MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

This is from the manual about BIS.
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...71960&vernum=0

Email messages that you open or delete on your BlackBerry® device might be marked automatically as opened or marked automatically as deleted in your integrated email account. Generally, changes that you make to email messages in your integrated email account are not reflected on your device.

I think the bit in bold explains the whole situation.

so if a mail client downloads the message, this is not reflected on a BB.
Only changes made on a BB are reflected on the mail server.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 08-16-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #22
GNemes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

Delete on: Handheld

Wireless Reconcile: On

On Conflicts: Mailbox wins

KEWL! -- I'm waiting with baited breath ... right after I take a shower! lol
Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Answer is above.
And you wont like it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #24
GNemes

So ... am I understanding that if the message is marked as "read" on the BB, and it's gone from the server, then it'll disappear from the BB (be deleted)when the next reconcile appears?

I'll watch that, but I don't think that's happening either ........
Old 08-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

no.
changes made to the email server are not reflected on the BB.

i.e. you have a copy of an email on your BB.
and email client downloads it off the server.
that is NOT reflected on the BB AT ALL.

the only changes reflected are those made BY the BB TO the server.

Its a ONE way sync from BB to mail server.
It cannot sync from mail server to BB.

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 08-16-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #26
GNemes

Sigh .. you're right. I don't like it. Seems backwards.

I need to think about how I use this thing a bit now. This has really taken me by surprise as I thought I'd covered "how" this was supposed to work with other BB users. I mistakenly assumed that the Tour would work similarly to the Curve.

For a business-based product, it seems screwy to me. Most of what I've seen so far is centered around the more casual user such as cameras, videos, photos, music, and the like.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No.
Its a solid business product, but a business would have a BES (enterprise server) which can do what you want.
BIS was designed to give push email to personal users, as the market began to see more personal users.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I know you said you are on Comcast. Would it be to hard to change to Gmail? Also Gmail can pull mail from most ISP's. Or maybe you can get an e-mail host? They don't charge that much. Well I am just thinking of ideas for you. Also you might want to check and see if Comcast has a setting to help you you? Maybe look at comcast forms for help? Well good luck
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #29
G8TQH

Carrier: Three UK

As lostman22 said: try changing to gmail. It's free, it can grab mail from your other servers and (big plus) its client software knows how to reconcile mail properly!! Delete from the web client, mail goes from the BB and vice versa. The only "problem" I have with it is that I can't find a way to move mails into sub-mailboxes with the BB - I have to use a "real" client or the web interface for that.

Using the BB client via BIS to a mail service is a real pain in certain parts of the anatomy. Mails that were deleted by a real client -- like my spam finder on my home PC -- stay on the BB. It doesn't seem to know how to spell reconcile, let alone do it.

And more: I know that my mail services have IMAP available as well as POP, yet the BIS seems to go for the POP service - so I can't see my (server) mailboxes!

I'm finding more and more that my Bold is not much good as a portable device. It can't do mail right. It can't sync properly with my iCal and address book (on a mac). I can't load apps easily into it without a PC. I could go on. BUT I will keep persevering.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #30
GNemes

Thanks for the thoughts about gmail. I dunno. I don't have any real love for comcast, but it's the address used on all of my business stuff -- cards, advertising, etc. and has been for several years. It's pretty deeply entrenched. I'd need to do a forward to a gmail account or something else for it to make sense.

I'm still very disappointed with the Tour. I expected so much more. It appears from the what I've learned on this forum that the BB platform is great if you're big business, but not so much if you're small.

I again touched base today with other BB users ... none of them have the Tour. They're all Curve users. They have more functionality in some ways ... such as reconcile ... than I have. We all use Outlook 2007. They can reconcile, I can't.

One of the gals with the World Edition has a true and full call log plus true reconcile. I have neither.

One of them with the Curve is limited to storing 10 calls on her call log then they start dropping off. She's back to commingling her calls with her other messages, which she also hates.

I've now hidden the message folder and have only my e-mail folder.

I'm using the green phone button for my call log, but I still can't tell when I have a missed call.

Sounds are difficult.

Voicemail is tricky too. I can't always tell when I have a message. And there appears to be only one voicemail tone alert given.

The trackball is only so-so. Editing the phone number in a contact list is very difficult as the I-beam bounces all over the place. Nearly impossible to get it to stay put long enough to edit a number.

I'm sorry that I didn't give more thought to the touch screen, although the Storm wasn't an option and I heard nothing but problem reports about it anyway.

Overall, I'm finding this to be a marginal machine for everyday use. But it appears that I'm stuck with the thing for the next two years.

I hope someone at BBerry really rethinks some of their functionality and useability choices with this thing.

Business use needs to be targeted to folks outside of BES. There are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of small business owners that use resources other than ES. And we're very efficient with them.

So ... I'll be a voice against the purchase of a Blackberry for every small business owner I know that also uses Outlook on their computer w/o the use of Exchange Server.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 AM   #31
G8TQH

Carrier: Three UK
Default Gmail as an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNemes View Post
Thanks for the thoughts about gmail. I dunno. I don't have any real love for comcast, but it's the address used on all of my business stuff -- cards, advertising, etc. and has been for several years. It's pretty deeply entrenched. I'd need to do a forward to a gmail account or something else for it to make sense.
On GMail's "settings" page you can use the "Accounts and import" tab to set up various things. Including the address your mail appears to be sent from and other e-mail accounts from which to grab e-mail (using POP) and put into GMail for you. It's therefore relatively easy to keep your comcast address, but do all the work with GMail instead.

