BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Wiseass
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW
Default 8700c non-issues - Am I one of the lucky few?

Please Login to Remove!

I come here daily and lurk on the forums, see all the posts about the dust particles under the screen, scratches on the screen/bezel, and yet, I beat the living heck out of my 8700c and thankfully not a problem yet.

I've had the device since November 28th and dropped it at least a dozen times onto the ground (tile floor in the office, carpet at home, down the carpeted stairs, garage floor (that one the battery cover came off and battery popped out) and even just a few days ago into about a 1/2" of snow (face up thankfully) when I was getting out of the car. (Wonderful Midwest weather!)

The case is scratched to all hell, but thankfully, and knock on wood, there has yet to be seen a speck of dust (at least that I can see or anyone else can see) under the screen or a scratched screen (no protector on there either, stock plastic holster still).

The corners of my unit look like a dog chewed on it from all the times it's hit the harder surfaces (garage floor and the parking lot), but nothing rattles, the thing still works and doesn't have any issues that have come up yet.

This unit was provided by work, and being the the one who sets these up, my boss basically gave me carte blanche with them, if it breaks, I'll just order another one, hell we had a guy drop his 7100g off the boat into Lake Michigan, he didn't bother to go after it however and we got another one without thinking twice.

Call me a bit unethical here, granted I know im basically spending someone elses money if this thing breaks or gets damaged and I just order a replacement, but its not like I drop this thing on purpose to test it and see how well it stands up to different situations (although I might since we do have an extra one here that no one will really miss ). I use it like it's meant to be used, and dont think twice when I drop it. I pick it up, brush off the snow/whatever and put it back in the holster.

I look at it like it gets used every day, theres going to be scratches on the case, bezel, maybe even the screen, but hey, it comes with the territory if you ask me.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I havn't had any major issues like some of the posters here, but then again, I'm amazed it's lasted this long considering what I put it through.

A big to Blackberry and RIM on what I consider a great device, and on par durability wise with my previous ones (6280, 7290 and 7100g).
Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

It's a tool! I agree with you. There is another thread in this forum whining about scratches on the bezel. I have no dust. No screen gouges or scratches. Volume works well. Makes and receives phone calls, emails and I can check what I need to check on the 'net. It ain't black and I don't care. It's a tool! I have dropped it and it still works, with some abrasion on the edges. People need to get a grip. Thanks!

There were very high expectations for this product, not only in terms of function but of form. There was bound to be those whose expectations were not met, and furthermore - those that are happy with a product seldom seek to vent!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Same here. No problems.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Same here. Mine is working great! Got hung in a loop once, but removing the battery and rebooting fixed that problem.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Default Whew

I was beginning to think that there were no people who hadn't had an issue with the 8700c... I should have mine sometime today and pray that i dont have any issues.

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
SnDmN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have no issues with mine either. This is a great "business/personal tool".

Lurking early on I did a few things to help prevent wear and tear, such as ordered a screen guard and put some felt on the inside of the plastic OEM clip...ver basic things really. Screen guard hasn't shown yet and might not have helped yesterday.

Was getting out of my car and the BB slammed face down on the asphalt parking lot. I picked it up and it was rebooting. Have had no problems at all since then. Even after falling there are only a few minor knicks around the bezel and one small knick on the body.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

No problems with my unit, either. The only problems I've had are with cingular's network and their incompetent CSRs. (But I haven't looked for dust under the screen yet.)
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
justelise
No longer Registered.

I am in the same boat with torifile. The only real problems I have had have been with Cingular and their inability to get their ducks in a row. I got mine the day after Thanksgiving (if I recall) and have had no dust under the screen and no manufacturer's defects. I've dropped it a couple of times and only got some light scratching on the back. My screen looks like it did the day I bought it. It makes me wonder if some of the complaints and issues I have read here have been mostly inflicted by the users rather than the result of problems with the device.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have dropped my 8700c 4 times, and though it doesn't quit look like a dog has been chewing on it, more like it was run over by a bus ;) It does fall out of the holster easier than my 7290 but I have no dust or have had any problems with it. I do wish it was black, so the scratches wouldn't be so noticable.

