BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Anyone having issues with Google Maps and iHeart radio apps?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I just got my 9550 Storm 2 last night. I tried installing iheart radio and everything works but only in "Potrait view" and only displayed on the upper half of the screen with the lower half displaying a permanent view of the "sure-type" keyboard which I can't get ride of. I have the same scenario with Google Maps! Everything works but only on the upper half of the screen in Portrailt view with the Sure-type keyboard displayed and I can't swipe, close or hide it away.

Anyone else experiencing these issues with these apps or any other apps for that matter on their Storm 2 (9550) ?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 3312e4fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
Hello,

I just got my 9550 Storm 2 last night. I tried installing iheart radio and everything works but only in "Potrait view" and only displayed on the upper half of the screen with the lower half displaying a permanent view of the "sure-type" keyboard which I can't get ride of. I have the same scenario with Google Maps! Everything works but only on the upper half of the screen in Portrailt view with the Sure-type keyboard displayed and I can't swipe, close or hide it away.

Anyone else experiencing these issues with these apps or any other apps for that matter on their Storm 2 (9550) ?

Thank you in advance!
Your apps are in "compatibility mode" it sounds like. Options/Applications, highlight the app, hit menu and select "Disable Compatibility Mode."

Double check versions as well. I've never used iheart radio, but Google has downloaded non-touch aware versions of Google Maps to my storm on multiple occasions.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the advice Maddman. I'll give that a try.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey Maddman, I tried what you suggested it worked in only making both the apps appear the way they should in full screen but they did not work or respond at all. So I deleted the google maps and kept the iheart app and just switched it back to the compatibility mode now it works at least but made it appear small on the upper portion of the screen with the "suretype" keyboard appearing in the Portrait mode only, Landscape mode doesn't even respond.

Can you or anyone please tell me what version and or settings I should use for Google Maps?? I really liked and used Google Maps often when I had my Storm 1. I don't want to use the crappy BB maps as that doesn't work very well.

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
traveling guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't go over the horizon if you got Verizon
Default Same here

I have the same problems with Google Maps, Ver. 3.2.1 also on my Storm 2.

The Google Map app on the Droid is absolutely awesome, maybe we'll get the same some day.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
Hey Maddman, I tried what you suggested it worked in only making both the apps appear the way they should in full screen but they did not work or respond at all. So I deleted the google maps and kept the iheart app and just switched it back to the compatibility mode now it works at least but made it appear small on the upper portion of the screen with the "suretype" keyboard appearing in the Portrait mode only, Landscape mode doesn't even respond.

Can you or anyone please tell me what version and or settings I should use for Google Maps?? I really liked and used Google Maps often when I had my Storm 1. I don't want to use the crappy BB maps as that doesn't work very well.

Thanks again!
That means the apps aren't touch compatible. Google Maps should be though, but I just fired it up on my Storm2 and I had a version in compatiblity mode as well. I'll try and figure out what's up and report back.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just downloaded a clean copy of Google Maps from m.google.com/maps, and it came up in compat. mode, but works fine with the touch screen once it's turned off.

Maybe iHeartRadio Beta Now Availble For BlackBerry Storm will help you with iheart.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Gnomad

There is a new version of iheart radio that works with the Storm 2 touchscreen. It is version 2.2.0 If you go to iheartradio.com and click on Radio Stations you will see where it says Listen on Blackberry. Click on that and it will take you to the download page.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
traveling guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I finally got my Google Maps to work in the touch screen mode but only in Portrait Mode by ensuring that Compatibility Mode was turned on. I can't hide the Sure Type Keyboard though, but if you did you wouldn't be able to Zoom IN or OUT.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling guy View Post
I finally got my Google Maps to work in the touch screen mode but only in Portrait Mode by ensuring that Compatibility Mode was turned on. I can't hide the Sure Type Keyboard though, but if you did you wouldn't be able to Zoom IN or OUT.
Do you have your blackberry browser set to identify as Firefox or IE? Google will give you the wrong version of their mobile apps OTA if you do.

If you did have that set, try removing Google Maps and making sure your blackberry browser is set to identify as "Blackberry." Then go to m.google.com/maps on the blackberry and download a new copy.

I still had to manually turn off compat. mode though, but Maps works perfectly, fully touch aware, screen rotation works, etc.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
traveling guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info as it now works the way I hoped! After I followed your instructions, the app now displays a full screen map in Portrait or Landscape Mode with two little magnifying glasses (-) and (+) which can be used to Zoom In or Out.
Closed Thread