BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
BigDinTexas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default n00b Question for all the experts. :)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey there folks... I am going to start this thread by stating upfront that I have used the search feature and the FAQ section. I would be using the phone for personal use (not for work) and school. I am fairly tech savvy (A+ certified tech, and an MCP), so I am not afraid of modifying my toys/tools.

Now that I have cleared the air in that respect, I need some advice.

I recently took advantage of a contract upgrade and used an online merchant (Wirefly, specifically) to order the Bold 9700. I had visited the AT&T store and played with both the 9000 and the 9700. I liked the size and overall comfort of the 9000, but side by side, the 9700 was faster, especially browsing (I was able to direct both to the same website and the 9700 absolutely screamed, while the 9000 was still loading). I am not trying to turn this into the age old "which-is-better" debate, because frankly, reading the threads from the searches, it appears to be a dead horse that has been beaten shamelessly.

Well, this is where I am today: The package arrived and they sent me a 9000. I can choose to send it back with an RMA at no cost to me and have them send me the 9700 (that I originally wanted because of the speediness, if there is such a thing) or keep it. But after some reading here and a few other sites/forums, it appears an upgrade to the OS5 may level the playing field a bit, possibly causing me to rethink my original decision.

The question I have for you all is this: In my position, would you upgrade the OS to 5 and keep it, or send it back for the 9700?

I ask this because I have not even powered it up, but i only have a few days to decide. I know that there are some people who have upgraded their 9000's who love it, and some who for whatever reason had to downgrade to 4.6.

Would the 9700 with native OS5 be more stable and user friendly than say the 9000 with an OS5 upgrade?

If I perform the upgrade, following the instructions listed on the FAQ, what should I be prepared for? Since there are no 3rd party aps installed by me yet, are there any that are preloaded from AT&T that I should be weary of?

Folks, thanks in advance for your help and honest feedback, and sorry for the length.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 02-06-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The 9700 is the latest technology BB. I suggest that you go to the RIM site and do a side-by-side comparison of the two and compare them feature by feature, if you have not done that already.

Upgrading the OS is generally a safe, non eventful procedure that can take an hour or more to complete. Then you have to continually tweak and play with the settings, apps, etc. to get them to your liking. But in the unlikely event that if something does go wrong, you could end up with an expensive paperweight.

However, if I were you and ordered the 9700, I would return it and get the device you ordered/wanted in the first place. That will stop any second-guessing you may have and by-pass any potential issues with upgrading the OS.

Just my 5 cents.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000

I would send it back and get the 9700. Although many people like the size of 9000, the 9700 is just faster, probably because of double the app memory. Even if you update the 9000 to os 5.0, your memory will be a bit on the low side.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
PapiPabs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: occhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirulz29 View Post
I would send it back and get the 9700. Although many people like the size of 9000, the 9700 is just faster, probably because of double the app memory. Even if you update the 9000 to os 5.0, your memory will be a bit on the low side.

Cosigned. I love my 9000, and while it's quicker with OS 5.0 loaded, I would definitely send it back for the 9700 if I were in your shoes. It's got the better camera, trackpad (I haven't really had too many issues with the trackball, but it seems like others have. The trackpad seems to be getting mainly positive feedback), extra flash memory, better battery life, etc... I've actually been contemplating picking up a 9700 myself, but I figure my contract is up in November and something better may be out by then. Perhaps I’ll give patience a try for once. LOL

Bottom line, Dubdub's idea is a good one. Checking out the side-by-side comparison of the two devices will allow you to see which device stacks up better in the areas that are most important to you.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I won't be lengthy. The 9000 is probably the best device ever made by RIM. Until the 9700.

Get the 9700.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I won't be lengthy. The 9000 is probably the best device ever made by RIM. Until the 9700.

Get the 9700.
Best advice anybody could give.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
BigDinTexas

Wirelessly posted

Well, I'm going to give the weekend. I already installed OS 5.0.0.464 and it is extremely fast, stable so far, and the screen and keyboard are incredible. Thanks for the feedback and I will post again soon.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
BigDinTexas

Default Okay... Update time..

Well, after playing with the 9000 all weekend, I have decided to return the 9000. The OS upgrade to 5.0.0.464 was stable for the most part, and speedy, but still not perfect. BBMaps icon disappears after a few minutes, even after using it. The battery life was great all weekend while in 3G but today while at work, the battery dropped from 100% charged to 55% in under 4 hours... I am sure the constant switching from 3G to EDGE to no signal (signal sucks where I work). The battery thing kinda did it for me though... So it is restored to OS4.6 and in the box to be sent to the FedEx people in the morning... I guess I will be getting the 9700 after all.

BTW, my experience with Wirefly went from great to really sucky in three seconds flat. I will never deal with them again. Caveat emptor.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 02-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: reworded for clarity
Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Thats because AT&T still block BB Maps. It will disappear on the 9700 too.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

heh, so with all the advice here, you still got the 9000?

I hope you'll enjoy the 9700.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
BigDinTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
heh, so with all the advice here, you still got the 9000?

I hope you'll enjoy the 9700.
Unfortunately, I did not get the 9000 because I wanted it... It was because Wirefly screwed up and sent me the 9000...

On a related note, I will say that my experience with them has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth and would never do business with them again. I was the proverbial "bait and switch." Long story short is that I contacted them as soon as I received the invoice for my order and saw they ordered me the wrong phone and was told they could not do anything about it, that I had to wait to receive the wrong phone and get an RMA to request the exchange for the phone I originally wanted. I was not happy, but accepted that. I decided to give the 9000 a chance since it was being sent to me whether I wanted it or not. Well, you know I decided to send it back, but when I contacted them yesterday to process the RMA for an exchange for the correct phone I ordered, they told me they would gladly do that, but I had to pay an additional $75 and change my rate plan to a more costly one (not talking about the data part, but the minutes) if I wanted to get the phone I ordered originally, but they screwed up (whether intentional or accidental, I don't know). I told them that I would take my business elsewhere and to issue an RMA for a refund instead. Now I will be without a cell phone (the activated SIM had to go back with the phone) for the next 5 to 7 business days if I am lucky (how long it will probably take FedEx ground to send it back). Once they get it in their warehouse it will take another 24 hours to release my account so I can contact AT&T to activate my old SIM. I am not a happy camper I tell you.

Let's hope I love the 9700 as much as it seems everyone else here does.
Thanks,
Don
Closed Thread