Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
fluidimagery
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES 5.0 - Page Can't be Displayed

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to get BES 5.0 up and running on an SBS 2003 environment. I've successfully installed 4.1 successfully dozens of times with no issues.

Now that BES 5 is using Tomcat and a web based interface I'm getting page can't be displayed while trying to access.

What I've tried to do is set two IPs to the current NIC (192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.6) I've assigned IIS to 1.5 only on all the available websites. All is well on the windows side.

I've then edited the server.xml file in the RIM installation directory to bind to 192.168.1.6 and changed the HTTPS directory in the server configuration app to 663 so there's no conflict with the default SSL port when it comes time to push the port through. I've also added an A record in the windows DNS to point to the 1.6 IP for the URL.

I think the issue has to do with the binding of specific IP to tomcat but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
SEP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: -

i'm not sure on the above but I've done a fresh install, exchange with remote sql. I am also getting page cannot be displayed when accessing the admin service . somehow i feel web only access is a bad idea.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
siemp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Just to be sure when others view this thread :

View Document
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
sweater
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T, tMobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidimagery View Post
I'm trying to get BES 5.0 up and running on an SBS 2003 environment. I've successfully installed 4.1 successfully dozens of times with no issues.
Sorry for the caveat, but almost positive BES 5.0 is not supported on SBS2003 or 2008 for the very reason of the default web server setup in SBS vs. the GUI admin app for 4.1.x. You're definitely going to be going down the road of troubleshooting why Tomcat's not getting requests vs. IIS...

- mike
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
fluidimagery
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

yup, I've given up for now. I spent 3 hours on the phone with BES support trying many different things. The BAS service continues to crash every 2 minutes with connection refused to the java applet.

Back to 4.1 for now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

If you are using a names SQL instance, you will need to set dynamic port instead of static 1433. Try that.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
voda_black
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
If you are using a names SQL instance, you will need to set dynamic port instead of static 1433. Try that.
My SQL was running on a different port than the default 1433. I therefore had to change the SQL port. Also, because I had IIS running on the server also, I had to change my 443 port in BES to - say 663. This was done with BES services off. Then, restarted the services and to login to BAS, i had to put in https://fqdn:663/webconsole/login.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voda_black View Post
My SQL was running on a different port than the default 1433. I therefore had to change the SQL port. Also, because I had IIS running on the server also, I had to change my 443 port in BES to - say 663. This was done with BES services off. Then, restarted the services and to login to BAS, i had to put in https://fqdn:663/webconsole/login.
You shouldn't need to explicitly specify your defined port in the URL if you do this:-

HKLM\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database
If you are using static port Then
Port = 663
Else If you are using dynamic port Then
DynamicSQLPort = 663
End If
Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default Pita!!!!

Well I'm back from WES and have been attempting to get BES 5 installed and running. BES compotents are installed and appear to be functioning. BAS is not. All I get is "The Page Cannot be Found" error.

Called T-Support and thought the isse was IIS was messed up so I tore everything out and reinstalled IIS and BAS. Still nothing. Is there any documentation on how to configure BAS in IIS?

I have to agree that web based does seem to have a new level of complication and skill set needed. I am not strong at all in IIS / ASP type stuff.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
noname

To troubleshoot issues with the BAS webconsole, you first need to understand that:-

(1) it is a SSL website (https i.e.)
(2) it requires that you install the SSL certificate + a set of ActiveX components from RIM when you are prompt for the first time when you access it on a web client like the Internet Explorer.

For you to realize No. (1), you need to pass No. (2) first. To complete No. (2), your browser needs to allow downloading of script files and ActiveX prompt for components installation. If you are not web savvy, my suggestion would be to enable all ActiveX items and script downloading options for your Internet Explorer under Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > Custom Levels for Internet and Local Intranet.

Also check if your computer has "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration" installed. Remove it as per this link: Disabling Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. Don't care about your browser security craps first, you can revisit them later. Anyway, it does more to lose your productivity instead of securing, you got lots of minor attacks on a daily basis anyway.

Once if above are cleared, the issues can be pretty much narrow down to some environment issues like another web server contenting with the default port 443 the BAS is using or your computer for BES has 2 NIC and hence 2 ip addresses and hence caused name resolution issues, wrong assignment of SQL static/dynamic ports, incorrect DNS record for the BES pool name and hence incorrect resolution issues etc etc... All these can be found by looking at the KB18185 which it consolidates all issues surrounding the page not found error:-

Article Title: BlackBerry Administration Service - Application Server service does not stay running or 'Page cannot be found' is presented when contacting the BlackBerry Administration Service web console
Article Number: KB18185
Link: View Document

Last edited by noname; 05-11-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: adding potential issues.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
noname

Adding

Right off the install/upgrade manual...

(1) Added as a trusted site or local intranet site
(2) The following settings turned on to support Microsoft® ActiveX®:
- Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls
- Download signed Microsoft ActiveX controls
- Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
- Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
(3) support for JavaScript®
(4) support for TLS or SSL
(5) the SSL certificate installed to permit trusted connections with the BlackBerry Administration Service
-(6) if using Windows Vista or Windows Server® 2008, the BlackBerry Administration Service web address added as a trusted site and Enable protected mode cleared