Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
rnantel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Keyboard options for a Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased my first Blackberry, a Storm. I'd like to connect a folding or roll-up type keyboard to it to be able to work during long flights. A few questions:

What bluetooth keyboards work with the Storm?

Alternately, are there keyboards that connect to the device using the mini USB port?

Lastly, just an observation: I'm surprised that Google searches for keyboards for Blackberries yield so few results. It seems like this device would be a great replacement to carrying a laptop around if most of what one does is writing.

I've used a Palm PDA with keyboard like this for years, to the envy of fellow travelers who find themselves without laptop battery power three hours into a six-hour flight.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
rnantel

Not a single reply to this post. (Sigh)

Will I not be able to attach a folding keyboard to this device?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Look at the freedom keyboard.
Freedom Accessories Product Range

You best bet.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

To be honest, I just use my built-in keyboard to type messages on flights. I'm pretty fast with it, so it works just fine for me. I hit the ground, power on the radio, and off they go.

If I need to type something long, I type it on my laptop and tether when I hit the ground or send at the hotel. The battery is not an issue for me. Hardcore road warriors like me have extended batteries or extra batteries and/or aircraft/auto power adapters. An external keyboard for my phone is just an extra thing I don't need in my bag.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Freedom keyboard will almost certainly work on the Storm; It works very well on my 8830. dc/dc, I agree with you in large part. The only disagreement is that the folding Freedom keyboard lets me ditch the laptop on about 67% of my trips. Of course, your experience/requirements might be different.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
The Freedom keyboard will almost certainly work on the Storm; It works very well on my 8830. dc/dc, I agree with you in large part. The only disagreement is that the folding Freedom keyboard lets me ditch the laptop on about 67% of my trips. Of course, your experience/requirements might be different.
I have to have the laptop since I am a network engineer. I've made short trips without it, but normally I need it.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
rnantel

I bring my laptop on these trips because I will often need it for work while on the road, at the hotel, etc. But, the battery life of my laptop is so low (2.5 hours max) that I can spend my time on the plane writing, answering e-mails (saving them to send upon landing), etc.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I have to have the laptop since I am a network engineer. I've made short trips without it, but normally I need it.
I thought as much. I do like leaving the weight behind when I can.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I thought as much. I do like leaving the weight behind when I can.
Me too. I used to also have a netbook that I used to carry with me instead of my laptop sometimes but the battery on that was absolute poo.

I NEVER take my laptop on vacation.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
rnantel

I called Freedom today to see where I could get a Freedom Universal Keyboard 2. I experienced the best customer service ever (thanks Cameron). 30 minutes later, I had one in hand. Amazing.

So, I'm configuring it tonight.

My next post may be typed on a bluetooth keyboard.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
SteveO86

Cool, let us know how you like it.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
rnantel

Here's an update on my purchase of the Freedom 2 keyboard. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. My Blackberry pairs with the keyboard but can never connect. I have a ticket in at the Freedom Web site.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
rnantel

FYI, here's a reply from Freedom, which unfortunately didn't work for me. Perhaps someone else will benefit.

If you can please follow the steps below which will go through and reset any pairings and will fix the problem.

Checking the settings and clearing paired settings:
1) Switch the keyboard to SPP mode and remove the batteries.
2) On the BlackBerry go into the Bluetooth keyboard software and uncheck both boxes.
3) Go to Options or Settings (icon that looks like a monkey wrench)
4) Highlight Advanced Options press screen in
5) Then highlight Applications press screen in, a application list will build.
6) It should say at the top Blackberry 4.7 Core Applications, highlight this and press the MENU button (spotty button next to green answer button) and MODULES
7) At the top will be Btkbd42 or Freedom_Uni, highlight and then press the MENU button(spotty button) then Edit Permissions.
8) Highlight Custom on the Interaction section and press the MENU button(spotty button) then Expand.
9) In the list should be Input Simulation, is it set still to Deny if so change to Allow. Click the Back button it will ask to Save changes highlight yes and continue.
10) Now go back to the Main application menu (the one with all the icons on) and go back to settings/options (the one that looks like a wrench).
11) Go to Bluetooth. Make sure on the top left it says bluetooth enabled. If it is not enabled press the menu button and select "enabled bluetooth".
12) On the same screen highlight the keyboard on the list of paired devices, press the menu button and select "delete device". When asked if you really want to delete it hit delete again.
13) Leave the BlackBerry turned on and remove the battery from it (just for a few seconds).

