Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
xlastshotx
No longer Registered.

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Have to have a data plan?

Please Login to Remove!

I just switch to T-Mobile, I can get a Blackberry Pearl 8120 from T-Mobile without having to get a data plan. But I would much rather have the larger blackberry curve (I have big hands). So I was wondering if I bought a used T-Mobile blackberry curve off craigslist or something, would I have to get a data plan? (if I bought a curve from T-Mobile I would have to get a data plan)
Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

T-mobile does not require you to have a data plan.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And you will be limited to voice and SMS text without a data plan.
You will need to load a third party browser also.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Honestly, if you don't want a BlackBerry data plan, there are much better mobile devices out there. Look at the Nokia E71, for example. It works great with TZones ($5.99/month) for web browsing and getting email through the Nokia email client. Of course it's not as polished as the BlackBerry at handling email, but then without the BlackBerry data plan you're not going to get email anyway. If you can stand Windows Mobile, the Moto Q is a good choice as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Before you buy a used BB, make sure you read the FAQ article on buying a used BB from eBay. Even if you aren't buying from that source, the information is the same. Buying a used BB isn't the same as buying an ordinary cell phone or other PDA.

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
xlastshotx
No longer Registered.

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Honestly, if you don't want a BlackBerry data plan, there are much better mobile devices out there. Look at the Nokia E71, for example. It works great with TZones ($5.99/month) for web browsing and getting email through the Nokia email client. Of course it's not as polished as the BlackBerry at handling email, but then without the BlackBerry data plan you're not going to get email anyway. If you can stand Windows Mobile, the Moto Q is a good choice as well.
Well my primary reason for wanting a blackberry is that it is the best phone that tmobile offers without a data plan and it works with tmobiles Hotspot@Home. There are very few choices of phones that work with hotspot@home, and the blackberry pearl is one of the only affordable smartphones that works with that. I may get a data service a couple months down the road though if I feel I really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Before you buy a used BB, make sure you read the FAQ article on buying a used BB from eBay. Even if you aren't buying from that source, the information is the same. Buying a used BB isn't the same as buying an ordinary cell phone or other PDA.

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ
Thanks, a very useful faq .

Idk, there arnt to many good deals on blackberries in my price range in my area on craigs list rite now. I think I may just go with the pearl from tmobile, since it is only $70 dollars. And later when a good deal pops up on craigs list Ill grab a curve.

Also, even if I dont get the data plan. Wouldn't I still be able to access my emails, and use other online software when I am connected to wifi?

Last edited by xlastshotx; 09-14-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You MUST have a BB data plan to connect to RIM for push email and BBMessenger. No way aroud it if you want email - other than perhaps OWA or using Gmail. But I think even those will require some sort of data plan, not just WiFi.

However, Y-Mo does have some screwy/different plans that might work.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
TG7

Model: Bold
Carrier: 02

I'm pretty sure you need a BB Data plan as BB have there own secure servers and normal internet will not work.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

That is incorrect. You can use a non-BB data plan and a third party browser (Opera Mini, for one), and browse. No dowloads, no push e-mail. But you WILL have browsing.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Yup BBs will work with normal generic, non-smartphone data plans. But few carriers these day have this option since naturally they want you to have the BB data plan for your BB.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
.:BK:.
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Actually, until very recently T-mobile did not require you to have a data plan for the full term of the contract, but only for 2 months until your rebate was processed. I am now eligible and waiting to upgrade to the Onyx and have been told that a data plan is required for the full duration of the contract and can't be removed (you will pay for it one way or another I've been told).
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Yes, Tmobile recently followed suit with the other carriers in requiring data plans for BlackBerries. Pearls and Pearl Flips are exempt thus far. But BBs should still work with a regular generic data plan. Additionally, if you buy your own phone, I don't think they would require you to get a BB plan.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
Jim Carroll

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMO

I have a generic data plan with TMO, just switched it today, unlimited talk, text, data $85/month. Previously payed 100.00 without data. thanks to tmo.

www.thebrickcleaner.com
Closed Thread