BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 PM   #61
7290er

Model: 7290
Question spin-dizzy

Please Login to Remove!

are you experiencing this in an enclosed vehicle or with open road noise?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #62
spin-dizzy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Enclosed vehicle, but bear in mind that it's a 12 year old vehicle, so it's hardly a perfectly sealed environment or a particularly quiet ride. Since posting the above, I've noticed that the volume and quality are much better when the other party is on a land line and not another cell. I still haven't tried the unit with encryption off...in fact, this posting has reminded me to give that a try. I'll amend the post above in the next few days after experimenting.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #63
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJack
Is anyone aware of a good Bluetooth headset that is not "over the ear" but goes over the head. I have been flamed in other forums for asking this question, but I wear glasses and find it very uncomfortable without a head band. Currently I have a Plantronics wired headset and everytime I see one in a store and ask the reps indicate they sell real well so I can not be the only one.
Check this link at Tiger Direct:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...oth%20headsets

ULT31838 3. Ultra Bluetooth / MP3 Player / FM Tuner Headset
This 4-in-1 is an MP3 player, FM radio, SD media port and cellular Bluetooth headset - all rolled into one.

I don't know anything about it, and it could be overkill for what you want, but it definitely is a "headband" unit!

Good luck.

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 12-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #64
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I would be careful ordering anything from Tiger Direct. They are less than a reputable company in my opinion and based on my experience with them. However, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #65
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Tiger Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I would be careful ordering anything from Tiger Direct. They are less than a reputable company in my opinion and based on my experience with them. However, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
In the interest of being fair, I appreciate barjohn's candid evaluation, but would like to add my comments. No vendor is perfect 100% of the time, and I'm sure that people very well may have had bad experiences with almost any vendor in existance. In my own personal experience, I've purchased many items from Tiger Direct over the past several years, and I've found the merchandise, service, and shipping to be nothing short of splendid in every single instance, without exception. In fact, of all the on-line vendors I've patronized, I'd say Tiger Direct has to be the very best of its kind with which I've ever dealt.

True: "...you pays your money and you takes your chances." That's the case with EVERY vendor out there! Internet, brick-and-mortar, whatever!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 12-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #66
barjohn

I am generally very reluctant to say negative things about a vendor unless I see a pattern of more than a single instance or despite repeated attempts to resolve an issue the vendor fails to communicate or take any action. I shop at Nordstrum's not becasue they are the least expensive but because I know that if I am dissatisfied for any reason they will gladly take the merchandise back and refund me my money. That is worth something to me. About 6 months ago, Tiger Direct had an add for a Bluetooth headset at a very attractive price and several of us on this forum placed orders, in some cases for multiple units. Not only did Tiger Direct ship the wrong merchandise to some, they cancelled the orders for others and in general failed to respond to repeated requests for communcations.

Below is the Better Business Bureau Report:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Nature of Business

The company offers computers, computer equipment and other electronics via mail order catalog, website and shopping service with infomercials.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a pattern of unanswered complaints.

Specifically our files show a pattern of complaints alleging dissatisfaction with product quality, failure to deliver promised goods, service issues, misrepresentation in advertising and marketing practices and the failure to address and overcome the basic cause of complaints brought to their attention by the Better Business Bureau.

Complaints allege customers are led to believe they are buying new, Brand Name computer systems, parts and other products with either a 90-day, or 1 year warranty. Complainants allege they are receiving generic, defective and refurbished items and only a 30-day warranty with the option to purchase the 1-year warranty. Customers who purchase the warranty also experience difficulty in getting return phone calls to get the problems fixed or replaced. Customer are told they may return the items for replacement, but they will need to pay again for the replacement and will credited back when the item is returned and received by the company.

Some of the complaints have issues with the advertised rebate, both the catalog and web site have numerous offers for items with a mail-in rebate. Upon receiving the products the rebate application is not included in the package. Customers are told the rebate application is on the website and customers are required to comply with the program and submit paperwork that they never received. Many are denied because the product they have purchased does not have the advertised rebate, the rebate has expired, and some rebates are only good if the item is purchased with a computer. Many customers feel they have been victims of bait and switch, and are unable to return the products because the package has been open. Customers who have contacted customer service with concerns have problem with getting return calls, emails, and experience unresponsiveness and unconcerned customer service staff. However, the company has responded to most complaints presented by the Bureau.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

29941 consumers have requested a reliability report on this company in the past 36 months.

