Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
rsherid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New to BlackBerry -- a couple questions from a noob

Please Login to Remove!

1.) Is there a way to rearrange the menu items so that the Phone is the very first button?

2.) When typing is there a way to get the letter to pop up big like with the iPhone? So, for example, when I hover the letter 'A,' will a big 'A' pop up?

3.) Where can I get apps? Do I just have to go to my favorite individual pages and download them from there?

4.) I don't want any notifications of new e-mails so I turned ringer/vibration off. However, when it's in locked mode, it still vibrates. I need this off! It's annoying.

Last edited by rsherid; 10-27-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
1.) Is there a way to rearrange the menu items so that the Phone is the very first button?
Highlight the Phone icon and then push Menu and select move. Tap the space where you want the phone to move to.

Quote:
2.) When typing is there a way to get the letter to pop up big like with the iPhone? So, for example, when I hover the letter 'A,' will a big 'A' pop up?
There is a caps key you have to tap and then the letter to get capital letters. It will auto cap for you if its the first word of a sentence.

Quote:
3.) Where can I get apps? Do I just have to go to my favorite individual pages and download them from there?
Go to BlackBerry App World. You can get have the website email you links to download from or you can download the actual App World app onto your device and download from there.

Quote:
4.) I don't want any notifications of new e-mails so I turned ringer/vibration off. However, when it's in locked mode, it still vibrates. I need this off! It's annoying.
Click on Profiles, Edit Profile, then make sure Vibration is turned off for Messages. Or just do Phone Calls only.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
rsherid

Thanks, big help. Just two things:

- I accidentally hid the Games icon. How can I put it back?

- Does it have to vibrate then if it's in Locked Mode? I keep it locked since it's in my pocket most of the day and I don't want it accidentally dialing, but I also don't want my pocket to be vibrating every couple of minutes when I get a new email.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
rsherid

Also, can I turn off landscape view when turned to the right or left?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
Thanks, big help. Just two things:

- I accidentally hid the Games icon. How can I put it back?

- Does it have to vibrate then if it's in Locked Mode? I keep it locked since it's in my pocket most of the day and I don't want it accidentally dialing, but I also don't want my pocket to be vibrating every couple of minutes when I get a new email.

From the Applications Screen - Menu/Show All Then highlight the Games folde Menu/Hide and the folder will be visible again. Then Menu/Show All and the folders you hid will go back to being hidden.

It does not. If you place the device in "Phone Calls Only" (Sounds/Phone Calls Only) the handheld will not vibrate unless you changed or modified that sound profile.

As for your next post, there is software out there that will lock the screen in the portrait or landscape mode. "Stoptilt" is one and "Quicklaunch" is another. There may be more out there. A Google search will produce results.

Good Luck