Entropy666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: 24311b91
Carrier: AT&T
Default Review: Free Chronograph / Timer For BlackBerry - BerryReview

Please Login to Remove!

Free Chronograph / Timer for BlackBerry - Created by Michael Hong - BerryReview
Original Review Link: Review: Free Chronograph / Timer For BlackBerry | BerryReview
Rating: 8.5/10
OTA: michaelportfolio.com/chrono/chrono.jad
Version: 0.92
Cost: Free!
Compatibility: OS 4.1 and higher

Well Michael Hong has done us all a service and released a very useful Stopwatch / Timer for free. This is really something I feel RIM should have built into every BlackBerry. There are one or two bugs and there is no real support page but you can get the program at the OTA link above. The program has quite a few features and works very well so read on for the review.

Installation: Installation can only be done over the air at this time. The install is around 23KB so don't worry to much about data transfer charges if you are on pay as you go. There is no real support page but you can really figure out the program by yourself. There are no separate configuration options so I will go straight into the meat of the application.

Interface: The program is broken into two parts, the chronograph and the timer. You can change between the two of these by selecting the option you want in the drop down menu. You can see a screenshot of this above. By default you start in the chronograph setting.

Chronograph Usage: The chronograph is a simple and easy to use stopwatch. There is a start and reset button for you to control the chronograph. Below these buttons are the complete elapsed time and then the time for the current lap. You can then program another lap by clicking in on the lap button that shows up once you hit start. Every time you hit the lap button your time is recorded below in a ever growing column. The column shows the total elapsed time and the length of the recorded lap. Once you hit the stop button you have the option to copy the lap information into the clipboard using the copy to clipboard option in the menu.

Timer Usage: This is my favorite part of the application. There are a couple of preset options in the menu to count down from. You have Expresso which is 25 seconds. Then you have 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, and 60 minute preset intervals. You also have the option to create your own intervals.

A nice feature is that you can set up to two additional alarms for the timer. For example you can make it alert you when there is 5 minutes left and 1 minute left. This is completely user customizable. There is also the option to choose from around 20 different alerts. Sadly there is no option to use ringtones and mp3's that you have on your device. You also have the option to choose your alert based on vibration, tone, or vibration+tone together. This kind of rounds out the application. The application also stays open if you have a current timer or chronograph running and you hit the back button twice.

Currently there is a bug that if the time is updated on the BlackBerry while the program is running it will mess up the count. This is not a big bug but can get in the way if you have auto time update with your desktop or carrier. The other bug I noticed is that the talk and end buttons are supposed to start and stop the countdown. The talk button does start the countdown but the end button exits the application. Neither of these are biggies so you can more or less disregard them.

Pros:
  • FREE!
  • Stopwatch with lap feature and ability to copy to clipboard
  • Timer with preset values and dual alarms
Cons:Conclusion: The software is quite good for a free unsupported piece of software. Personally I would count it in league with the rest of the freeware must have software for BlackBerry such as bbweather and bbtoday. I think many people will find it useful and I really think RIM should consider integrating such functionality into the OS. Give the Chronograph / Timer a spin and report back what you think.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
akg

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just downloaded this app and I am very impressed. It is a great looking piece of software and the functionality looks good too. I haven't played around with it very much yet so I'll report back any comments/concerns I may have after getting a chance to use it a little more.

I bet the developer could make a good alarm program with multiple alarms. RIM fell short on this app and the only alternative that I am aware of is MultiAlarm (or something like that) which has mediocre functionality but costs a whopping $30 (for an alarm !?!). I would be willing to pay for a good alarm program. Oh well, just an idea. Keep up the good work!

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A

I installed it and it looks great. The one thing I notice is that I need to hit the escape key twice to exit out of it unlike the other applications.

David
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
silimtao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

Great little app. Nothing like freeware (I love free!), but freeware that does the job. I often put my kid "on the clock" to get him off the tv/video game, and this seems to fit the bill very nicely.

I agree that RIM should have integrated this into their OS, but thanks to the generosity of developers who are willing to release their hard work to the public for free, it's a moot point.

PS: I can't close the app using the escape key; I have to use menu>close. No big deal.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
akg

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc

^^ This may be intentional so that we don't accidentally escape and turn off the timer.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Entropy666

PIN: 24311b91

Yes the double escape seems to actually be a feature

AKG: in regards to a free alarm application check out MyAlarm
MyAlarm - Multiple BlackBerry Alarms For Free! | BerryReview
Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
silimtao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg View Post
^^ This may be intentional so that we don't accidentally escape and turn off the timer.
Makes sense, now that I think about it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
biggdogg40509
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 247B16AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy666 View Post
Yes the double escape seems to actually be a feature

AKG: in regards to a free alarm application check out MyAlarm
MyAlarm - Multiple BlackBerry Alarms For Free! | BerryReview
a couple of my users are in need of an hourly reminder type deal, and they are currently using 7520's with 4.o/or 4.1 OS so the MyAlarm is not an option, but i just dl'ed this free timer/chrono app on my 7100i with OS4.1 and seems ok. i wonder if Nextel has an updated OS available..
must check.
Thanks for this app info.
PIN: 247B16AC
Xbox Gamertag:biggdogg40509
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
smithysk8r

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Newb Error on pearl verizon

I get an error : Application terminated: Chronograph has been denied "Media Access" Permission.
I did not see anything in other poses. Is there something I am missing?
Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
aabshire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks I was looking for something like this
Old 07-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
tonyjschroeder

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Great app and good for the hard of viewing!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
b_ohare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Default Can't hear alarm

Cool app but I can't even hear the alarm when it goes off and my volume is set at its highest. How do you increase the volume?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Great app...Thanks!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
swhiteh3

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Great app, but does anyone know of a similar program with a LAP feature, so you can stop the timer and simultaneously start the next timer? My primary application is motorsports, so this is rather critical. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
tmspitz

Model: 8110
Carrier: att

I very much want a timer/stopwatch feature, but can't do OTA. I don't have a data plan. Is there any way to install this through USB???

Any advice?

thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
sickens

Model: 9630
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hey folks,

I've got a desktop .alx installer for those of you who don't want to install it OTA - and since Michael Hong's Chronograph OTA link has been broken for the past few weeks, I'm sure there are others who may want it too.

Before my 8800 died the other day, I managed to back-up all my third party applications (including Chronograph) so I simply created the .alx file for the one Chronograph application from there. I created step-by-step instructions on my blog, but since I don't have 10 posts I can't insert a direct link - but feel free to PM me if you'd like the link to the file!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #17
mitzfield

Model: 8330
Carrier: bell

Looking to get the Chronograph link posted by sickens. What does "PM" me mean?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
vinny9000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

PM mean Private Message