Closed Complaints
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 36 Months: 914
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 304

Complaints Concerned
Advertising Issues: 76
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 67; Delayed Resolution: 5; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 4

Sales Issues: 117
Resolved: 100; Delayed Resolution: 11; Company made
good faith effort to Resolve: 3; Company did not respond: 3

Delivery Issues: 114
Resolved: 88; Delayed Resolution: 21; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 2; Company did not respond: 3

Repair or Service Issues: 17
Resolved: 13; Unresolved: 1; Delayed Resolution: 1;
Company made good faith effort to Resolve: 2

Guarantee or Warranty Issues: 62
Resolved: 41; Delayed Resolution: 16; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 2; Company did not respond: 3

Product Quality Issues: 87
Resolved: 57; Delayed Resolution: 26; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 4

Refund or Exchange Issues: 232
Resolved: 120; Unresolved: 2; Delayed Resolution: 103;
Company made good faith effort to Resolve: 4; Company did
not respond: 3

Contract Issues: 9
Resolved: 7; Delayed Resolution: 2

Customer Service Issues: 109
Resolved: 68; Delayed Resolution: 26; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 4; Company did not respond: 11

Credit or Billing Issues: 91
Resolved: 65; Delayed Resolution: 23; Company made good
faith effort to Resolve: 3
------------------------------------------------------
In other words, with all due respect, one users good experience does not make them a good company either.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #67
tmj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I should warn you that while I haven't tested the Scala 500 my real world experience with a friend that has one calling me is that the audio was often choppy and unintelligble and I would have to make him switch to the phone so that I could hear and understand him. Others have had similar experience. The good news is it is cheap!
Barjohn,

perhaps your friend got a defective unit. I've had mine about a month, and it is the clearest sound I've found yet. Granted, I'm comparing it to HS820 and 850, which are, in my opinion, garbage. The 820 sounds okay, but I can't keep it on my head (I wear glasses) and it's way to easy to trigger the last call redial. The 850 is nice in that you can't accidentaly call, but it's worse to keep attached and the volume is lousy. The Scala fits my ear well, is comfortable, loud, and clear as a bell in a heavy-use situation (3-4 hours per day). Battery life is excellent. Maybe you should break down and test one. Everyone here takes your reviews as gospel (for obvious reasons), so I'd like the Scala to get a fair shake.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #68
barjohn

tmj, as you might imagine I get lots of requests to test a particular unit. The problem is I can't afford to purchase and test all of the units requested. Nor can I, at this time, afford the time it would take. I try to select units that have something unique going for them and that I think prospective buyers would like information on before making a purchase. At this point in time the manufacturers don't see me as having a large enough audience to want to send me evaluation units. That may change in the future which would facilitate my reviewing more units. If you search this thread, the threads on HoFo and Pdaphonehome for the Scala 500 you will find many opinions that vary all over the place. Right now I am trying to get a Plantronics D640 to test because, in general Plantronics make good quality units, it claims to have good noise cancellation and it is an in ear mount which are valuable to people that wear glasses. I have seen some mixed comments on this unit but nothing that makes me not want to test it yet.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #69
patrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VERIZON

I have a 7250. Recently purchased a Plantronics Discovery640 - I was very dissatisfied with the reception on the other end. Thinking that it was defective I returned it and got a second unit - same issue - so I sold it on Ebay for a fraction of the cost. I will go back to my Motorola HS820 for now.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #70
patrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VERIZON

Gave in to the reviews.... I just ordered a nXZEN™ PLUS Model 5500. I will report back.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #71
mcspeed

Model: 7130

BB7130 paired with Jabra BT350 V. Sound quality in both directions excellent. Volume is not loud enough. Hit or miss as to it pairing with my BB. Initial pairing fine but if I shut off the Jabra or separate the BB and Jabra for a while and try to re-pair it may work and it may not. Not sure if the problem is BT, BB or Jabra. Went back to the PITA wired earpiece.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #72
webbphoenix

Model: 6750
Default Who needs a headset?

This little device makes the BB cell phone conversations sound better when using it as a handset. http://www.speakerbuddy.com
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #73
icegrill

Model: 8100c
PIN: 23e9074f
Carrier: cingular
Angry

Can't get the HS850 to pair with my 7100g. This is very annoying.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #74
DaveDanger

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Default Nextel 7520 BT headset question

Alright guys, newbie to the forum and the World of Blackberry! An hour ago, I adopted a Nextel 7520 from fleabay, and am already shopping for bluetooth headsets... I'm looking pretty hard at the Jabra BT250. Anyone have any specific complaints about the BT250 with the 7520? Anything I need to watch out for while shopping? How about recommended prices and locations? So far about the best I've seen is $55.00 through www.unifiedcellular.com

Last edited by DaveDanger; 12-17-2005 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Forgot title
Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 AM   #75
epark21
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Default My 2 cents

I got the 8700c last month and have tried the following headsets below. My testing is not as thorough as BarJohns so this is just my general observation from general use.