I sympathise with your problems you're having with your BB. But it's not just related to a single type of handset!! Mine's a Bold and I have a load of issues with it too. Other than being unable to get software to do what I want, what makes my position more frustrating is that I don't get good cell signal at home and this thing seems to require good cell signal before it will work over WiFi -- you explain it!

I only want simple things in the software list -- something to synchronise my contacts and calendar ON MY MAC; something to tell me about the shops and facilities around me; Skype; the Daily Telegraph; a shopping list application; and a high quality scientific calculator.

So far, the only things that I seem to have found that are any good on my BB are Google Maps (with Latitude); the GMail client and GoogleTalk!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #32
lostman72

Quote:

I'm still very disappointed with the Tour. I expected so much more. It appears from the what I've learned on this forum that the BB platform is great if you're big business, but not so much if you're small.

I again touched base today with other BB users ... none of them have the Tour. They're all Curve users. They have more functionality in some ways ... such as reconcile ... than I have. We all use Outlook 2007. They can reconcile, I can't.

One of the gals with the World Edition has a true and full call log plus true reconcile. I have neither.

One of them with the Curve is limited to storing 10 calls on her call log then they start dropping off. She's back to commingling her calls with her other messages, which she also hates.

I've now hidden the message folder and have only my e-mail folder.

I'm using the green phone button for my call log, but I still can't tell when I have a missed call.

Sounds are difficult.

Voicemail is tricky too. I can't always tell when I have a message. And there appears to be only one voicemail tone alert given.

The trackball is only so-so. Editing the phone number in a contact list is very difficult as the I-beam bounces all over the place. Nearly impossible to get it to stay put long enough to edit a number.

I'm sorry that I didn't give more thought to the touch screen, although the Storm wasn't an option and I heard nothing but problem reports about it anyway.

Overall, I'm finding this to be a marginal machine for everyday use. But it appears that I'm stuck with the thing for the next two years.

I hope someone at BBerry really rethinks some of their functionality and useability choices with this thing.

Business use needs to be targeted to folks outside of BES. There are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of small business owners that use resources other than ES. And we're very efficient with them.

So ... I'll be a voice against the purchase of a Blackberry for every small business owner I know that also uses Outlook on their computer w/o the use of Exchange Server.
There are a lots of people using Blackberry for small business that I know personally. They are all on Verizon, but I donxxx8217;t think it has anything to do with Sprint or you r phone. I think some of the problems that you are having is because Comcastxxx8217;s e-mail is too basic. . If I was you I would not use Comcast as my main mail provider. The reason I say that is if you want to go to something cheaper or faster you are strapped down to Comcast because they own the E-mail domain. I always tell people to use Gmail or hotmail. The nice thing about Gmail is that they are owned by Google so they are not going away. Unlike numbers you canxxx8217;t port you e-mail address yet.

Now on the Storm, as you know this is a forum for people to ask questions and to complain. So I would not trust everything you read saying that the Storm is no good. I have 4 storms in my household and 1 Tour in my household. I have corp. BES on my main storm and we all use Gmail, and it works great. I think the Storm 2 when it comes out will be a better phone but I am very happy with my Storm. All the Storm is the 3rd most sold phone in the world so that has to mean something.

Well I wish you luck, on what every you decide to do. If you want or need more help I will try my best and I am sure there are lots of people here to back me up and help you out.

Here is something I found that Verizon maybe can help? I would not give up to fast on your phone yet.
HELP! I can't use comcast email on my storm - BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry 9500 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Last edited by lostman72; 08-19-2009 at 02:37 AM..
Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #33
GNemes

Thanks, you two for your comments. Yesterday was a long complex day which just highlighted my BB frustration. Lots of calls and a difficult time with them.

Anyway, just FYI, there's more to the Comcast thing than just email.

I'm a Realtor, which may help you understand the whole "I need my phone!" thing. Agents use their phones as their life blood. Under no circumstances would I ever be on hotmail ... too many difficulties getting mail blocked when sending listings and links, etc.

I well and truly haven't played significantly with gmail. I'd still need to use Outlook to manage my mail as I have highly categorized address books & rules set up, along with linking every message possible to a contact, etc. I don't know yet how Outlook handles gmail.

The whole multiple category w/contacts is another frustration point w/the BB. It doesn't appear to sync categories at all, let alone multiple ones. For example, while out in the field with a bit of free time I may want to touch base by phone to folks that have bought a house using my services. Or perhaps those where I've lisetd their home. Two different categories. Or even just people that have used my services at all. Considering that I have agents, vendors, suppliers, etc. on my contact list, and Outlook has them nicely categorized for me, wouldn't you think I should be able to just see that category?

But using both gmail and comcast seems cumbersome. Again, my contact list is customized and working well. I'm loath to abandon ship there just to meet the needs of my phone.

I'll go take a look at your Bold link.

Thanks again.

-- Gabrielle
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #34
lostman72

Wirelessly posted

G-mail works well in outlook.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #35
lostman72

Quote:

But using both gmail and comcast seems cumbersome. Again, my contact list is customized and working well. I'm loath to abandon ship there just to meet the needs of my phone.
I don't want you to abandon ship because of your phone. I just don't want you to be held prisoner by Comcast if you every find something better.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #36
GNemes

I'm buried today. I'll take a look at gmail asap
Thanks.
Closed Thread