running BES/BAS. I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

What do I need to do to rectify my situation? Do I have to go through an uninstall/reinstall? I am not keen on doing this as it means restarting the server....which causes me a slight problem as I am accessing it remotely at the moment...
Single server... with a local database or remote? If it's a local (SQL 2005 or upgraded from MSDE) you're not going to be able to use/not going to want to use high availability. In BAS, you can find the HA components under your BB domain details on the left.

I'm almost positive that if you selected this server to be a high-availability server (two radio buttons at the top of that install screen with a check box underneath that specifies that you want this to be a high-availability server) you're going to end up with a non-functional server.

Yeah - might be a problem there with HA. Follow the whole "if you don't need the service, don't keep it running" philosophy. I'd re-run the installer and remove the HA components as well as anything else you don't need (such as MDS-IS?).

Any way this goes, you're looking at a reinstall of the software, reboots to match. Fortunately, the uninstall/reinstall works really well for BES/BAS 5.0...

- mike
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
voda_black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater View Post
Single server... with a local database or remote? If it's a local (SQL 2005 or upgraded from MSDE) you're not going to be able to use/not going to want to use high availability. In BAS, you can find the HA components under your BB domain details on the left.

I'm almost positive that if you selected this server to be a high-availability server (two radio buttons at the top of that install screen with a check box underneath that specifies that you want this to be a high-availability server) you're going to end up with a non-functional server.

Yeah - might be a problem there with HA. Follow the whole "if you don't need the service, don't keep it running" philosophy. I'd re-run the installer and remove the HA components as well as anything else you don't need (such as MDS-IS?).

Any way this goes, you're looking at a reinstall of the software, reboots to match. Fortunately, the uninstall/reinstall works really well for BES/BAS 5.0...

- mike
Single server with a local database - SQL 2005.Problem is I cant get into BAS to be able to see if it was configured for HA. I am pretty sure that I did not select HA - as I did not want to do it. However, given the situation, I think I have no choice but an uninstall re/install - will report back I guess when I have done so.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Single server with a local database - SQL 2005.Problem is I cant get into BAS to be able to see if it was configured for HA. I am pretty sure that I did not select HA - as I did not want to do it. However, given the situation, I think I have no choice but an uninstall re/install - will report back I guess when I have done so.
If you have no users on this machine, try to do a FULL reinstall, meaning: get rid of the SQL databases as they keep a helluva lot of info about a prior installation. If you need to do this, uninstall BES/BAS, then make sure that your SQL Express install is gone as well. Finally, made sure that any .mdb files for the SQL server are gone. I've seen reinstalls that picked up prior info from a prior install (very much more of a MS problem than a RIM problem).

- mike
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
voda_black

---

Last edited by voda_black; 05-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
KrisK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Run regedit and take a look at the BASDNSRoundRobinHostName in HKLM\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Administration Service.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
voda_black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK View Post
Run regedit and take a look at the BASDNSRoundRobinHostName in HKLM\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Administration Service.
points to besservername.domainname.local

if i ping it, pings to besservername
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
voda_black

could there be something in IIS that is blocking this connection or something?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #18
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
could there be something in IIS that is blocking this connection or something?
IIS is not used with BAS - it's a Tomcat server. Do you have the WWW service running on this machine?

- mike
Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
voda_black

IIS Admin Service is running. Web Client is disabled...Worldwide Web Publishing Service is started...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
IIS Admin Service is running. Web Client is disabled...Worldwide Web Publishing Service is started...
Might be your problem right there.

IIS and most definitely the web publishing service are not prereq's for BAS. If anything, I'd think that IIS is handling all of your inbound port 80 or 443 requests. I'd completely IIS since BAS uses Tomcat to serve all the Java applets/beans/whatever that BAS is built on top of.

- mike
Closed Thread