BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
sfla99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Potential screen issue with stock 8700 holster.

Please Login to Remove!

Well I just noticed a flaw that has me worries at the moment since their is not much one can do in a quick fashion regarding the 8700 and cases.

I just noticed in the very center of my screen a small ding as if you took a needle and slightly pressed it into the screen, a divit of sorts, its small but there. Now I just took the protective film off yesterday since I decided I like the device and plan to keep ut.

I started wondering where this mark actually came from and it seems it has been caused by the stock case. if you look inside of your holster and notice the center of the swivel there is a small indentation in the very center. on mine if I take my finger and graze it over the center of the swivil from inside of the case, there is a small point I can feel from where the plastic was cut away when creating the swivel I guess.

This small sharp object is in the exact same point as where the 8700 screen has its small indent. So it appears that normal pressure during the day was enough for the sharp edge inside the holster to cause the soft screens plastic to absorb the sharp point and create this small issue in the screen.

Not a major deal but something to consider, check your holsters all and make sure you have no rough edges.

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
knoppe01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I noticed the same thing and was concerned as well. What I did was to apply 2 of those "green felt" round pads that are meant to protect furniture from pottery. You don't see them when holstered and they are protective.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the heads up sfl. I have the same little point of plastic in my holster. I haven't used my holster a lot just yet, but will need to after the first of the year. I've been watching the blackberry.com site looking for the OEM leather holster. Barring that, I'll just use the great suggestion of knoppe01.

Last edited by mriff; 12-15-2005 at 05:02 PM..
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: at&t

just checked my holster and found the same point...i took some sandpaper i had lying around (not sure of the grit) and did a light sand job on it...smooth as can be now.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Even if your screen doesn't pit, it will scratch and scuff over time. I definitely recommend applying a screen protector.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Good heads up. However, mine seems to be pretty smoothed out, and my screen is clear. Probably just minor manufacturing issues in how the plastic molds were cut...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:06 AM   #7
bb8700user2

Model: 8700

Please pardon the ignorance of a newbie, but I kinda assumed that the bb was put into its holster with the keys/screen out-facing...and the magnet on the holster nestled up against the back of the unit. Am I wrong in this assumption? (It would be more protective to have the bb face in.) Should the magnet be close to the keypad? or is it just that the magnet should be nearby and the side it's close to doesn't matter?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8700user2
Please pardon the ignorance of a newbie, but I kinda assumed that the bb was put into its holster with the keys/screen out-facing...and the magnet on the holster nestled up against the back of the unit. Am I wrong in this assumption? (It would be more protective to have the bb face in.) Should the magnet be close to the keypad? or is it just that the magnet should be nearby and the side it's close to doesn't matter?
The screen and keyborad should face inward. It really doesn't fit in the holster properly with the screen facing out
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
b00st3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnol
The screen and keyborad should face inward. It really doesn't fit in the holster properly with the screen facing out
it will fit the other way, it just doesnt snap in like with the keys faced in.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
514HH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks for the heads up sfla99. I just got my 8700 on Thursday and thanks to the useful advice on these boards, I've been able to get very comfortable with it quickly.

I have a bunch of leftover Palm screen protectors after having applied one to my 8700, so when I read your post and felt the same on my holster, I placed one of the leftover protectors on the inside of my holster, underneath the grip and it seems to be the perfect solution to many of the holster concerns.

Now, there are 2 layers in between the surface of the holster and my screen (protector on each) and concerns of the silver bezel scratching or fading are no longer a concern.

I still may purchase a material holster when there are a few more available on the market, however for now, this works beautifully!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #11
saldous

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

My holster doesn't appear to have this problem.
Closed Thread