Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Facebook 1.6 Default View

Please Login to Remove!

Facebook 1.6 defaults to the Status View, but 1.5 defaulted to the notifications. Is there any way to get 1.6 to default to the notifications? The way it is now, it is very annoying to have to wait for the status to update before it lets me move to notifications. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Why do you believe you have to wait? Scroll left or up so that the cursor is out of the text field for your status updates, and press the "N" key. FB should show you your notifications. If it doesn't, something is wrong on your end, because this is how it works for me, and I never need to wait for updates to finish loading before moving around the application.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I didn't know about the 'N' shortcut - thanks ifonline!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

You are correct, I don't have to wait for the updates to 'finish', but there is a definite response lag while the status updates are processing, which slows everything down. And you cannot press the 'N' unless you scroll up to the top first, which also lags.

On 1.5, the status updates did not start unless you went to that page. So I could open, read, and close my notifications much more quickly.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I didn't know about the 'N' shortcut - thanks ifonline!
No problem.

For those that weren't aware... if you scroll over the icons at the top of the screen and stop long enough, a message will appear telling you what the icon represents as well as the shortcut letter.

For reference:

View Status Updates: S
Notifications: N
Upload A Photo: U
Friends: F
Add A Friend: J
Write On A Wall: W
Send A Message: M

Also, when browsing photos, you can use traditional shortcuts such as "N" for next, "P" for previous, "F" or "T" for First/Top, and "L" or "B" for Last/Bottom.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 06-15-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by egruber View Post
YAnd you cannot press the 'N' unless you scroll up to the top first, which also lags.
No, you do not need to scroll to the top where the icons are. You just need to move the cursor out of the text field for your status update. One quick flick left and the cursor moves over your profile photo, or one quick flick down and the cursor moves over the "Share" link below the text field. Press "N" and you are taken to the Notifications.

Sorry if the delay is too long for you. There is no way to change what comes up first as far as I know. If you are having such significant lag that you can't even press a key on the keyboard, then something might just be wrong with your connection. I find FB slow, but not so slow/unresponsive that I feel encumbered when using it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
No, you do not need to scroll to the top where the icons are. You just need to move the cursor out of the text field for your status update. One quick flick left and the cursor moves over your profile photo, or one quick flick down and the cursor moves over the "Share" link below the text field. Press "N" and you are taken to the Notifications.

Sorry if the delay is too long for you. There is no way to change what comes up first as far as I know. If you are having such significant lag that you can't even press a key on the keyboard, then something might just be wrong with your connection. I find FB slow, but not so slow/unresponsive that I feel encumbered when using it.
I will try that. And it isn't terrible, just a lot more inconvenient. I open notifications much more often that Status. And you can't stop the status update unti it is done...so it slows all the navigation down...even if you branch elsewhere in the app.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I definitely agree with you that it's slower than I think it should be.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

It seems alot slower than when i was using 1.5.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
pantheon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Turkcell

I am using blackberry message box integration option for notifications now.. So I am clicking "M" :P
Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
cmuncan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
The only issue with Facebook v1.6 is that it sets the cursor by default in the status field. So the hotkeys are, in essence not hotkeys at all if you have to scroll first before using them.

ie. to go directly to the notifications screen, you can't just press the "N" key once the app is loaded, NO you have to move out of the text box for updating your status then press the "N" key

How dumb is that???

If at first you don't succeed, give up because if you can't do it right the first time, you'll never be able to do it!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Very true, except that those that use FB on the BB to do nothing but update their status would be complaining that it takes to much navigation just to update status if RIM revamped the initial cursor location. There is no way everyone will be satisfied.

I had been confortable using the hotkeys with 1.2, so it took a minute to get used to how 1.6 was designed. In the grand scheme of things, though, I don't consider it a big deal. I am now used to navigating with 1.6.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuncan View Post
The only issue with Facebook v1.6 is that it sets the cursor by default in the status field. So the hotkeys are, in essence not hotkeys at all if you have to scroll first before using them.

ie. to go directly to the notifications screen, you can't just press the "N" key once the app is loaded, NO you have to move out of the text box for updating your status then press the "N" key

How dumb is that???
Precisely. That's my beef. Facebook more or less locks up the navigation while it fetches the updates, so you have to keep flicking the trackball until you can get out of the text box to select navigation. And reading the notifications is also sluggish because the status updates are still running. There is no way to stop them.

It would have been OK if the status updates were held until you pressed the 'S' like it used to.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Cravenfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I was kinda bummed by the delay also, just tried the scroll and "N" and it worked great!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Spovik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only status updates i care about are the ones I reply to or if i'm bored I'll read others. FB Mobile doesn't hide people i've hidden on my compuers news feed either.

I'll probably go back to 1.5 since there are no gains at all for me with 1.6. Not like it would have been hard to code an option where the user can choose their peferred start up screen, or remember the last one they were on...
Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
cjbiom
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: Dont Know

My main issue with the new facebook is that when you bring the menu up on an image you can't save it, or view full size anymore. Does anyone know why this is?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
The only status updates i care about are the ones I reply to or if i'm bored I'll read others. FB Mobile doesn't hide people i've hidden on my compuers news feed either.

I'll probably go back to 1.5 since there are no gains at all for me with 1.6. Not like it would have been hard to code an option where the user can choose their peferred start up screen, or remember the last one they were on...
Where can you get 1.5? Wasn't it pulled when 1.6 was released?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by egruber View Post
Where can you get 1.5? Wasn't it pulled when 1.6 was released?
I regularly do backups of my third party apps (see the thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html)... just for the ability to fall back to an older version of an application. I have successfully recovered older versions of several apps and continue to run the older versions. It's probably not possible to find v1.5 of Facebook anywhere else at this point.

Last edited by fonejunkie; 07-06-2009 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
fonejunkie
Just me

RIM released the newest FaceBook app - updated to 1.6.0.21, but still not fix for the default view...

BlackBerry Instant Messaging Clients Updated | BlackBerry Cool

downloading now...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
fonejunkie
Just me

There may be a problem... got this error trying to comment on a friends status... wtf?

UPDATE:

After further review, it appears that the problem I reported here may be related to a single FaceBook friend who is posting via text messaging and a non-BB device... I have had trouble posting to her wall/commenting on her posts previously... and this appears to be a coincidence - the first post with the new update was on her comments. I have not seen the error on any other FB friend, so chalk it up to a bad coincidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture on 07-06-2009 20-07-21.jpg (28.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by fonejunkie; 07-06-2009 at 11:44 PM..
Closed Thread