1. Wired headset (in-line) that came w/it - good sound quality in, outbound mixed based on turning your head, etc. where the in-line mic is not in the general vicinity of the front of your mouth, plus the wires get in the way, however generally as good as just using the handset

2. Plantronics wired w/adjustable mike - good sound quality in, the outbound is also good w/ the built in noise cancellation which actually seems to work pretty well (better than just using the handset), but same problems w/ the wires getting in the way

3. Nextlink Bluespoon AX - good sound quality in, the outbound is surprising better than w/ my previous handset (nokia 6230) and equally as good as using the handset (8700), small size is a bonus, the only problem is that the bluetooth is always connected and I'm a bit worried about the 8700's battery life

4. Motorola H700 - just picked it up from Best Buy, good sound quality in, the size is almost as small as the AX when folded, and the outbound seems to be pretty good (as good as the handset), however the noise cancellation is not up to par as the wired plantronics, the best thing going for this headset besides the size is that when the boom is folded, the device turns off and the connection to the 8700 is turned off as well, so the battery life is conserved, plus I've only had the charge it once during last week (I'm a 3000 minute/month guy)

5. 2005 Acura TL - just threw this one in because some people were having problems w/ their RL, the bluetooth connection works fine and you get the incoming number, battery life and signal strength on the mini display

So, I'm keeping the H700 for the time being but will be doing further tests w/ the AX. I will also be doing some further tests w/ the other bluetooth devices in my collection - Nextlink Bluespoon Digital, Nextlink Bluespoon Special Edition (analog), and the Sony Ericsson HBH-300.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #76
NewYorkCito

Model: 8830
Carrier: SPRINT
Thumbs up Nextel Bb 7520 Motorola H300

Seasons Greetings:

I just upgraded from a Nextel 7510 to 7520. I paired it quickly and sucessfully with a Motorola H300 (supposedly replaces HS810) and then paired it successfully with my IPAQ HX4700. I am able to DC with it, although PTT must still be depressed. Audio is clear and callers are unable to discern that I am on a headset. Sleek design. Light and runs on a AAA battery. You don't have to wait for it charge to use. 30 hrs talk, 30 day standby.

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,109,00.html[/URL]
Old 12-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #77
marc996miami

Model: 8900

I have had 3 Motorolas and they all sucked the Vol level is terrible...picked up HBH 610 SE and I am blown away this is the best BT headset out IMHO
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #78
mcspeed

Model: 7130

Swapped out the Jabra BT350v for the BT250v which is an around the ear design (similar to some hearing aids) rather than the more common design that hangs primarily outside the ear. The 250 volume is much better since the speaker goes into the ear canal and the pairing is much better and more predictable than the 350. Although the 250 is louder than the 350, I do get some crackle that I didn't get with the 350. I would say the 250 sound quality is good vs. the 350 which is excellent. The volume on the 350 was so low I couldn't hear it in my car at e-way speed so the quality advantage was not enough to overcome the volume disadvantage. .

The mic seems to pick up my voice real well on the 250 even when talking at a very low level. The people I'm calling say the sound is real clear and the volume is good too. The 250 is a keeper for me.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #79
NewBee Wins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31B4F329
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (7100I: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Just got the plantronics 320. I like it so far.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:17 AM   #80
wog

Model: 7290
Default 7290 and Motorola H700

I posted this on the review thread... but I now see I probably should have posted it here instead. Copy below.

-------------------------------------------

Hi. I am new to this forum. Looks great. I am also brand new to BB and have a T-mobile 7290 running on BES. Just bought the Motorola H700, believing it to be compatible with the 7290 based on a couple of compatibility lists I found via google. However, it "chirps" in sync with the flash of the standby status light. I called the Motorola support desk, got a very helpful woman who said there have been some reports of such problem when paired with non-Motorola phones but she did not have a more definitive answer for me and she would have to get back to me. During the course of the call she did mention that it might be related to the fact that the H700 is BT v1.2 and my BB might be an older version.... it appears that the 7290 operates on BT v1.1 and so she might be onto something. Having said that, Motorola's packaging indicates the device pairs with v1.1 or v1.2.

So, my question is does anyone know anything in particular about this problem? Has anyone else paired the H700 with the 7290? Can the BT version be upgraded via download on the 7290? I would love to make it work out as I love the size of the H700 and the echo/noise reduction technology.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.
Closed Thread