ps. I don't have nor plan to put a screen cover on it, maybe that will be a mistake, but then I don't eat lunch on the screen, so why should it need a cover?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Mine is scratched after dropping it while walking at the gas station (from the pump to cashier). Not bad enough to be distracting, but if I had bought it (and not my employer) I would be pissed
Old 12-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justelise
It makes me wonder if some of the complaints and issues I have read here have been mostly inflicted by the users rather than the result of problems with the device.
Ya think????
There is another thread by a guy who scratches his device and hopes everyone will too so RIM will, somehow, replace his device....go figure.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #12
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got mine the day after Thanksgiving. Put a Writerite screen protector on which was cut to cover the screen and the silver bezel. Reasonably careful but not obsessive. (only one drop on to carpet so far). I carry it in my briefcase in the OEM plastic holster. No scratches on screen. No dust. Doesn't seem quite as sturdy as the 7280 I had but seems more solid than the 7100 series some of my friends have. No software or tech issues so far either.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
SnDmN

Model: 8700C
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoM
Ya think????
There is another thread by a guy who scratches his device and hopes everyone will too so RIM will, somehow, replace his device....go figure.
Maybe we should see about getting him one of those clear plastic display cases you put autographed balls in. LOL
Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Well, I was going to wait until I had mine for a full month, but here goes. Got mine on Nov 25. No dust, the only scratch was when I made a miniscule one between the screen and the Send button, correcting a mis-placement of my screen protector. Some slight rub indication on the space key from the holster that can only be seen in certain lighting conditions.

The only problem I have is the battery capacity. Not near the life I got with my 7290. Guess I'll just have to get a spare battery.

I am one happy 8700 camper.
Rcbjr
Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I would say my battery is better than my 7290, I get about 4 days out of it and I have more apps and do more browsing with the 8700c.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #16
jerdubois

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT/Cingular

I've had mine over 2 weeks. It has been, in one word, fantastic. I had the first generation BB, went to a Moto MPX (original), then to a Treo 600, Treo 650, and now this. I think I like this best. It has the same reliability of the first gen BB, the productivity and BT of the Treo650 without the constant hanging and loops. I have only had to reset it once.

In fact, I even spilled water all over my desk last week, and though I reacted quickly to save the laptop and my BB, I did get some in the 8700c. I got spooked when I saw the screen flicker, so I immediately pulled the battery out and ran downstairs to put the hair-dryer on it for 15 mins. Came back, put the battery back in and everything works, good as new!

But the biggest improvement has been in BES 4.0 - wireless reconcile and sync is by far the best productivity enhancement ANYONE could as for on this device!

Only real complaints -
1) No MMC/SD
2) No file browsing
3) Wierd BT sync w/ my BT car unit (Parrott CK3100) creating a seperate record for every person/phone number combo in my contacts :(

Big thumbs up!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
jdoolitt

No problems with mine. This is my first Blackberry and I have been pleasantly surprised as to how it holds up and functions. You want to see scratches? Pick up a Video iPod... yikes.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Remember that forums like this one are a good place for people with issues to congregate. I've had no problems with my 8700, and none of the dozen or so people here with them have any complaints. People don't join a forum to say "My 8700 has had no problems"...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Remember that forums like this one are a good place for people with issues to congregate. I've had no problems with my 8700, and none of the dozen or so people here with them have any complaints. People don't join a forum to say "My 8700 has had no problems"...
Exactly! Just like newspapers don't print "Today nobody got robbed in Trenton". OK, maybe not that, but they do not print no news.

The problem is that this constant kevetching sometimes drives people away from an excellent product. The kevetchers seldom post "My 8700C may have a problem in XXXX", they usually reach maximum hyperbole instantly and post "My 8700c suxs!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
Wiseass

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Maybe a post like this was a good idea. To sort of show that not every unit is defective. I love the 8700 and reccomend it to all of our current and potential users. And ill agree the wireless sync with BES 40 is the best thing ever! No more server connections in notes and no software to configure. Those that want to charge via the pc? I just have them load the desktop software (also loads the driver to charge) and uncheck the option to start the software at each boot. Works like a charm