Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #61
bako.li

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2 UK

Please Login to Remove!

hi gents just updated it, it is solid and stable OS

my memory increased by 7mb

a bit slower on deleting big files like 1gb movies from sd card compared to previouse OS
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #62
TagsVC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Updated last week from the latest AT&T release, seems like a solid OS, only gripes are

i) Lock issues made me revert to the AT&T release (preference not a downfall of the OS)
ii) Battery life based on my usage is worse with this one than that of the previous OS
iii) The battery meter when connected via BT on my car isn't accurate
Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #63
Burgs

Carrier: optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Package Version: 5.0.0.994
Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.586
* Software Platform: 5.1.0.146
* File name: 9700M_PBr5.0.0_rel994_PL5.1.0.146_A5.0.0.586_COSMO TE.exe
* File size: 131.94MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software : https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...3779A17ADF1707

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 9700:
1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Vista/Win7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a black "BlackBerry" screen with a status bar for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again, and it should load the OS to the device.

For the previous OS, see this link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
What about Mac users?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #64
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

You need to be running a Windows environment in a virtual machine or via some dual boot environment like BootCamp. I am not aware of any way to do the upgrade within the native Mac environment.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #65
JeeBee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

I've downloaded the 9700M_PBr5.0.0_rel994_PL5.1.0.146_A5.0.0.586_COSMO TE.exe and installed it on my Blackberry:

- it now says I'm running on 5.0.0.593??? (deleting the vendor file and running the loader.exe again will not prompt me to update, only downgrade?)

- there is some discussion about the lock function (left top button), this works with .593 but it doesn't lock with a password, when I press the button again it unlocks without requesting the configured password. I read that there are some changes via this URL:

View Document

But the lock function on the left top button has also disabled the lock with a password? So the only option now is to press the extra icon which is showed when configuring a password on my BB?

Last edited by JeeBee; 04-14-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #66
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Did you update with Desktop Manager or with the link above? The link above is still for .586. If you used Desktop Manager it's possible that your carrier pushed out .593 to you and your update was done from that and not the OS you installed.

As for the new lock features, if you set a password you can assign a convenience key for that or you can push and hold K (you may need to disable "dial from home screen" for this to work.)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #67
shrienki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Has anyone tried Google Sync + BB Calendar on this version?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #68
JeeBee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Did you update with Desktop Manager or with the link above? The link above is still for .586. If you used Desktop Manager it's possible that your carrier pushed out .593 to you and your update was done from that and not the OS you installed.

As for the new lock features, if you set a password you can assign a convenience key for that or you can push and hold K (you may need to disable "dial from home screen" for this to work.)
I've downloaded the file from the link above and run the setup, then I run the install from the Desktop Manager a few options and the latest one was .593 but I thought this one was .994 but it is .586. It's no problem but I asked it because of the lock function without password.

In .593 I can't get the button K to work or I'm doing it wrong (disabling the dial from home screen doesn't help also)

What do you mean by " you can assign a convenience key for that ", I'm from The Netherlands and I don't understand this quite much

Last edited by JeeBee; 04-14-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #69
bryanus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Just updated to this os a couple days ago and noticed right away that it's much, much faster in "Marking prior opened".

But now I also just noticed the Lock and Mute buttons don't seem to work anymore.

I liked hitting the Lock button to lock the phone (I had a password set to unlock it). But now it just goes dim and needs to time out before it locks fully and requires a password when I wake it up. Is there a way to get the old functionality back?

Also, my Mute/Standy button doesn't do anything at all anymore. I searched, but couldn't find much about it, or why.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #70
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Seriously?? This has been posted about probably more than a hundred times on this forum and many others.

The "standby" feature is gone. It is now keypad lock (much the same as standby.)

If you have a password set, you can push and hold the letter K to password lock the device (you may need to disable "dial from home screen") or you can set a convenience key for password lock or you can click the password lock icon.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #71
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It was even posted about in this very thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1590238
Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #72
bryanus
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had read that BB document, but I guess it didn't register in my head the first time.