Reconnecting the keyboard:
1) Put the battery back in the BlackBerry and power it up (its normal for it to take a couple of minutes so don't worry if it seems to be taking a long time).
2) Put the batteries back in the keyboard. Make sure the switch is to the left and the green light is flashing next to it.
3) On the BlackBerry go back to Options/Settings and then Bluetooth.
4) Press the menu button and select "add device"
5) It should come up "searching for devices" once it has finished select "keyboard" from the list.
6) When it asks for the passkey enter 0000 on the BlackBerry and click the trackball.
7) Now the keyboard is under the paired devices list, if you highlight this then press the Menu button and select device properties.
8) Check to see if under services it says SPP slave, if it doesn't then press the Menu button then select Refresh Service List.
9) SPP Slave should appear under services.
10) Go into the Bluetooth keyboard software again and just tick the Activate keyboard checkbox.
11) Now you should see the keyboard status change to "connecting" and after a few moments "connected".
12) Once the keyboard status says "connected" check the "reconnection" check box as well.
13) Now scroll down to where it says "keyboard test" and try and type on the keyboard. What you type should appear in this box.

That should be the keyboard connected and running. When you have finished with the keyboard just set the switch on it to the centre (off) position. When you want to use it again switch it back to the left and wait a few seconds. The BlackBerry will automatically reconnect and you can then just use it. You do not need to go into the Bluetooth keyboard software again to activate it.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
rnantel

OK, this has been the most surreal experience. After hours of trying to debug this problem, I called my carrier, Bell Canada. Tech support there says they block bluetooth for everything except voice. Consequently, no bluetooth keyboard will every work.

I'm looking to cancel my contract and go with another carrier. I'll never deal with them again.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
SteveO86

.. Hmm a carrier can Block BT connections?

Wasn't they would do that.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
OK, this has been the most surreal experience. After hours of trying to debug this problem, I called my carrier, Bell Canada. Tech support there says they block bluetooth for everything except voice. Consequently, no bluetooth keyboard will every work.

I'm looking to cancel my contract and go with another carrier. I'll never deal with them again.
That doesn't sound right to me. There would have been other reports regarding that keyboard by now.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
chrisnewell

Model: 8330
Carrier: telus

I use the Freedom2 on my Curve with Telus, and there were a few tricks to getting it to work and stay working.
- I was always able to download the driver on the Curve, but it would only ever type very slowly; when I connected hardwire and installed via Vista, it works just fine.
- there are a couple of settings in the 'mode' that need to be changed (manual explains them), but I had to make those changes a few times before they 'stuck'
- when I had to re-install driver, it didn't overwrite or remove the original one, so that caused conflicts
- updating Curve software erased the changes made to the 'mode' setting.
- Now, I use it everywhere, and leave my laptop at home 50% of the time. Especially when taking courses or blogging during my son's hockey practise it is killer useful.

To start it up, just switch it on and then click 'connect' in the keyboard icon on Curve and it's off and running. HTH
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #18
Ben_1959

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I'm new to the board, and came here because a search turned up rnantel's post. I bought the Universal Keyboard2 to use with a Storm and was receiving the same error. (Verizon is my carrier). Thanks to your post, though, it's up and running. Thanks! Did you ever get it to work with yours?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
rnantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_1959 View Post
Did you ever get it to work with yours?
Yes, I got it to work. I returned my Blackberry Storm and my keyboard and replaced both with new ones. After a lot of tinkering, it finally worked.

I love the combo. On a recent seven-hour flight from Europe, I used my Blackberry to write three long blog posts. My laptop battery would have died half-way over the Atlantic.
Closed Thread