Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
cslmoney1

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Using Blackberry in europe from Canada

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I recently purchased and used the Bold in Canada from Rogers and subsequently unlocked it. I have just moved to Ireland where I tried to purchase a blackberry plan for emails and bbm. However, the network I tried to purchase from informed me that because i used the handset in canada, it was 'locked' to that network and I would not be able to use the phone for emails. I bought a pay-as-you go sim card which works so the handset is unlocked. I read somewhere that I need rogers to release my imei number or some blackberry device code? is this true? I'm going to school in ireland for 4 years so this would be quite frustrating if I just wasted 700$

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by cslmoney1; 09-06-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You need a BlackBerry data plan for email and BBM. The only pay-as-you-go service that offers this right now is Orange UK.

If your Bold is still associated with your old BIS account with Rogers you will have to get it removed, either by calling Rogers or by canceling your BIS account completely. As long as its unlocked (using the pay-as-you-go card proves that it is) and not associated with another BIS account you can use it with any GSM carrier that has BlackBerry data plans. Without the BlackBerry plan, you only get phone and SMS.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
cslmoney1

Thanks so much for the help!

I was unsure if canceling my BIS will allow me to use BB Data in ireland or does will that just cancel all email and data usage? I really want to use email and bbm for the handset. Will rogers be willing to release my BIS account? Which method do you suggest to do? I do appreciate the help!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

If you cancel your BIS plan with Rogers you can then get a local BIS plan in Ireland and get your email, BBM, etc. through them.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
cslmoney1

I am going to try and cancel the BIS plan tomorrow and hopefully set up an account the next day. Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
cslmoney1

I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I canceled my BIS account in canada and now my bb is up and running in ireland. I can't thank you enough!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I love it when a plan comes together.
Closed Thread