Is there a way to assign the old Mute button to something? Now when I push it, it plays one of my attachments (which was an audio file attached to an email I received and played earlier today; just the audio itself, no playback controls or interface otherwise). Can't seem to find what is controlling that button now.

Thanks.

Quote:
It was even posted about in this very thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1590238
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #73
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Sounds like you left the media player running in the background.

From the home screen hit the menu key. Do you see a menu item that says "Now Playing..."? Click that then exit the media player.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #74
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
What about Mac users?
You need to be running a Windows environment in a virtual machine or via some dual boot environment like BootCamp. I am not aware of any way to do the upgrade within the native Mac environment.
with Parallels Desktop 5 VM this will NOT work because the USB connection, even set doesn't quickly recognize the Berry and thus doesn't precede to begin loading the OS. Trust me I spent 6hrs trying every possible setting in SL & WinXP or Win7 to get this to work .. on 2 different Macs (uMB & Mac Mini)! I'm unsure about VMWare Fusion 3/4 though.

PS I don't run my VM with Boot Camp; my preference and MAYBE the key to my issues prior regarding USB detection speed.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #75
bryanus
Thumbs Must Hurt

I didn't have that menu option. It was playing over and over each time I hit the [former] Mute button. The only way I finally got rid of it was to open and play the attachment again from the email message. It seems to have stopped playing now thankfully.

But anyways, is there a way to configure the [former] Mute button to do anything now? How/where? TIA.

Quote:
Sounds like you left the media player running in the background.

From the home screen hit the menu key. Do you see a menu item that says "Now Playing..."? Click that then exit the media player.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #76
JeeBee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

If you have a password set, you can push and hold the letter K to password lock the device (you may need to disable "dial from home screen") or you can set a convenience key for password lock or you can click the password lock icon.
I've deleted the fast dial which was configured on my "K" butoon and disabled "dial from home screen" but it won't lock my phone it comes with the notification if I wan't to sign something to the "K" and the only thing I can choose are phonenumbers...(battery pull also doesn't help)? Maybe I don't understand you, or it has to do something with the OS version .593, or I'm doing it wrong but I can't get it to work that de "K" locks my BB.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #77
JeeBee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
I've deleted the fast dial which was configured on my "K" butoon and disabled "dial from home screen" but it won't lock my phone it comes with the notification if I wan't to sign something to the "K" and the only thing I can choose are phonenumbers...(battery pull also doesn't help)? Maybe I don't understand you, or it has to do something with the OS version .593, or I'm doing it wrong but I can't get it to work that de "K" locks my BB.
I found it, I need to push it only for a second then the buttons function when disabling the dial from home screen, but on my BB it locks the BB when pressing the button "G" and not de "K". I don't know if this is because of OS .593 but I don't like the function because when I hide the icon "Password Lock" the function won't work when pressing the "G" button

I hope that they fix a software release that my BB locks incl. password when pressing the left button on top...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #78
fluidimagery
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I'm trying to load .593 on my bold from 4.6 and can't seem to do it. I followed the notes on the first post, downloaded the .593 software, installed it, deleted the vendor.xml file, loaded the loader.exe file and it says "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer"

Any ideas, this is driving me nuts. All third party apps were backed up and erased from the phone, it's a clean slate.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #79
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

fluid, make sure your DM is closed. Even check your PC's running tasks and close DM.

Also, this thread is about OS .586

Last edited by JSanders; 04-15-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #80
fluidimagery
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

No good, uninstalled the .593 and installed the 586 from the link on the first post. Closed any bberry app in task manager, restarted the computer. Still same result.

It shouldn't matter that I have the 9700 from the day it was released? Do they have a new version of it that I don't know about?

Is there a way to add the alx manually?

Last edited by fluidimagery; 04-15-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Closed Thread